The 12-week savings plan isn’t as popular as some of the year-long savings plan because it is a bit more intense and requires you to save larger sums of money each week. If you are able to pull off this savings plan though, it is a great way to get $1,000 in your savings account in a short period of time.
12-Week Money Challenge
Saving $1,000 is no small feat and doing so in 12 weeks is even more of a triumph. No matter what your reason is for saving (vacation, growing your savings, etc) this savings challenge is perfect for a short-term savings goal. It will take a little buckling down on your end but it will be well worth it in the end.
The challenge requires you to save $60 or more each week. The first week starts with you saving $60 and then $75 the second week, $95 the third week and $100 the fourth week. Week five you save $65, then $75, $95 and $100. You then save in that pattern for four more weeks and you’ve completed the challenge.
Photo: How Does She
How to Successfully Do The 12-Week Money Challenge
When you look at this savings challenge you may be thinking “how can I save $100 in one week or even $65?” It is possible! If you have a budget (which you should), go over it and decide where you can cut over the next 12 weeks. This is an aggressive savings plan so you will need to be aggressive in trying to make it work.
Here are a few things you may be able to cut and/or try to successfully save $1,000 in 12 weeks:
- Limit eating out. You will be surprised how much money you will save by simply not going through the Drive Thru or going out to eat on Friday night.
- Sell things you don’t use. Go through your closets and have a weekly garage sale during the 12 weeks. Whatever money you make at the garage sale put directly towards your savings plan.
- Skip unnecessary expenses like pampering. If you go and get your nails done every week, skip that expense during the 12 week money challenge. You’ll be surprised at how much this will help you save.
- Stay home. Instead of going out for your entertainment, stay in. You can have a game night, watch a movie or curl up with a book.
- Find a free or cheap hobby. If you like to go shopping, find something else to fill your time like visiting local parks, going on walks or even a book club. This will help you successfully pull off this 12-week plan.
If you are looking to save $1,000 quickly or simply ready to buckle down and really start getting your savings on track, this 12-week plan is a great way to make that happen. While it is more aggressive than the 365 Day Money Challenge or the 52 Week Money Challenge, it is effective in helping people save and really take a good look at their finances over a 12-week span.
Zero Effort Money Saving Hacks
Saving money can be difficult but there’s an app for that! Digit.co is an app that makes saving effortless. It analyzes your savings account balances and then performs an automatic withdrawal into your savings. The Digit app is easy to install and, once you’ve activated it, Digit makes saving easy. Check it out at digit.co.
Photo: Flickr: 401(K) 2012
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.