Baking soda is one of those items that has more than one use. Most people use the product for what the name implies (baking), however, there are hundreds of uses for baking soda outside of making a batch of cupcakes. Here are 15 of the hundreds of uses for something we all have in our cabinet or refrigerator:
- Make toothpaste: You can make your own toothpaste with baking soda. You can also dip your toothbrush with toothpaste already on it to give your toothpaste a boost. It helps cut down on odor and also helps with whitening.
- Freshen your mouth: Not only can you make toothpaste, but you can also freshen up your mouth. Put a teaspoon of baking soda in a half glass of water. Swish the baking soda water, spit and rinse your mouth. It cuts bad breath down.
- Facial scrub: You can make a paste of three parts baking soda to one part water. Rub the paste in a circular motion on to your face or any other part of your body you would like to exfoliate. Then, simply rinse clean.
- Use it as deodorant: Because baking soda neutralizes odor, you can pat it under your arms to get rid of body odor.
- Antacid: Baking soda is also well known for its ability to rid people of heartburn. See your baking soda package for instructions on how to use the product as an antacid.
- Treat insect bites: Make a paste out of water and baking soda. Apply it to the affected area.If you want to get rid of the itch, apply dry baking soda to damp skin after a shower.
- Put it in your hair: Sprinkle baking soda in your hand with your shampoo. The baking soda will help take styling products out of your hair and make it more manageable.
- Put it in your bath: Add a 1/2 cup of baking soda to your bath water. It will help wash away oils and sweat from your body and it will leave your skin feel soft.
- Clean your microwave: Put baking soda on a damp sponge to remove odor and clean your microwave. Rinse it well with water after you are done.
- Polish your silverware: If you have a nice set of silverware that you need to polish, use baking soda. It takes away the tarnished look and makes the set look brand new.
- Boost your detergent: Add baking soda to your liquid laundry detergent. By adding a 1/2 cup of baking soda, your detergent will work harder to break down the oils and dirt on your clothes.
- Deodorize your refrigerator: A lot of people do this. Leave a box of baking soda open at the back of your fridge. It neutralizes odors and keeps your refrigerator smelling fresh.
- Freshen sneakers: If you have a smelly pair of shoes, put baking soda in them. Just like with you refrigerator, the baking soda will neutralize the odor and freshen your shoes.
- Extinguish fires: If you have a fire in your kitchen, you can extinguish it with baking soda. This is because baking soda gives off carbon monoxide when it is heated, which extinguishes the flames.
- Fruit and veggie scrub: If you need to clean up your fruit and vegetables before you eat them, sprinkle a little baking soda on a damp sponge. The baking soda will remove any dirt or anything you don’t want in your body.
Baking soda has its uses in and out of the kitchen. These are only 15 of the many uses. Make the most of your baking soda!
Photo: Flickr: HomeSpot HQ