No announcement yet.

Airline overhead space rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate flying. I'm not afraid of it. I hate the airplane and airport experience.

If you book online, check in up to 24 hours in advance. Should be able to change your seat assignment. If not, check again at the gate.

When I fly coach/cattle class, I usually plan to check a bag for exactly the reasons mentioned. I do carry a backpack which goes under the seat in front of me and contains all the important stuff (medications, wallet, laptop) should my checked bag not arrive at my destination (which has happened!).

Flying without airline/priority status or a first class ticket really sucks.

Comment

I said it before and Ill say it again. I wish they would end overhead space. Adds a lot of time getting on the plane and getting off. Force people to store small items under their seat, gate check, or pay for larger items. I have no issues heading to the luggage pickup area after a flight. If you're in a rush, pack a backpack and shove it under the seat in front of you. #firstworldproblems

It sounds insane, but overhead space adds a lot of unnecessary stress to people traveling. Get rid of it!
      Last edited by rennigade; 06-09-2021, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
        When I fly coach/cattle class, ....

Flying without airline/priority status or a first class ticket really sucks.
        You get what you pay for, and People don't want to pay much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scallywag View Post

I'm going to be forced to travel more frequently in the future due to a family situation, so any idea how to handle this, if needed? Prerry sure that woman behind me isn't the only selfish jerk flying out there, unfortunately.
          I don't know if Southwest is an option for you, but what I would suggest is fly Southwest and pay for early boarding. Honestly, the boarding process for Southwest is lot more orderly than other legacy airlines I have flown on (where they bracket the boarding groups). Southwest has refined the process to where you know your exact boarding position.

There are no assigned seats, so if you come across a seat where the overhead has stuff in it you can proceed a little further down the aisle until you find your favorite seat plus overhead storage. (That is the criteria that DH and I use).

My experience with SWA is that the flight attendants go out of their way to find space in the overhead. They will reorganize the bin in order to fit more in and rarely do they have to do the gate check thing. (Of course, I will admit we haven't flown since Jan 2020, so I don't know if that has changed any).

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post
            I don't know if Southwest is an option for you, but what I would suggest is fly Southwest and pay for early boarding. Honestly, the boarding process for Southwest is lot more orderly than other legacy airlines I have flown on (where they bracket the boarding groups). Southwest has refined the process to where you know your exact boarding position.

There are no assigned seats, so if you come across a seat where the overhead has stuff in it you can proceed a little further down the aisle until you find your favorite seat plus overhead storage. (That is the criteria that DH and I use).

My experience with SWA is that the flight attendants go out of their way to find space in the overhead. They will reorganize the bin in order to fit more in and rarely do they have to do the gate check thing. (Of course, I will admit we haven't flown since Jan 2020, so I don't know if that has changed any).
            No assigned space? So we can sit wherever we want? I should try this airline then.

When we do fly (rarely until now, but likely more frequently from here on out), we usually fly United as we get miles on our Chase Visa. We also usually check in everything but my meds and my son's meds are always carried on. It's not a huge backpack so it infuriated me to notice there was no space even for our small medical bag thanks to the Moron behind us.

This was on Alaska, so will try South West from now on.

Comment

my meds and my son's meds are always carried on. It's not a huge backpack
              That stuff would be in the bag I keep with me, so I wouldn't care about the overhead space anyway. I fly with a backpack with all the stuff I don't want to check.
              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
                I said it before and Ill say it again. I wish they would end overhead space. Adds a lot of time getting on the plane and getting off. Force people to store small items under their seat, gate check, or pay for larger items. I have no issues heading to the luggage pickup area after a flight. If you're in a rush, pack a backpack and shove it under the seat in front of you. #firstworldproblems

It sounds insane, but overhead space adds a lot of unnecessary stress to people traveling. Get rid of it!
                Yes, it does, esp as people try to avoid paying for carry on by sneaking it monstrous sized backpacks masquerading as check-ins and the flight attendants don't seem to actually enforce the one above and one under the seat policy.

If the flight attendants had pulled one of Moron's monstrosity off the overhead bin and forced her to shove it under my seat (i was sitting in front of her), it might have made them realize how huge her "carry on" really was and she would have been forced to check her bags in. Apparently, Alaska does not train their attendants to actually enforce their carry-on policies.

Comment

Scallywag,
                  On Southwest-if anyone in your party requires special pre-boarding assistance, that person plus one other can pre-board before anyone else is allowed on the plane. In that situation, you might not need to pay for early boarding. If the first row of seats are open when you board the plane there are some advantages to picking those seats--one is FAA regulations requires all the carry on items for the first row of seats must be stowed in the overhead (because there are no seats in front in which to put the carry ons under the seat). Of course, all items include your pocket book in the overhead and that is a negative for some folks. The flight attendants usually watch those bins especially. Another advantage to the first row is you get to get off the plane first.

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post
                    Scallywag,
                    On Southwest-if anyone in your party requires special pre-boarding assistance, that person plus one other can pre-board before anyone else is allowed on the plane. In that situation, you might not need to pay for early boarding. If the first row of seats are open when you board the plane there are some advantages to picking those seats--one is FAA regulations requires all the carry on items for the first row of seats must be stowed in the overhead (because there are no seats in front in which to put the carry ons under the seat). Of course, all items include your pocket book in the overhead and that is a negative for some folks. The flight attendants usually watch those bins especially. Another advantage to the first row is you get to get off the plane first.
                    Since I usually check in at least a bag or two, it doesn't really matter if I'm first to get off or not. I still cannot get out any sooner than my baggage is picked up at the carousels. But I like the idea of orderly boarding and having space for my carry-on so will try South West next! Thank you!

Comment

Since I usually check in at least a bag or two, it doesn't really matter if I'm first to get off or not. I still cannot get out any sooner than my baggage is picked up at the carousels. But I like the idea of orderly boarding and having space for my carry-on so will try South West next! Thank you!
                      The key with Southwest is to get a low boarding number- especially if you are traveling with others. If you board in the c boarding group, you may only find center seats left. So, it is really important to pay for early boarding when you purchase your tickets (if you don’t have status (wher they assign you an A boarding number — if the computer assigns any other group, they let you board at the end of the a group)

Comment

Working...
                      X