If you missed the chance to win the latest Powerball winnings, there is another opportunity to cash in big this season.
From now through May 3, Albertsons-owned stores, the second largest supermarket chain in North America, is holding its eighth Shop, Play, Win Monopoly promotion. As the company grows, so does the contest. Actually, in 2009, $8,000,000 in prizes was available with $500,000 being the top winnings. The value in prizes this year is twice as much as last year, coming out to more than $165,000,000.
If you’re familiar with McDonald’s Monopoly sweepstakes, then this will easily ring a bell.
There are two ways to enter Albertsons’ Monopoly:
- Making a purchase in one of the participating stores
- You cannot receive a ticket for online purchases.
- Manual submission via mailing in a self-addressed, stamped envelope to MONOPOLY MON-09 Collect and Win Game Ticket Request
- You can see more about the rules to entry here.
Things you should know to play:
- Participants will simply tear off the ticket they receive from the stores (or mail) to reveal the discount or winnings as well as gain four game markers for their Monopoly board.
- Match the properties on the board that corresponds to indicated game markers.
- There is one winner per game board.
- The last date to submit your winning board, despite the event ending May 3, is May 25.
Here is the Albertsons’ Monopoly game board:
Prizes start as low as a $5 grocery gift card and as high as $1,000,000 in cash (only 3 available with certain regulations). Additionally, there are 81 instant winner prizes available including a Blue Man Group Last Vegas show package and a $25 Fandango gift card.
However, chances to win the big rewards are slim, with only three of the big cash prize available and the chain acquiring Safeway Inc. in 2015. Yes, that’s right; if you are a Safeway shopper, you, too, can enter to win this year. So, while there are more locations to choose from for shopping to obtain games pieces (an additional 2,200 stores), that also means your prospects to win are lower due to the audience growing for the game.
You may find it easier to win some of the other prizes, though, as there are also bonus game tickets available when your purchase specially marked items.
The odds of winning the million dollar cash prize are exceedingly small, according to this 2013 article. And, not to mention, numbers have increased since then, thus decreasing odds even more. In fact, in order to win the jack-pot, you need to find two unique and hard-to-find pieces. But, if you start now, you may find yourself successful. Save yourself some money by taking advantage of the rules, if you are really hopeful this year, and mail in some requests for tickets. It sounds like consistency may be key for this one. Do you feel lucky?