I hate coins, anyone still carry it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate coins, anyone still carry it?

I hate coins. The only time I carry coins is when I know I'll be going to a dollar-like store nearby which requires cash for purchases under the $5 minimum credit card purchases. Anyone here still carry coins? Why?

Never liked them.

However with the coin shortage I find myself wondering (somewhat panicking) if we have any coins in the house at all.

most likely my wife has some and / or my son’s piggy bank.

Recent worry: I use pennies to check my tire tread depth and not sure I have any

Comment

I used to carry around some amount less than $1.00 in coins. I don't think my spouse ever carried much coinage, but he acquired a lot of change. He had a deal where he would come home and empty his pockets of any change. We would have all kinds of random change all over the house. I would then roll the coins and take them to the bank. We used DH's change to buy our first 10 shares of Disney stock (quite a few years ago). We also used his change as a summer camp activity. (When DS was growing up--we invited his cousins to stay with us in the summer time). One year the kids rolled up all the change and purchased savings bonds for each person.

Now, both DH and I use plastic for everything in order to get the credit card rewards.

Comment

I don't carry coins. I keep quarters in my car for meters or the rare trip to Aldi for the shopping cart.

On the rare occasion that I pay cash for something, when I get home the change goes in a little bank on my dresser. When that's full, I take it to the Coinstar machine and cash it in for an Amazon gift card.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I used to have a big pile of foreign coins from our travels. I didn't want them though because it was too much clutter. So we started going on walks over to a nearby fountain at a big shopping center and tossing them in, in exchange for a wish. It turned out to be a really fun thing to do, and now we always look for coins people have dropped so we can go flip them into the fountain. I definitely don't worry about having them for anything except fountain wishes!

Comment

Fed Chairman Powell on coin shortage.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-u-s-economy

Comment

Good point disneysteve, I too keep quarters in my glove box for parking meters.

Comment

I have a jar of quarters I should probably deposit at the bank for decluttering. Otherwise any small amount of coins collected are put in ashtray/pocket of car (also doesn't hurt to have quarters for Aldis). I also keep a few euros worth of small coins for international travel which have been invaluable for bathrooms at airport, etc. But I recognize traveling won't be happening anytime soon.
                "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Eww, coins.

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
                  Never liked them.

However with the coin shortage I find myself wondering (somewhat panicking) if we have any coins in the house at all.

most likely my wife has some and / or my son’s piggy bank.

Recent worry: I use pennies to check my tire tread depth and not sure I have any
                  Change isn't needed. When tread is flush with the wear bars between the tread, it's time to replace (usually 2/32). You can also use other change. Using the head on a quarter will tell you when there's approx 4/32 left, aka time to start shopping for tires.

Or, about $4 will buy you a tread depth gauge that you can keep forever.

We were considering cashing in all the change around our house because of the shortage. We just don't need the money in coin format, never use it that way.

Comment

Two years ago, I took a handful of change out of my truck and left $2.50 worth of quarters in the arm rest. At the time I said I was going to go by the bank and get a roll of quarters ($25?) to keep in the arm rest, for what ever. Two years later, I still have $2.50 worth of quarters in my arm rest. I don't remember the last time I counted out change for anything past a random coke machine.

Comment

Like many people I try to charge everything for reward points and not use cash. For years I've always had a large coin jar on my dresser which I put my silver coins into, every 5 years or so I cash them out for a few hundred bucks. I started putting my pennies into a separate container like 35 years ago, a couple of years ago I finally brought them down to the local Coin Star machine and received a $400. Amazon gift card for them, something like 40,000 pennies if I remember right. Took awhile to feed them all into the machine!

Comment

I hate carrying coins, and carry only two: a pair of military challenge coins. I pay for almost everything with credit cards or round up to whole dollars. The random times that I end up with coins in my pocket, they go immediately into my son's piggy bank when I get home.
                        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

lol, I'm the contrarian here. I love coins, although to be honest, I don't keep them really.

Some exceptions, Any rare metal coins or foreign currency. I usually keep some coins from the countries Ive been to (I used to travel a pretty high amount for pleasure).

For regular coins, I really only keep SOME quarters. My gang and I often play quarter based card games (dealer chooses the game). So our pots don't get too high (low pot would be like $5 bucks, and a VERY high one would be like $60 ish).

I miss coins having higher value (raw material + face value). I wish gold and silver was more acceptable in circulation these days. It likely would have deterred the FED from screwing with our interest rate so much (Peter Schiff has me starting to worry about the Petro-Dollar's value, globally, in the near future). <--- But he can be hyperbolic, so I take all of Anyone's info w/ a big fat grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                          X