In recent years, Black Friday and Thanksgiving have meshed into one day for retailers. Instead of having the day off, many retail employees have to report to work on Thanksgiving Day for early Black Friday sales. Walmart, most famously, has staggered deals on Thanksgiving on the hour starting at 6 p.m. Other retailers have held on to tradition and remain closed. So, here is what time stores open Thanksgiving Day.
Is There a Set Time Stores Open Thanksgiving?
No. There is no set time that stores open on Thanksgiving Day or “Gray Thursday.” For the most part, retailers wait until the evening hours before opening for sales. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. Certain stores will open as early as 6 a.m.
- Meijer: Meijer will be open on Thanksgiving if you’re in need of some last-minute items for your feast. Check with your local store for closing hours.
- Big Lots: Big Lots is one of few retailers remaining open all day Thursday and Friday. They will open at 7 a.m. on Thanksgiving and will stay open until the normal closing time Friday.
- Dollar General: Dollar General will hold regular hours (7 a.m. to 10 p.m.) on Thanksgiving.
- Rite Aid: Most Rite Aid locations will open at 7 a.m. Thursday. Check with your local store for hours.
- AAFES Exchange: The store that aims to help you save will open at 8 a.m. Thanksgiving Day.
- Bass Pro Shops: Bass Pro Shops will close be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Cabela’s: This retailer will be open from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- CVS: CVS Pharmacy will be open at 8 a.m. Check your local store for their closing time.
- Family Dollar: Family Dollar will hold its regular Thursday hours (8 a.m. to 9 p.m.).
- Gander Mountain: To compete with Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain will be open at 8 a.m. as well.
- Walgreens: Walgreens will open at 8 a.m. Closing hours may vary by location.
- Fred’s: Fred’s will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Goody’s: Goody’s will be opening at 1 p.m. on Thanksgiving. Closing hours may vary by location.
- Stage Stores: Stage Stores will be opening at 1 p.m.
- JCPenny: JCPenny will be opening at an odd time this year. Most locations will open their doors at 2 p.m. and remain open until midnight.
- Shopko: Shopko locations will be opening at 2 p.m.
- Dunham’s Sports: If you have a Dunham’s near you they’ll be open at 3 p.m. on Thursday.
- Belk: Belk opens its doors at 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving and will remain open until 1 a.m.
- Gamestop: Most Gamestop locations will open at 4 p.m. The closing time will depend on the store. Some locations may be open through Friday night.
- Old Navy: Old Navy is another retailer that will be open on Thanksgiving. They’ll open their doors at 4 p.m.
- Best Buy: Best Buy will open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Gordmans: Gordmans doors will open at 5 p.m. Closing hours may vary by location.
- Kohl’s: Like last year, Kohl’s will open at 5 p.m. on Thursday.
- Macy’s: Macy’s will be open from 5 p.m. until 2 a.m.
- MC Sports: Areas, where MC Sports are located, will find them to be open after 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Bealls Florida: Bealls will open at 6 p.m. and close at 11 p.m.
- Boscovs: This retailer is open from 6 p.m. until 1 a.m.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Dick’s will be open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving with most locations closing at 2 a.m.
- Five Below: Score amazing deals at Five Below from 6 p.m. until 1 a.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Michaels: One of the most popular craft stores will be open from 6 p.m. until midnight and, of course, Michaels has some great deals planned.
- Modell’s: Much like Dick’s, Modell’s will be opening at 6 p.m. Closing times will vary from location-to-location.
- Sears: All Sears locations will be opening at 6 p.m. on Thursday.
- Target: Target will also be opening at 6 p.m. and most locations will be open until midnight.
- Ulta: If you’re looking for great deals on makeup, Ulta will be open from 6 p.m. until 2 a.m.
- Walmart: Walmart will be open at 6 p.m. However, some locations may open their doors a bit earlier for shoppers to get on line.
Stores Remaining Closed on Thanksgiving Day
Not all retailers will have hours on Thanksgiving Day. Some have decided to allow their employees to enjoy the holiday with a day off. The retailers listed below will remain closed on the holiday.
- A.C. Moore
- Academy Sports
- Ace Hardware
- Acme Tools
- American Girl
- Barnes & Noble
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Christopher & Banks
- Crate & Barrel
- Cost Plus World Market
- Designer Shoe Warehouse
- Fred Meyer
- Guitar Center
- H&M Stores
- Harbor Freight
- Hobby Lobby
- Home Depot
- Home Goods
- Joann Fabrics
- Jos. A Bank
- Neiman Marcus
- Nordstrom (and Nordstrom Rack)
- Office Depot and Office Max
- Pier 1 Imports
- Pet Supplies Plus
- Sam’s Club
- Sears Outlet Stores
- Stein Mart
- TJ Maxx
- Tractor Supply
Save More Money on Thanksgiving
If you’re thinking about hitting the stores on Thanksgiving, you are not alone! You should remember one important money-saving rule before heading out: Make a list and stick to it.
Have your Christmas shopping list handy and map out which deals you’re going to shop ahead of time. Budget how much you’re going to spend and stick to that plan. Anything you purchase that wasn’t initially on the list (impulse buys) is wasted money.
- Here Are 10 Restaurants Open on Thanksgiving This Year
- Save Money With These Frugal Thanksgiving Menu Ideas
- Plan Your Feast With This Thanksgiving Dinner Printable
- Free Turkey: 12 Ways To Get One For Thanksgiving
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.