Social Class growing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Class growing up?

So how did you grow up? Rich? Poor? Middle Class? I'm curious what people would say on this forum.
    Wealthy
    3.28%
    Upper middle class
    29.51%
    Middle class
    37.70%
    Lower middle class
    18.03%
    Poor
    11.48%
    Not sure
    0.00%
    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Definite middle class. My father was an accountant. My mom was a SAHM (except they called them homemakers back then). We lived in a row home in Philadelphia. I went to public school. We vacationed at the Jersey shore. I was 12 before I traveled to a place more than 4 hours drive from my home.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I voted middle class, because that's how my parents lived. In reality, we were poor. Looking back I realized that mom & dad used the house equity for cash (alot!), relied on my grandparents to help with food/bills when dad's union was on strike, bought cars from my grandparents (I'm assuming at a great discount), liens on the house for sewer payments, payment plans with every conceivable vendor. But at the same time we always had cable tv, went on vacations, had new clothes, new toys, dad's beer, mom's cigarettes, People magazines, etc.

Comment

I'd actually like to see the categories expanded to include lower middle class, middle class, and upper middle class. Or perhaps I'm spliiting hairs.

We were middle class - lower middle class when I was young (my father worked as a salesman and my mother was a SAHM w/ 3 kids). I know they struggled - but they rarely let it show.

When we got older my mother went back to work as a teacher and things eased a great deal.

They made it work and I give them all the credit in the world.

Comment

I voted MC but was probably more towards lower MC. The only real out of state vacation I can remember as a kid was going one state away to visit extended family. Always had food on the table and heat in the house though which was much better than my parents had it. I never even flew on a non-military airliner til I was almost 25.
          "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

definitely middle class for me... father in the military for a while, then (to current) the Nat'l Weather Service, mother always been an elementary school teacher. For some families, that would be pretty good income (I think they averaged over $100k/yr), but then, we had 5 kids in the family, and lived in Guam, so life was also a little more expensive...

Really, I never (ever) even thought about how well off my family was, or wasn't. We did get to travel occasionally (my mom made sure that we took advantage of being in Guam), and were never really hard up for anything. My parents always were able to provide everything we needed, and while life was by no means extravagant, it was comfortable. Did many of you find yourselves actually considering where your family fit in the social ladder? Maybe I was just ignorant (it's bliss, right?), but I really never did...
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
              Did many of you find yourselves actually considering where your family fit in the social ladder? Maybe I was just ignorant (it's bliss, right?), but I really never did...
              Funny you should say that. I never remember even thinking about social status or what income class we were in. I knew families with more than we had but didn't wish we had what they had.
              "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

Mostly poor, sometimes lower middle-class, I remember a few times not having food, but never to the point of starving. I never felt poor, I just didn't have the things others had.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                  Did many of you find yourselves actually considering where your family fit in the social ladder? Maybe I was just ignorant (it's bliss, right?), but I really never did...
                  My family was wealthy when I was growing up. I never paid much attention to it though- it wasn't until the last few years that I learned just how much money my parents had. They did a good job of making sure that my brother and I were well provided for but never let it get to our heads.

Comment

Very middle middle class, growing up. Still there.

Comment

9 kids with a farmer dad and homemaker mom = poor.

Comment

I don't really know. My dad was an engineer and my mother was a nurse. They were very frugal and knew where to put their money. My dad was 46 and my mother was 42 when i was born...so they were very well established by then.

I don't really know where the lines are drawn when it come to social class. I always felt like I was rich because I had everything I wanted and I knew my parents didn't owe anyone a dime.

I like to think we were upper middle. I really don't know.

Comment

I voted middle class and we thought we were middle class but we were more like working class or lower middle class. My mother was an LPN, my father worked (works) in industrial maintenance. We lived in a 3-bedroom ranch that my father owned, my sis and I shared a bedroom, went on family vacation once a year, always had cable, etc. No luxuries but we definitely had all of our needs met and then some.

Comment

Lemme ask Jeffrey if I can expand the poll or start a new one?

Nope I never considered class either growing up.
                            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Poor

My family lived with my grandmother… father worked blue collar job, mom stayed at home. No vacations, cable TV, food stamps, etc. Had a paper route at 11, shoveled snow, raked leaves, etc and had to make my own money since.

Went to college on grants and loans… got MBA on company dime.

Not poor anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X