No announcement yet.

Social Class growing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly liked government cheese. Granted, I was a small child and it's probably more greared toward that kind of palate, but I have fond memories of it!

Comment

Originally posted by pearlieq View Post
      I honestly liked government cheese. Granted, I was a small child and it's probably more greared toward that kind of palate, but I have fond memories of it!
      I remember it too. It was salty and gooey. All the things kids like..lol.
      "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

Wow. I read some of these posts and just feel like an a$$ for ever complaning about anything growing up.

Comment

I said lower middle class moving to middle class when I was older and my mom started working outside the home. I only now realize how little money we had when I was a kid, but my mom made it work and kept us happy little kids.

Comment

Originally posted by pearlieq View Post
            I remember the cheese too! We actually looked forward to getting it. I remember getting those dried multi bean soup package. Maybe that is why I can't stand the lima beans now.

Comment

It seems to me I grew up in all environments. 9 months of the year we lived in a marginally upper middle class neighborhood, for 3 months we lived in a very wealthy environment but during the 9 months we lived extremely frugally so my parents could afford the 3 months.

Comment

I grew up better than average in terms of money. Would have traded that in a second for understanding from my parents.

Comment

I have no idea if my family was ever lower than middle class when I was very young, but I believe we reached upper middle sometime when I hit 7th grade. I guess this in hindsight; at the time I never knew how much money my father made. Mother was a SAHM.

Of my early years, I remember having very few toys (and always wanting more) and wondering if we were poor because the neighborhood kids always had SO much more than I did. I now believe my parents were just ultra frugal and strict regarding material things, but I don't ever remember the parents arguing over money or being hungry, and we always went on a yearly family trip, sometimes involving planes.

Looking back on the lifestyle and income my father eventually reached towards the end of his career, I honestly doubt I'll ever get to that level.

Comment

We were definately lower middle class. My parents earned a upper middle class income, but do to poor money management decisions our family was just above poverty.

Comment

Working...
                    X