There Are More Pet Friendly Stores Than You’d Think
Bringing your pet along can break up some of the monotony of doing your regular shopping. It can also be a great way to socialize your pet and introduce them to new places. Keep in mind, it is always a good practice to call ahead and confirm whether each store is pet friendly. However, each of the retailers below claims to be pet friendly.
- Bass Pro Shops
- Bath & Body Works
- Foot Locker
- Free People
- Home Goods
- Home Depot
- JoAnn Fabrics
- Lush Cosmetics
- Neiman Marcus
- Old Navy
- Pottery Barn
- Restoration Hardware
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- TJ Maxx
- Tractor Supply Co.
- Urban Outfitters
It is also important to note that each of these retailers require your pet to be up-to-date on their vaccinations. Many also require you have the animal on a close leash and hold you responsible for your pet’s behavior.
If you have a larger breed dog or a dog that may be considered aggressive, the store owner can also deny your pet access. Stores located within malls may also have different pet policies. Once again, it is a good idea to call ahead to confirm your pet’s ability to visit the store.
Pet Friendly Places to Eat
Not surprisingly, most restaurants have strict rules against pets. However, some chain restaurants are pet friendly. Here are the ones we’ve found.
- Johnny Rockets
- Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar
- Olive Garden
- Shake Shack
Some restaurant locations may not allow your pet in the establishment but will seat you in the outdoor patio area. Locally-owned restaurants may be pet friendly as well. In fact, many metropolitan areas have had an increase in dog bars and the like in recent years. Of course, we recommend calling ahead to verify the establishment is, in fact, pet friendly.
Places That Are Not Pet Friendly
Even though many more establishments have labeled themselves as pet friendly, not all are. In some cases, your pet may be allowed in the outdoor patio areas but won’t be permitted in the stores and restaurants listed below.
- JC Penny
- Outback Steakhouse
- Party City
- Rite Aid
- Sams Club
Bear in mind that major restaurant chains must adhere to the Americans With Disabilities Act. If your pet is a registered service animal they will be welcome in most locations, despite their normal pet policy.
Lastly, here are some general etiquette tips if you are planning to bring your pet out with you.
- Bring your own pet bowl. You can also ask a waiter for a plastic bowl or cup of water, however, pets are not usually permitted to drink out of restaurant bowls or cups unless they are disposable.
- Don’t tie your dog to a table. Instead, tie them to a chair. Dogs tied to tables oftentimes end up with spilled drinks and food.
- Always call ahead and verify the restaurant or store allows dogs.
- If you’re going to bring your dog out, be sure they are well-behaved and good with kids.
- Unless welcomed, keep your pet from bothering other patrons or employees.
- Also, try to keep your pet out of the walkways and paths servers and other employees may be using.
If you know of pet friendly stores that aren’t currently on this list, please leave a comment so we can add it. We’d also love to hear about your experiences with specific stores and your pets.
Photo: Flickr: David Locke
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.