Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if you could live rent-free for a year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think of the rent free place as an addition to salary. So it's as if he's making almost $17000 more than whatever they'll pay him. If he's making the same amount of money (and you are making the same amount of money), then essentially a $17k raise. then figure if it's worth it to you guys.

Comment

Also im guessing you'll not be allowed to do this, but throwing it out there. you could pick up a roommate or two for $500 a month in rent paid to you. Suffer with 2 roommates for a year, and you'll make an extra 12k

Comment

~bs Yes - us being rent free will definitely be considered part of his initial salary. After a few months of him working there, he will then be able to sign a new contract with the company that will give him 15% of monthly profits, which sit around $50,000 right now and projected to grow (woo).

As far as renting a room... There is actually a finished basement we may consider renting out. It won't be until after a couple months though... We will want to enjoy our newly married life and get settled before we consider doing that. They haven't said anything about not being able to but we will definitely check before we do, of course.

Comment

Invest at least $1000 into the marketing of my business... Hopefully 10x that amount by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post
            Thanks for all the responses! To answer some of your questions...

2- We have two cars. One will be completely paid off next month (the beater that he will use to commute). I work remotely and there will be no change to my employment.

This is so underrated... Flexibility is the silent financial tool.. especially if you're able to move out of state without having to hinder your partner's ability to maximize his earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Save View Post

This is so underrated... Flexibility is the silent financial tool.. especially if you're able to move out of state without having to hinder your partner's ability to maximize his earnings.
              YES! I don't think I could go back to working in an office again...

Comment

Rent free, I would pay down/off my debt

Comment

buy an investment property. i mean it this year.
                  LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Wanted to update you all about this...

First, not everything that glitters is gold! And we are learning that the hard way... The previous tenants completely trashed the place before leaving and now his boss (also our landlord) would like us to cover some repairs and he says he will reimburse us. That isn't really sitting well with me. Because it is an older place, there are also a TON of things we just aren't okay with living with. (There is a huge hole in the floor by the back door, for instance... and a large leak in the ceiling towards the back of the house.)

We have been looking at places in the Atlanta area and are awaiting approval from a condo. (We have gotten approved as renters but the HOA needs to give us the okay on our dog... if he can't come, it is a deal breaker for us.)

How would you all handle this situation? "Free" or not, I don't feel I should have to take responsibility for repairing someone else's home. If I had money to shell out on home renovations and repairs, I'd own my own home...

Also - for context - the landlord/boss is in Germany and has no plans on coming this way for some time...

Comment

Mixing a landlord and boss is the real problem. He's thinking you're getting a free house so how about chipping in to make it livable. You're thinking that the landlord should provide you with a livable house. But he's also the boss, and that makes things more complicated.

I would tell him very nicely that you found a perfect place in a great location and thank him for all the assistance and the free place.

Or, try to tip toe on the tight wire of wanting a livable place and demanding that from the landlord. That could go south in a hurry and now you have no job and no place to live.

Comment

Originally posted by corn18 View Post
                        Mixing a landlord and boss is the real problem. He's thinking you're getting a free house so how about chipping in to make it livable. You're thinking that the landlord should provide you with a livable house. But he's also the boss, and that makes things more complicated.

I would tell him very nicely that you found a perfect place in a great location and thank him for all the assistance and the free place.

Or, try to tip toe on the tight wire of wanting a livable place and demanding that from the landlord. That could go south in a hurry and now you have no job and no place to live.
                        This - I'd shop for a new place.
                        [email protected]

Comment

The previous tenants completely trashed the place before leaving and now his boss (also our landlord) would like us to cover some repairs and he says he will reimburse us.
                          Absolutely not. Why should you have to lay out the money to fix his home? If you weren't going to move in, he'd have to fix it before he could rent it out. He should have to fix it for you guys to move in.

And I absolutely wouldn't have my boss be my landlord. That's a bad idea all around. Just asking for trouble. You don't want to be hounding your boss to fix broken stuff in your apartment and have him take it out on you in the workplace.
                          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                            And I absolutely wouldn't have my boss be my landlord. That's a bad idea all around. Just asking for trouble. You don't want to be hounding your boss to fix broken stuff in your apartment and have him take it out on you in the workplace.
                            Yes - this is definitely something we are realizing. When my husband was offered the job they offered us their rental home to stay in to help us get acclimated, which we thought was generous. In reality, they seem to have kicked the former tenants out days before we moved in and have done nothing as far as the house goes (I'm living here with two broken windows... it is really ridiculous.)

We are definitely shopping for a new place. If the condo I mentioned falls through, we have a few other options lined up... and he has had multiple other job offers down here as well. (We aren't sure if this current gig is even going to work out... they have lied a TON about the house and the state of the business before we came down. They've even alluded to him possibly not being paid on time some weeks.)

Definitely a few lessons learned here, but we are getting out of this house ASAP.

Comment

We aren't sure if this current gig is even going to work out... they have lied a TON about the house and the state of the business before we came down. They've even alluded to him possibly not being paid on time some weeks
                              Thatís even worse. I hope he gets a new job fast. He clearly needs to get out of that one pronto if the boss is chronically lying about various things. Thatís not a place he wants to be Iím sure.
                              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Thatís even worse. I hope he gets a new job fast. He clearly needs to get out of that one pronto if the boss is chronically lying about various things. Thatís not a place he wants to be Iím sure.
                                Definitely! We kind of got ourselves in a bind here being in their house... So we've got to move into a different place before he can get out of there. It has been a bit of a nightmare! There are a plethora of things we found out AFTER arriving that would have prevented us from uprooting and moving here, to begin with. However, there are many more job opportunities here for my husband than in Charlotte (because Porsche and Mercedes have headquarters here), so making the move itself was probably good... just what has come out of it immediately has been extremely difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                X