Going Solar, Alternative Investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tripods68 View Post
    What is the math in the savings buying a Tesla?
    I did the math in another thread on the efficiency of converting electric to gas.

A Tesla model 3 is on a 75 kWh that yield 330miles. 75kw is what it takes my house 1 day to produce when there's full sun.

A gas car currently will cost me about $32 dollars a fill for 330 miles
    So every week I get to save an additional 32 dollars. So it's another 8k saved over 5 years having a Tesla, or 16k over 10years.

Of course I'll be going for a used Tesla to maximize savings.

Comment

How much is a used tesla? How much new? Are you sure there are used tesla?
      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
        There are a lot of used Teslas near me. Is it Teslas or Tesli? But it boils down to demographics. I live near a bunch of nouveau riche idiots and the car dealers have a "the wife said no" area. You find a lot of Land Rovers and Teslas there, and a respectable amount of newer muscle cars. A google search of my zip code came up with 22 listings of used ones ranging from $42,000 to $150,000. My area code is small as my town is is divided into 3 or 4 zip codes and there are about 140,000 people in the town as a whole. I don't even live in the rich zip code. But the richest concentration of Teslas can always be found at our local Costco parking lot.

Comment

There are 389 used Teslas on autotrader.com. Vary from $45k on up.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
            The best way to get a used Tesla is actually from Tesla themselves. They have certified used which are reconditioned to be like new for about 70% of their retail price.

Tesla are mainly leased so used Tesla's are all over. Also the pricing of them drop even more if there are new must have techs in the newer models.

Comment

Here's my current strategy (obviously won't work for everyone):

1. Listen intently and ask lots of questions when your father-in-law rants about DIY solar. Don't worry you don't actually have to remember anything or actually be interested. Just keep him happy and going.

2. Ask him regularly how it is going.

3. When the state tells him he has to turn off his system because it hasn't been inspected and isn't on file, offer to have your husband spend a few nights looking over the regulations while you sleep.

4. Draw up the system in CAD and make the pretty pictures of single line diagrams and such in PowerPoint.

5. Hang out with him in the garage and get excited about his homemade plastic injection molder so that he starts working on fittings for his lifetime batteries back up battery system.

6. Keep following up until he is back online.

7. Ask him to set one up at your house while it is 70F here, but -10F and snowing where he lives. (see, there are advantages to living in the deserts of California)

So far I'm on step 6, but it's looking like a bright future (pun unintended). I expect to have a system within 2 years for less than $10,000.
              -Milly
              Personal Finance Blogger, Mechanical Engineer, and Mother of 3 Toddlers
              milly.savingadvice.com

Comment

Working...
              X