Valentine’s Day has the sale of red roses through the roof. While many florists can get away with charging up to $3.50 a stem, you can get roses for around $1 each. That is if you are willing to order more than 12. Bulk or otherwise, Costco roses seem to be the most fairly priced.
Average Price of Roses
Despite studies showing most women don’t want flowers for Valentine’s Day, roses continue to be a popular gift for the holiday.
This year, you can grab a dozen roses at Costco for $15.99. Although there’s no vase included, you can’t really beat that elsewhere. In fact, the average price of a dozen roses has climbed in recent years.
Bouquet prices can reach up to $6 per stem, making a dozen cost more than $60, with higher-end bouquets landing around $100. The average price paid for a dozen falls around $30. Typically, price varies on quality, supply, and stem length. Oftentimes, cheaper bouquets will not be as high quality.
Costco Roses Bulk Price
Buying in bulk, of course, will always save you money but you’ll be stuck with more roses than you need, most likely. The bulk lot requirement to save money at Costco: 50 roses for $49.99. If you talk any of your friends into going in on a deal with you and splitting up the flowers, then the deal is fairly cheap and can save you money. However, most people don’t need 50 roses.
Costco is able to offer such low prices on roses because the company negotiated a bulk deal with a flower warehouse located in Colombia. Unlike many other cheaper options, the quality of the roses is fantastic.
Interestingly, Costco’s deal doesn’t require membership for purchase, and it includes shipping and handling. However, the deal is only available online or via telephone. You will not be able to place Costco roses orders in the store.
Unfortunately, it is probably too late to order a last-minute bouquet for your sweetheart. Costco typically requires all Valentine’s Day orders to be in by noon EST on February 10. Oftentimes, the wholesale retailer sells out early. The same is the case with many other retailers and flower companies. You’ll likely be able to rely on Walmart and some of the mainstream flower companies for last-minute assistance. Here are the prices for last-minute Valentine’s Day roses.
- Walmart: Bouquets of roses start at $9.99 and go up from there. Most locations will also have some roses available in premade vases if you get there early enough in the day.
- Amazon: Prime members may have the best option when it comes to buying last-minute roses for Valentine’s Day. You can get free two-day shipping on roses through Amazon. Get two dozen roses through Amazon for just $45.
- ProFlowers: ProFlowers has one dozen roses from $19.99. You can get additional sweets and gifts for your significant other through them as well. They will be taking orders up until February 13 for Valentine’s Day.
- 1-800-Flowers: This company is offering a similar guarantee. As long as you order by noon EST the day before Valentine’s, you should have your order the next day. Prices for one dozen roses through 1-800-Flowers start at $24.99.
Additionally, the closer you get to the holiday, the more likely businesses are to raise their prices. If the price of roses is a bit too high for your Valentine’s budget, you may also consider looking into different types of flowers for your significant other. Inquire what some of their favorites might be and consider sending those instead. Carnations are always a popular second choice.
Readers, are you planning to send (or receive) any flowers this Valentine’s Day?
- Valentine’s Day Spending is on the Rise, Despite Younger Couples Losing Interest
- Chat With Men for Money: Make Extra Cash as a Valentine
- Ideas to Surprise Your Special Ones With Valentine’s Day
- Valentine’s Day: Study Says Women Don’t Want Flowers
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.