No announcement yet.

Post Your Losses ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear this about your teeth. I currently have two broken ones. Over ten years ago a dentist told me that I had the sort of teeth that dentists hate as they were strong and sturdy. Well no more. My teeth are as fragile as my hair and fingernails that the smallest bump will cause a nail to break.

When I worked doing utilization review at nursing homes for MC and MA, we had a mantra. "Medicare doesn't care if you can chew, hear or see". All systems that help a person maintain their nutrition, be able to see to prevent falls, as well as hear so that they can be part of what is going on. All very significant things. Medicare, unless you have a supplement that helps cover things like this, does not provide glasses, dentures or hearing aids. When I was still working 17-20 years ago, a person could be admitted to a nursing home and as soon as their assets were used up they went on Medicaid and ALL but $30 of their SS/pension/etc. was put towards nursing home care. That $30 had to cover shoes, clothes, new glasses when needed, haircuts, and the list goes on. Just think about what $360 can provide over the course of the year in comparison to what you pay for those items in a years time! That amount I hope has changed at this point, but nursing home residents with no active family are in a pickle for what they need. Family members can help out and if they do, well bless them! If you know a nursing home person that has no family and you wonder why their hair is a wild mess, it is probably because they have no money to get to the beautician. You would be doing a kindness to contribute to them getting a haircut, or you can buy and bring in clothes for them or special treats (that their diets will allow) because they can't afford them on their own. I realize that MC/MA only has so much money but to 'adopt' one of these older folks to be an extra grandparent, where you visit often, help with their needs, etc. would be a very generous act of kindness and allow you to help remember that most of these folks worked hard their entire lives, but due to failing health, can no longer support themselves and need some help.
    Gailete
    http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

I had a loss this week..Union Eye Care who we have our vision insurance with up and closed on Wednesday. No notice just closed, gone, goodbye. My DH had his eye exam and paid for glasses that we never got so we are most likely out $330.

I have a flexible spending account through my work and he used the debit card for that account to pay the eye doctor. I turned in a dispute form, but since it was a debit card and the place went bankrupt, we're probably going to be out that money.

My DD and I were going to go tomorrow for our appointments so it could've been more of a loss. We're supposed to find out next week who his employer will substitute for our vision provider. Rotten luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
        I had a loss this week..Union Eye Care who we have our vision insurance with up and closed on Wednesday. No notice just closed, gone, goodbye. My DH had his eye exam and paid for glasses that we never got so we are most likely out $330.
        I looked it up and they recommend filing a report with the AG BEFORE the company files for bankruptcy. Once they file, they can't even try do anything to help.

At first I wondered if the insurance company could do anything but I guess they aren't responsible for the cost of the glasses themselves. That's all between you and the store.

That sucks, but I suppose it's not as bad as all the stories of when bridal stores close and women get screwed out of dresses they spent thousands of dollars on.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I looked it up and they recommend filing a report with the AG BEFORE the company files for bankruptcy. Once they file, they can't even try do anything to help.

At first I wondered if the insurance company could do anything but I guess they aren't responsible for the cost of the glasses themselves. That's all between you and the store.

That sucks, but I suppose it's not as bad as all the stories of when bridal stores close and women get screwed out of dresses they spent thousands of dollars on.
          What would I file Steve? A complaint? Even though I did a dispute with the bank that issued the debit card? I just faxed the paperwork on Friday. I've never done anything with the Attorney Generals Office so not real knowledgeable on what needs to be done?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post

What would I file Steve? A complaint? Even though I did a dispute with the bank that issued the debit card? I just faxed the paperwork on Friday. I've never done anything with the Attorney Generals Office so not real knowledgeable on what needs to be done?
            https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/05/...ddenly-closes/

This is is the article I saw. It has a link to file a complaint. It may not get you anything but canít hurt.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Thanks for that link, Steve, I never saw it on the news, but I don't really watch tv.ha

Dang my DH did not get his prescription. I swear he is a 4th kid! I always have them write out our prescriptions and give them to us when me and my dd go.grr

I filed a consumer complaint with the AG's office, I guess that's what I'm supposed to do. I do know you can't file a Proof of Claim until the company actually files bankruptcy. We'll see what happens. Thanks

edit: and the take away is we will ALWAYS be paying for services up front on our credit card and THEN I will have the FSA account reimburse me. Then I could've disputed with my credit card.
              Last edited by Thrif-t; 05-11-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I just bought a new bluetooth head set for working out/traveling. Just got back from my last trip, so I only owned it for 2 weeks, and already lost the right earbud at the airport somehow, which is the main control of these earbuds. So I can't even use the left one on it's own. Also I literally lost 40 euro (two 20 bills) at a bar on that trip. I'm pretty sure it slipped out when I pulled out my phone when in a hurry.
                "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

I spent the past few weeks in a hot, desert climate. I made the mistake of leaving my prescription sunglasses in the car and now they are useless due to "crazy" crazing. Boo.

Comment

So we had nasty weather on Memorial Day and a funnel cloud didn't touch down but came close enough to "mess our stuff up" in my hood. It looks like it started right at my property line, too! We were about to leave to meet my sister on an expressway to pick up my daughter and then I see huge hail actually swirling around my property. Then every tv and noise machine in my house goes nuts and our phones say, "Imminent danger. Take shelter now". I live in the Midwest. I'm used to tornado warnings and what not. I have never had a message that said that. And it turns out that the tornado sirens were going off but all the hail and trees limbs falling made in impossible to hear. I live less than 1 mile from 2 sirens and neither of us heard them. So the back of our house was ok but the front broke one of our parkway trees in half, which we had to drag out of the street and cut up before we left, and the roof on the front part of our house looks like I should get some estimates ASAP, which I am still working on. I put $200 worth of new iris bulbs in last fall and they were just starting to form. I lost about half. A few were so obliterated that all I saw was the name tag and ice after the storm. You wouldn't even know anything was planted there. The other parkway tree is damaged and a maple tree has so many holes in the leaves from hail that I don't know if it will be ok next year. Only 1 of our six resident squirrels has been seen so far, so I'm assuming they are dead. There has been quite a few dead baby birds littering the streets as many of our neighbors lost full grown trees. Completely uprooted. Windows, storm doors, and roofs are gone, so I feel lucky that we only lost some trees and shingles (and squirrels).

On the plus side, our new Jeep was able to raise itself high enough to get through the flooded streets to pick up our daughter. Other people were flooded out. Had we left just 5 mins prior, our new car would have been pelted with hail. Our city declared us a disaster zone, so we got our trees and debris picked up for free and I think we are supposed to get our parkway trees replaced for free. We shall see. Their choices were awful the last time I checked, and the trees I want are $800 each, plus planting.

Comment

Working...
                    X