No announcement yet.

2021 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got rid of a toilet the other day that came from the bathroom at our cabin.
    My gf listed it on Facebook Marketplace for free, and someone responded and came for it the next day

Brian

Comment

I spent a few days with my cousin last week. As typically happens when we are on vacation in a hotel, rental home, or in this case, the home of another person who has little to no clutter, I came home extra annoyed by ours.

This morning, I finally finished unpacking (I came home on Monday). Everything is back where it belongs. I also cleaned up the area near our front door where things tend to accumulate.

I just listed a couple of items on our Buy Nothing group.

I also cleared out about 30 emails from my in box and redeemed an Open Table dining reward that expires in March.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Just decluttered (closed) a credit card.

Comment

I cleaned up old work Favorite links in browser that no longer existed, or just didn't need. Ended up organizing by work benefits, tools/references, with a much easier view to find. Deleted older text conversations on phone, and removing extra photos on google drive.
          "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Cleared off old mail and stuff from kitchen table area

Cleared off computer desk of assorted papers and stuff

Mailed 2 gas station gift cards to a relative in Florida. The company no longer has locations in our area so I can't use them, but he can.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Minor, but my OCD side loves it -- I got into work early this morning, and spent a few minutes organizing my personal work files.

Earlier this week I transitioned all of my files to a cloud drive (so that I don't lose everything... Again... When my computer dies.... Again.... Gotta love military technology)
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Doing some work in the computer room today. So far:

Listed on Buy Nothing:
                Stack of 51CD/DVD cases
                Large bag of assorted tech cables
                Pair of computer speakers
                Portable computer speaker

Several other items went in the trash
                Steve

Comment

I spent about 45 minutes going through a huge folder of sentimental paper memories: ticket stubs, theater playbills, event invitations, postcards, greeting cards, etc. This is the stuff that is among the hardest to purge. It's of no tangible value to me or anyone else but the memories these things evoke are powerful.

I ended up tossing a large pile. I did hold onto quite a few things that are of particular significance: the playbill from the very first show for which I was lighting designer and the one for the first show my future wife and I did together, my med school graduation program, my college graduation invitation, etc. But the bulk of the stuff went into the recycling bin. I had many playbills from shows I don't even remember seeing so there really aren't any memories connected to them. Out they went.

On the other hand, I also found a playbill from a small very-off-Broadway show I saw in 1985 that starred Betty Buckley. I immediately snapped a picture of it and tweeted it to her. I follow her on Twitter and she and I have interacted a few times on there. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it.

So much more to be done but it felt good to take this step even if it's just scratching the surface.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                    Doing some work in the computer room today. So far:

Listed on Buy Nothing:
                    Stack of 51CD/DVD cases
                    Large bag of assorted tech cables
                    Pair of computer speakers
                    Portable computer speaker

Several other items went in the trash
                    Recently completed a master bath update - new shower, flooring, countertop, etc. and in the process tossed about 2 bags worth of miscellaneous items that had accumulated under sinks, in drawers, and in the closet.

I quoted DisneySteve because I'm sitting at a desk that has drawers full of CD/DVD cases and tech cables. That'll be getting cleaned out today. Thanks for the inspiration.
                    Last edited by srblanco7; 03-07-2021, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I finally hung the paint by number I did a few months back. It's just over my computer so I can appreciate it every day. Up until now, it's been on the floor leaning against the desk or a bookcase.
                      Steve

Comment

I went through more old paper ephemera today. Most went in the recycling bin. A select few things were saved. Two items were listed on eBay and one already has a bid.

There was a very large bag on the floor of a closet that I thought held something else but actually contained a ton of old medical supplies like band aids, medication samples (long expired), gauze pads, and the like. 99% of it went into the trash.

Also in the floor of that closet was a crate filled with old Disney magazines. I really have no attachment to them. In fact I sold a bunch of similar magazines last year. I’m going to sell these also but I know there are more a couple of other places in the house. I want to wait until I get them all together and then I’ll start listing them.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                          I went through more old paper ephemera today. Most went in the recycling bin. A select few things were saved. Two items were listed on eBay and one already has a bid.
                          My two ebay auctions both sold, one for $10 and one for $23.50 - for things that have been taking up space literally for decades and that most sane people would have tossed in the trash.
                          Steve

Comment

Another ebay item sold. One that is active now has a bid so that will sell.

I'm off for the next 10 days and plan to spend time attacking the clutter.
                            Steve

Comment

I emptied and sorted through both desk drawers tonight. I threw out a bunch of old markers, more pre-printed address labels (free from various charities) than I could ever possibly use, and some other things. I recycled a bunch of notepads that will never get used. I put the checkbook from our now-closed HELOC in the shred pile. Several staplers, a bunch of rulers, and other assorted office-type things will go to Goodwill. I filed my quarterly sales tax returns in the tax file for each year.

There are still a slew of post-it notes and more staples than we will use in our lifetime. I have to find someone who can use some of those.

I also cleaned a bunch of papers off the computer desk and got rid of a pile of papers that had accumulated on top of the shredder. To be honest, I couldn't tell you the last time we used the shredder. I take everything to work to shred, but I'm hesitant to get rid of ours. Some day in the not too distant future when I don't have a job to go to anymore, I'll want us to have our own. Silly to get rid of it now just to have to buy a new one 3 or 4 years from now.
                              Steve

Comment

I went in the basement tonight. I packed one large carton box for Goodwill. I need to go that way tomorrow so I will drop it off. Then I photographed and listed a bunch of old camera equipment on Marketplace. Hopefully that sells. I'll give it away if it doesn't but it's worth quite a bit more than I'm asking for it so I'd like to get some money out of it.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X