The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brought in another carton of magazines from the garage yesterday. 14 years worth of one magazine. I started today by photographing and listing 4 years worth. I'll do more later. I say in my listing that shipping is discounted if you buy multiple lots and to check back as I'll be adding more years daily.

ETA: Added 4 more years worth.
    Last edited by disneysteve; 02-04-2022, 11:18 AM.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I took a garbage bag full of stuff to Goodwill today.

I listed 3 more items on ebay tonight.

And yesterday I ended up listing a total of 15 years worth of that magazine.

Oh I also listed something on Marketplace yesterday for my daughter.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

We went through our motorhome and got rid of a BUNCH of stuff. DH loves to tuck things away and save duplicates or things that "could" be useful. A good example: We had somehow collected about 12 different coffee mugs. Are we serving coffee for an entire campground? NO. So we kept 4 mugs, enough for both of us plus 2 guests, should we need extra mugs or in case one breaks. There was a lot of stuff like that, some for donation, and a lot of stuff that just needed to be tossed. A whole medium-sized home depot box full of stuff is headed to Goodwill, and that was just the RV. I told him we're going through the house next

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
          We had somehow collected about 12 different coffee mugs.
          A few years ago when we were doing the Marie Kondo thing, we gathered up EVERY piece of drinking glassware we owned, spread them all out on the kitchen table and counters, and sorted through it all. We ended up getting rid of over 100 items as I recall. We sold virtually every piece at our next yard sale. It was ridiculous how many things we had.
          Steve

Comment

I am getting rid of another 35 items at the consignment store
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Just got a bid on an auction ending tonight.

ebay has been slow for me this past week so I was happy to see something sell. I've currently got 63 listings (43 auctions, 20 buy it now) and this is the first sale since 2/2.
              Steve

Comment

Listed two new auctions on ebay
                Steve

Comment

Put a couple of little items on Marketplace. Updated numerous ebay listings to try and boost sales.
                  Steve

Comment

I have been clearing items from my Mom's since her death, and I gave a friend in assisted living the many packages of adult incontinence items (most never opened). She will either use to pass along to her friends in the facility.

Comment

My decluttering action today - I threw out some old medication that had expired in 2019.
                      james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
                        My decluttering action today - I threw out some old medication that had expired in 2019.
                        That's a good one. I always advise patients to go through the medicine cabinet at least once a year and throw out anything that is expired or more than one year old if not marked with an expiration date.
                        Steve

Comment

Not decluttering, but I changed out the batteries in a bunch of devices.
                          I noticed that the low battery light was flashing on my thermostat.
                          After changing it, I figured that I might as well check the remotes and smoke detectors too

Brian

Comment

Two items sold on ebay tonight.

I listed 5 more. I've had a bit of a lull on listing recently but I'm getting back to it.

One item I listed tonight will hopefully turn into something for the Post Your Wins thread. While searching ebay for another item, I discovered that this item is far more valuable than I realized. It's an old Disney lunchbox but for whatever reason it's in particularly high demand and sells for $100-130. I listed it starting at $85. We'll see what happens.
                            Steve

Comment

One item sold today. It's packed and ready to ship on Tuesday.

I listed one new item.

I also listed 6 items that I purchased at an estate sale this morning, but that doesn't count as decluttering since I just bought them purposely to resell.
                              Steve

Comment

Hopefully this results in some clutter leaving the house. I lowered prices on a few Marketplace items. I also ended 5 listings for individual sewing books and started a new one to sell all 5 together for a much lower price.

I did a little work in the section of the basement where the Disney items I have to sell are stored. I cleared off one section of shelving and will start using that space to hold items that are listed on ebay and marketplace. They've been accumulating in our computer room but that's getting out of hand now that I've got nearly 100 items listed.

ETA: Listed another item on ebay tonight.
                                Last edited by disneysteve; 02-20-2022, 04:13 PM.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X