No announcement yet.

How much have you "lost" so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around 400K so far. Oh, and both of the businesses we own are completely shut down now.

Comment

Nice little recovery yesterday, was down $323k, now only $279k

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
        Nice little recovery yesterday, was down $323k, now only $279k
        And probably even a little better today.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

$10,000 realized loss (combined taxable & retirement accounts). I did miss out on the massive gains on 3/24/20 & 3/25/20.

Comment

i checked a couple of days ago and had chest pains. I had a mild panic attack because my DH and I hadn't looked. He still hasn't looked and I haven't told him. His 401k was down over $300k because I invested him mostly in total stock market index in his 401k. Part of our easy portfolio building. We also lost probably around the same in roth and taxable. I haven't the nerve to really watch right now. It's not like I'm going to do anything more than keep investing.
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Updated this morning - excluding 529s which I don’t track as part of our portfolio totals - we’re @ -14.7% YTD. Including YTD contributions as offsets, we’re down $564k. Hard to stomach, but we rode out 2008 and we’ll ride this out as well .

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                i checked a couple of days ago and had chest pains. I had a mild panic attack because my DH and I hadn't looked. He still hasn't looked and I haven't told him. His 401k was down over $300k because I invested him mostly in total stock market index in his 401k. Part of our easy portfolio building. We also lost probably around the same in roth and taxable. I haven't the nerve to really watch right now. It's not like I'm going to do anything more than keep investing.
                It is much more fun to look at the portfolio when things are going up. (Lately, I think of the chorus of Johnny Cash song Ring of Fire every time I look at our portfolio. )

We had a slight reprieve this past week and I thought about making adjustments. I don't like seeing the stock going down, but it hasn't changed our fundamental plan. We should re-balance because we are 5% off our allocation. But, I don't want to buy more equities on an "up" week and also (in general) I don't think we've found the bottom, yet.

So, I came to the same conclusion as you did. I am following the advice of Don't just do something, stand there!

Comment

sounds like a game plan. Wait. Sit and maybe watch.
                  LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                    Ohmigod! What % of his 401K is the 300K?

You aren't close to retirement, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Scallywag View Post

Ohmigod! What % of his 401K is the 300K?
                      Well Vanguard Total Stock index is down 22% YTD, and was probably off a little more a few days ago, so maybe 25%. That would mean about a $1.2 million balance originally. Is that about right LAL?
                      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Well Vanguard Total Stock index is down 22% YTD, and was probably off a little more a few days ago, so maybe 25%. That would mean about a $1.2 million balance originally. Is that about right LAL?
                        Thanks for doing the math for me, Steve!!! I just realized that srblanco7 must have started with a 4 million dollar portfolio! His loss is more than what I have!

Comment

something close i stopped looking.
                          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I've recovered some in recent days but am still down in the neighborhood of 90K.
                            I'm heavy in stocks so it's not a shock.
                            Retirement is a couple decades off, so I'm not losing any sleep yet
                            Brian

Comment

End of the month, did my monthly finances. Year to date, im down $114K. That was a bad month, but could have been worse if it wasnt for the couple day bounce. Was down $73k for the month.

Comment

down around $260k now. That's not including what went in. Sigh. Anyway what hurts the most is the kids savings. Here's hoping i make it back in spades The DK1 ESA invested $2k/year since 2010 is still up! But down $9k from Feb 1st. DK2 ESA invested since 2012 is down $6954 but still positive $500. It's something. I'm leaving them both in VTI which is what they are both completely 100% in for ESA, 529 is VOO down from $6k this year to $4878 and taxable is VTI. Both at a loss, but what can you do? I could tax loss harvest but I don't know that it's worth it for them.
                                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X