The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
    I listed one (well actually a lot of 2) item on ebay. It's actually the first listing of a car show dash plaque. My cousin had about 250 of them and I want to start selling them. They go for up to about $4 or $5 each. I'd be happy to get even $2 or $3 each. I want to list a bunch and offer to combine shipping if someone buys multiple. I only listed the one just now to kind of test the waters and see how it does.

ETA: I realized it didn't really make sense to only list one especially if combining shipping on multiples encourages buyers, so I just listed 3 more. I stated in my descriptions that I'll be adding more daily, so now I just need to do that.
    I got no bids first time around but on the first relist, I now have bids on 2 of them. I've added a few more and now that I see a little progress, I'll get to work listing more of them. Like I said, I have 250 to sell.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I listed 5 new items on ebay and now have bids on 4 items.

ETA: 2 of those items ended tonight
      Last edited by disneysteve; 01-23-2022, 05:08 PM.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I found a home for an old washer and dryer
        Friends of our will be taking them for their cabin.
        I gave them away, but it was nice to gain the space in the garage that they were taking up
        Brian

Comment

35 items consigned and a bag of stuff donated.
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Packed 3 items that have bids on ebay.
            Listed a new item. Will likely list a few more before the day is done.
            DW just came up and said she has a bunch of fabric that she no longer needs so I'll photograph that and get it on our Buy Nothing group. That stuff gets snapped up quickly.

ETA:
            Listed another item on ebay.
            An auction just ended with a sale that was not one of the 3 that already had bids so that was a nice surprise. I'll get that packed up.
            Someone claimed the fabric we listed and should pick it up tomorrow.
            Steve

Comment

Added 2 more items to ebay and that fabric got picked up. That's 2 bags full of fabric cleared out.

ETA: Listed 2 more items this evening and one item sold.
              Last edited by disneysteve; 01-26-2022, 04:20 PM.
              Steve

Comment

I’ve really been on an organization and de-cluttering kick lately. It’s no longer good enough for me to just not have clutter out but I want all of our drawers and closets organized and clutter free which is easier to do when there’s less stuff!

I came across this quote and it felt relevant to this forum:

“All this clutter used to be money, and all that money used to be time.”

It’s great to de-clutter but keeping this in mind might help with reducing future clutter and saving money. Our culture pushes so much stuff, we’d be better off (and have more money in our pockets) to be more intentional with our purchases and avoid clutter to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by jenn_jenn View Post
                  “All this clutter used to be money, and all that money used to be time.”
                  I love that quote.

Steve

Comment

I did a bit of decluttering in our bar area. Got rid of a bunch of paper, receipts, etc. Last year we won a mini barrel at a liquor store event. Used it once but it's not something you can really keep using so it's just been sitting there collecting dust. And once it dried out, several of the rings fell off. We agreed to trash it today.

I also did a little ebay maintenance, tweaking prices and shipping fees on several items to try and attract some buyers for listings that have been up for a while.
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                      I also did a little ebay maintenance, tweaking prices and shipping fees on several items to try and attract some buyers for listings that have been up for a while.
                      Within a couple of hours of me doing that, I made a sale. Also got a bid on another item.
                      Steve

Comment

People must be snowed in and shopping on ebay today. I just checked and I now have bids on 4 items and got paid for an item that sold a few days ago that I thought might end up being a non-payer.
                        Steve

Comment

Sold a couple more items on ebay. Just listed 3 more.
                          Steve

Comment

Two more ebay sales including another lot of 12 magazines. That brings me to 587 magazines sold since July.

ETA:

Just made 5 more sales for another 20 magazines. So total of 607 sold.

I also hit a goal I had. My 90-day sales total topped $1,000. It now stands at $1,053.76.
                            Last edited by disneysteve; 02-01-2022, 04:14 PM.
                            Steve

Comment

One more tote bin full of items dropped off at Goodwill after my Sunday visit to Mom's.

Comment

One more ebay sale today.

I need to list some new items. I haven't gotten anything on for 2 or 3 days but I've been working on taxes and some other stuff.

I did go through the file box of papers from my cousin today and tossed a number of items I'm sure I no longer need. I'm sure there's more in there I don't need but until his final tax return and the estate return are filed, I don't want to toss anything I might possibly need.

ETA: Okay, I added 3 new items on ebay.
                                Last edited by disneysteve; 02-02-2022, 04:33 PM.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X