The Paleo Diet is one that many people (and experts) swear by but what if you are trying to watch your weight and your wallet in the new year? Here are some of the best cheap Paleo diet tips and recipes:
How to Eat Paleo on a Budget
First, you may be thinking to yourself, “I’d like to drop some weight this year but I also need to watch my spending.” Often times healthy food is associated with higher cost and, most of the time, that is true. However, there are a number of ways to eat healthy on a budget.
How can you eat Paleo on a budget though? Here are a few of the easiest ways to eat Paleo on the cheap:
- Eat Less: This isn’t saying that you should not eat as much but many people on the Paleo diet find that they eat less because they are eating more whole foods (no processed items). You can save a ton of money simply by eating less.
- Buy in Bulk: When you can, buy in bulk. When you can try and buy bulk amounts of meat or frozen veggies to save money.
- Know Substitutes: The Paleo diet focuses on meat and whole foods. When you can, substitute items for cheaper foods. For example, you can substitute lean hamburger for steak.
- Stop Eating Out: Dieting and eating out don’t really go hand-in-hand anyway but some restaurants have healthier options. The only downside here, however, is that you won’t be saving any money by going out to eat.
- Eat More Veggies: Vegetables are not super expensive and they are Paleo diet-friendly. They are great for your diet and your wallet.
- Maybe Commit a Little Less: Lastly, you don’t need to commit to the diet 100%. You can commit 80% (or even 50%) to the diet. This can save you some cash and ease you into the lifestyle change that is the Paleo diet.
Cheap Paleo Diet Recipes
Now that you know how to eat and shop Paleo on a budget you will probably be scouting a few cheap Paleo diet recipes. Here are three of the best (and cheapest) Paleo diet recipes:
Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are a great cheap Paleo diet meal. All you need for the delicious meal is chicken breast, seasonings, veggies and the lettuce for the wrap. All of these items together will cost you less than $5 per meal. To view the full recipe, click here.
Grain-Free Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is a go-to comfort food for many people. It is cheap to make and delicious but it is not very diet-friendly. This cheap Paleo diet recipe is easy to make and Paleo approved! You make it in a similar way you would make a regular Shepherd’s pie except this version uses healthier items and a grain-free crust recipe.
Paleo Fish Tacos
Lastly, whether it is taco Tuesday or you’re simply in the mood for tacos, you can cook up some Paleo fish tacos at home. This cheap Paleo diet recipe uses cod (or sole), seasonings, lettuce and other taco makings, cheese and grain-free tortillas. It is cheap and extremely healthy!
If you’re resolving to be healthy and save some cash in the new year, have no fear! There are many ways to stick to your budget and your diet. Happy New Year!
Do you have any cheap Paleo diet recipes to share?