The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a 20 yard roll off dumpster coming today. Starting a big home remodel project soon, so we're going to use this as an opportunity to clean house and be rid of a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

Comment

Just listed 3 items on ebay.

Shipped the 2 sold items today also.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Sold a pricey item last night and shipped it this morning.

Came home, checked ebay, and got a bid on another higher priced item. I'll get that boxed up and ready to go. Auction still has 3 days to run.

Can't wait for warmer weather so I can really dive into the garage and start selling the treasures stored in there.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

3 bags to goodwill
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I cleaned out a photo album from my cousin. I'm not sure why I hadn't done this one when I did all the others. I didn't get rid of any photos but did get them sorted and dated and into envelopes that went in the box with all of his other photos that I kept. The album itself got tossed, so at least they're taking up a lot less space now.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
              I cleaned out a photo album from my cousin. I'm not sure why I hadn't done this one when I did all the others. I didn't get rid of any photos but did get them sorted and dated and into envelopes that went in the box with all of his other photos that I kept. The album itself got tossed, so at least they're taking up a lot less space now.
              What about scanning them into a digital form?
              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

What about scanning them into a digital form?
                I prefer physical photos. And I don't want to spend the time to do it myself, or the money to have someone else do it.

Our approach to photos at this point is to go through them and toss the ones that aren't meaningful. Over the past few years, we've thrown out thousands of photographs. We only saved the ones of people and some memorable events. For example, if we took our daughter to the zoo, we saved pictures of her or us but tossed the random shots of animals. We know what a giraffe looks like. We don't need a picture of one. We also got rid of pictures that didn't come out well, we blurry, poorly lit, etc.

I have a few boxes of my mom's photo albums in the garage. I've gone through some of them but need to do a lot more. That's on the list for the warmer weather.
                Steve

Comment

I did a little digital decluttering today. I removed a few apps from my phone that I haven't used in ages. One was a running tracker that I last used in 2017. I took screenshots of the annual summaries for the years I did use it just for my records. Another was the app I used to use to track my medical survey income, but I haven't used that since 2018 as I stopped doing the surveys when I switched to Urgent Care (I no longer qualify for almost all of them). And a few other random unused apps got cleared off.
                  Steve

Comment

This doesn't actually count as decluttering yet, but the weather was nice today so I got into the garage a bit this afternoon. I didn't get rid of anything but I did research and prep 7 ebay listings. I posted 4 of them today along with one from a couple of nights ago that I drafted but never listed.

I also shipped an item this morning that sold last night.

That takes me up to 80 active items on ebay. My current goal is to make at least $200/month profit (before taxes). Year to date, I'm running ahead of that with $474 so far.

ETA: Well turns out it counts as decluttering after all. One of the 4 items I listed from the garage today already sold.
                    Last edited by disneysteve; 03-02-2022, 05:45 PM.
                    Steve

Comment

Last Sunday another overflowing tote of stuff (mostly clothes) went from Mom's to Goodwill. It's gotten to where, if an area of her clothes closet gets full and there's something else that needs to be put away, I just tell her she has to choose what to let go to make room and she does it. Three years in the process is still painfully slow as far as I've concerned (she still has to look at and touch every dang thing), but it's easier. Have I mentioned recently that I can't even remember the last time she tripped over some crap on the floor and fell? Saving all us taxpayers some Medicare bills.

Comment

Got into the garage briefly tonight. I found a few things that need to be sold but also cleared out a bit of trash. Also, last night I was in there and brought in a carton of old mugs and glasses that need to be sold.

FYI I've decided to stop using this thread to report on my ebay sales. While that is decluttering in most cases, I feel like it's not really what this thread should be since I'm now doing ebay as more of a side business.

For the record, though, my 90-day sales total stands at $1,099 with 44 sales, so average of one sale every 2 days for the past 3 months. I anticipate that increasing steadily as I'm now devoting more time and attention to it. I currently have 85 items listed.

I'll stick to the non-ebay decluttering reports from now on. If you want to follow my ebay progress, check my blog as I'm going to try and update that more regularly.
                        Steve

Comment

4 boxes full of clothes and houseware items donated! Slowly but surely narrowing down to only the items we actually use or love.

I also broke out the Cricut and went on a labeling spree. Our home has never been so organized!

Comment

I haven't posted for a bit but that's because most of my efforts have been geared toward selling on ebay. I have spent more time in the garage lately though and I've been getting rid of some stuff that wasn't worth selling. I took one carton of assorted stuff to Goodwill today. I have another box partially filled. A couple of days ago while I was working in there, I posted something on our Buy Nothing group and someone picked it up a few minutes later. A number of items have also gone in the trash.
                            Steve

Comment

Keeping on with the process at my mom's house. Another major area (her bathroom cabinet & counter) has been decluttered AND maintained at subsequent visits (I put away anything I find out of place in the previously-cleared areas). Getting that area whipped in to shape involved putting a couple large bags in the trash (a bit hard on mom) and not raising a fuss about past-their-prime lotions staying (a bit hard on me). I pick my battles ... 12 year past exp date prescriptions are GONE, molding creams are GONE, but slightly separating hand lotion can stay. We've even done a couple cute things (putting marbles the grandkids used to play with in a glass jar on a window ledge and arranging those slightly separating lotions in a pretty basket to make the area not only organized & accessible but attractive.

I snapped a photo of something to send to one of my sisters from inside mom's closet and she commented on how nice it was to see that area maintained a couple years (3 maybe?) after I first got it cleared out.

Comment

I had a "use what you already have for organizing" win today:

DH has been emptying the contents of his pockets on the kitchen counters when he comes in the house. I'm not a big fan of that (understatement). I decided to set up a designated area where those things go. My mind first went to "I'll jump online and look for a stylish valet tray" but I immediately tapped the mental brakes on that and then started thinking about what we already have that I could use. I pulled 2 china serving pieces out of the cabinet (a couple of those larger pieces that are for when company comes over and nowadays we hardly use) and asked DH if one of those would work. He chose the one he liked (a rectangular sandwich tray) and I gathered up his stray items and put them on that. It's now on the counter just inside the door from the garage. Since it's china, it doesn't look out of place in the kitchen. DH told me there was nothing but his wallet to go on it. But here's what I actually gathered up off of the counters: Wallet, eyeglasses, earbuds, pack of gum, bandages, golf tee, and some random part that I have no idea what it is.
                                Last edited by scfr; 05-25-2022, 03:57 PM. Reason: for clarity

Comment

Working...
                                X