People with disabilities are obviously just as interested in travel as anyone else might be. However, there are many barriers that can make such travel difficult. In any effort to life those barriers, there are an increasing number of resources for accessibility in the travel industry. Moreover, you’ll find that there are some great travel discounts for disabled people. This can further help to make travel more accessible for people with various disabilities.
ClubGO: Travel Membership for People with Disabilities
First of all, check out ClubGO. This is a unique travel membership service. It specifically exists to help reduce costs for people with disabilities. This is a FREE platform for people who meet the eligibility requirements. Once you’re a member, you can use this platform to search for tons of different travel discounts for disabled people. Specifically, you can use the platform to get up to 60% off of hotels and resorts. They provide accessibility information right there on the site so that you can see if the accommodations meet your specific needs. This is one of the best tools for people with disabilities to get discounted travel opportunities.
Amtrak Offers Travel Discounts for People with Disabilities
If you’re interested in traveling by train, then you’re in luck. Amtrak is well-known for offering travel discounts for disabled people. Moreover, their companions also get discounted tickets. People with a disability automatically get 10% off of any tickets. Additionally, there are higher discounts on some train routes. For example, people with disabilities get 15% off fares in California. And there are even a few East cost routes that offer up to 50% off. Note that you’ll have to show written documentation of your disability (anything from a doctor’s note to disabled parking placard).
Other Travel Discounts for Disabled People with Disabilities
ClubGO and Amtrak are the two best places to start when looking for travel discounts for people with disabilities. However, they are far from the only options. Wheelchair Travel suggests the following:
- Discounts on other train lines around the world besides Amtrak. Specifically, look into European train discounts.
- Visit America’s National Parks for free. You just need to order a pass for people with disabilities. The pass also offers discounts on various tours and other related activities.
- Hop On/ Hop Off bus tours often have wheelchair accessibility. Moreover, many of them offer discounts for people using wheelchairs. Wheelchair Travel says that you need to call and ask in advance because most don’t advertise whether or not they offer the discount.
- Many museums offer discounts to people using wheelchairs. Specifically, the site mentions Paris and London museums. However, you should always ask at any museum. Moreover, if there are parts of a museum or tour that are not accessible to you because of your disability, you should request a discount on admission.
Travel Grants for People with Disabilities
You might also want to do some research into travel grants that provide financial assistance for people with disabilities. This is particularly important if you’re traveling for medical reasons related to your disability care. For example, High Fives Non-Profit Foundation offers travel funding to people who have suffered life-altering injuries. Disability Grants is a terrific site for finding all sorts off travel-related grants for people with disabilities in the UK. Do your research. Help may be out there to assist you with travel and adventure!
- Why ABLE Accounts Are Better Than Special Needs Trusts
- Raising an Autistic Child Can Exceed $2 Million: What You Can Learn from This
- Purple Heart Day: Benefits and Entitlements Provided to Purple Heart Recipients