Save Money Decluttering Your Home This Fall
Yes – that’s right. In addition to making it easier to relax and unwind in your home, decluttering can help you save money. While you are decluttering and cleaning, you may realize that there are items in your home in need of attention. For instance, if you clean your windows, you may notice damages that may impact the ability to heat your home through the winter.
Another way fall cleaning may help save money is in maintaining some of your more expensive appliances. One great thing to do in the fall is dust and clean your refrigerator’s condenser coil. Doing this can prevent you from having to call a handyman down the road as well as keep your food at the correct temperature, preventing spoiled food items. Inside the fridge, you can also get rid of expired items and clean shelves to prevent illness (another opportunity to save).
Dusting the entire house while you’re doing your fall cleaning is recommended as well. Dust can build up and cause health issues and allergies. Getting rid of that will help prevent illness throughout the winter.
While you are in the kitchen, take an inventory of what you have in your pantry and make a list. This will give you an idea of what you already have and prevent you from spending unnecessary cash at the grocery store.
Lastly, don’t forget to flip your mattress! Doing so will extend the life of your mattress and, ultimately, save you money.
Make Money Fall Cleaning
If you’re aiming to rack up savings through fall cleaning, you may also be interested in knowing that you can make money as well. While you are going through closets and getting rid of things, set items aside that you may be able to sell. Thankfully, with modern technology, you won’t even have to set up a yard sale if you don’t want to. You can post your items for sale online.
- Facebook Marketplace: The Facebook Marketplace is a great way for people in your area to check out the items you have for sale. It is essentially an online yard sale. Many of these “yard sale” pages have search functions for people looking for something specific so be sure you use good keywords in your description. People in the Saving Advice forums have chatted about their experience with the Marketplace, see what they are saying.
- Craigslist: Craigslist is another great place to post your unwanted items. Read about how to make money on Craigslist here.
- eBay: One of the more popular places to post items for sale is eBay. Many sales are auction-style and it can be exciting to watch the price of your items go up. Here’s how to make money on eBay.
Even if you don’t feel like posting your items for sale or having a garage sale, you can still benefit financially by donating your items. Be sure to get a receipt when you make your donation so that you’re able to deduct it from your taxes next year.
Now that you know how decluttering and cleaning can help your mental, physical, and financial health, here is the ultimate fall cleaning checklist to get yourself and your home ready for winter.
Fall Cleaning Checklist
- Ways to Make Money From Spring Cleaning
- 10 Cleaning Gadgets That Save Money & Time
- Save Money Spring Cleaning
- Can You Afford To Hire Spring Cleaners?
- National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day & 10 Ways To Save Money With Your Refrigerator