Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water conservation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by ua_guy View Post

    I was wondering the same thing about electrons. State of Texas can't seem to find enough of them to keep the lights on these days. Should probably conserve power, too.
    What? I thought electricity came from the wall outlet.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
      When we replaced our toilets, we went with the high capacity ones where you can literally flush a bucket of golf balls.
      This is a fairly apt description of my golf game.

      Comment


        #18
        I don't water our lawn. I figure why bother? I hate it.
        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

        Comment


          #19
          It rains periodically where I live.
          That seems to keep everything green.
          Brian

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
            It rains periodically where I live.
            That seems to keep everything green.
            well yes, but just think about all of that wasted water. Gone forever.

            Comment


              #21
              I'm not a fan of the low water use toilets either, they leave skid marks.
              Fortunate here to live in a water rich area. Our heat pump extracts water from the well, gets the heat or cool out of it to condition the house, then simply drains is back into the ground water table. Cheap heat / cool, but you sure couldn't do this in much of the country.

              There really is a water problem in the arid west, too many people using too little water. Lake Mead is no longer generating electricity due to low water and the Colorado river dries up before it ever gets to it's original outlet. The worst use, is probably all of the irrigated agriculture in southern California, etc. Need to grow that stuff in an area that gets adequate rainfall, rather than trying to manipulate the environment. Hopefully the west will get some unusual summer showers.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
                I'm not a fan of the low water use toilets either, they leave skid marks.
                Fortunate here to live in a water rich area. Our heat pump extracts water from the well, gets the heat or cool out of it to condition the house, then simply drains is back into the ground water table. Cheap heat / cool, but you sure couldn't do this in much of the country.

                There really is a water problem in the arid west, too many people using too little water. Lake Mead is no longer generating electricity due to low water and the Colorado river dries up before it ever gets to it's original outlet. The worst use, is probably all of the irrigated agriculture in southern California, etc. Need to grow that stuff in an area that gets adequate rainfall, rather than trying to manipulate the environment. Hopefully the west will get some unusual summer showers.
                skid marks?

                Comment


                  #23
                  Never mind water for a moment, I can't even buy dirt these days. I've been to Lowe's every couple of days for two weeks and they are out of dirt. The representative said there's a shortage everywhere due to COVID. My best guess is that they needed all of that extra dirt to bury people. Anywho, I think the wasting of perfectly good dirt should be illegal. There is a finite amount of dirt and we are going through it like flies on a rib roast.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                    Never mind water for a moment, I can't even buy dirt these days. I've been to Lowe's every couple of days for two weeks and they are out of dirt. The representative said there's a shortage everywhere due to COVID. My best guess is that they needed all of that extra dirt to bury people. Anywho, I think the wasting of perfectly good dirt should be illegal. There is a finite amount of dirt and we are going through it like flies on a rib roast.
                    Huh. Not around here. Can go to a materials yard or landscaping outfit and buy just about any kind of dirt you want. If Lowe's doesn't have bags of dirt, go somewhere else?

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by ua_guy View Post

                      Huh. Not around here. Can go to a materials yard or landscaping outfit and buy just about any kind of dirt you want. If Lowe's doesn't have bags of dirt, go somewhere else?
                      I've got at least 5 hatchets to bury, so I would need several bags.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        So I am in communication with a guy who sells those wire cage IBC totes.
                        Each one holds 300 gallons.
                        The plan is to buy 2 of them.
                        I'm going to tie my gutters on the back of my house into them and put a pump in them.
                        I'll be using the water for my garden.

                        So, there is my personal water conservation project.

                        https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-3eb9c2aaacc4
                        Brian

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
                          So I am in communication with a guy who sells those wire cage IBC totes.
                          Each one holds 300 gallons.
                          The plan is to buy 2 of them.
                          I'm going to tie my gutters on the back of my house into them and put a pump in them.
                          I'll be using the water for my garden.

                          So, there is my personal water conservation project.

                          https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-3eb9c2aaacc4
                          Do you guys experience droughts very often? We're on the other side of the state and never had to worry about such a thing. We do have a well though, so water is being syphoned from underground springs and such.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by rennigade View Post

                            Do you guys experience droughts very often? We're on the other side of the state and never had to worry about such a thing. We do have a well though, so water is being syphoned from underground springs and such.
                            Not as a rule.
                            It's been decades since there has been a significant drought here.

                            I have city water (strangely enough since I'm in the country), so watering the garden can get expensive.
                            It rains enough to keep the IBC totes reasonably filled during growing season.
                            Brian

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Posting Rennigade's water storage photos, because the wire cage IBC totes are big and look cool.



                              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                              202.468.6043

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
                                So I am in communication with a guy who sells those wire cage IBC totes.
                                Each one holds 300 gallons.
                                The plan is to buy 2 of them.
                                I'm going to tie my gutters on the back of my house into them and put a pump in them.
                                I'll be using the water for my garden.

                                So, there is my personal water conservation project.

                                https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-3eb9c2aaacc4
                                True story: there was a guy here who was issued a citation because he was pumping water from the gutter into storage tanks for watering. City said the water is their property once it's in the gutter.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X