Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd stimulus check

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    I sort of want out medical system to break. So I'm not sure I want medicaid to expand. Of course with all the unemployment maybe it should expand because once you give an entitlement it's impossible to take away. So once they expand medicaid it'll be impossible to get rid of and set the US down the path of single payer sooner I think. I think that employers will decouple it faster as it becomes a less common benefit and maybe with all the unemployment something that happens is that people work "part-time" as servers, grocery, etc more than ever. They no longer get medical through full time employment and then they are allowed to "buy" medicaid or qualify because the income bracket becomes way more feasible. So then people get used to it and that pushes an expansion again. I don't know

    The stimulus 2nd check would be identical to the first, BUT they are talking about repealing the SALT tax. They are talking about expanding medicaid.

    I don't think the check idea is going to work with people being out of work unless we know they are eventually going back to work. But if the GDP and consumer spending is radically different because people are changing their habits then we are in a different economy. Or it leads back to if 14.5% or 30+ million people are unemployed are people still going out spending when they are allowed too? Or are people in the hole? Do people even those with jobs nervous? Are they feeling the pressure? Did they take a paycut>
    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
      Or it leads back to if 14.5% or 30+ million people are unemployed are people still going out spending when they are allowed too? Or are people in the hole? Do people even those with jobs nervous? Are they feeling the pressure? Did they take a paycut>
      Everyone, even those out of work, will spend more once things reopen. People will shop. People will eat out. People will drive more. People will visit friends and family. People will travel. Right now, consumer spending is down sharply because there are very few places to spend money.

      Are people with jobs nervous? Absolutely. I can tell you all of my peers have been nervous about our jobs. We're seeing more and more stories of cutbacks and lay offs in healthcare. I'm in a national urgent care providers Facebook group and numerous people have seen their hours cut, hourly rate cut, locations closed, furloughs issued. It's not inconceivable at all that it could happen to me. We keep being told they are committed to keeping us working but that doesn't mean circumstances couldn't ultimately lead them to throw in the towel. I have a friend who works for a major hospital system in the mid west who just had the match on her 403b discontinued.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

        Everyone, even those out of work, will spend more once things reopen. People will shop. People will eat out. People will drive more. People will visit friends and family. People will travel. Right now, consumer spending is down sharply because there are very few places to spend money.

        Are people with jobs nervous? Absolutely. I can tell you all of my peers have been nervous about our jobs. We're seeing more and more stories of cutbacks and lay offs in healthcare. I'm in a national urgent care providers Facebook group and numerous people have seen their hours cut, hourly rate cut, locations closed, furloughs issued. It's not inconceivable at all that it could happen to me. We keep being told they are committed to keeping us working but that doesn't mean circumstances couldn't ultimately lead them to throw in the towel. I have a friend who works for a major hospital system in the mid west who just had the match on her 403b discontinued.
        People out of work will spend on essentials / necessities, not on travel or disposables. And i agree with bs that the second stimulus is likely just a political stunt

        Comment


          #49
          I think it's an insane move giving out a bunch of money to everyone. In the long run it will make the weak, weaker and more dependent. The contributors who actually pay taxes will be strapped with an enormous burden.
          For every dollar people are receiving, they are probably throwing away another three just on administration, and other stuff we don't know about. These are the same guys that buy $100 hammers and $200 toilet seats.

          Comment


            #50
            Not sure how to discuss the topic without reading the 1800 page bill. I downloaded but then found it to be 1800 freaken pages. Waiting for mainstream media to pick exactly what they like to attack or praise the bill cause no sheep is willing to sit through and read 1800 pages of a dry ass document.

            They make this crap this long on purpose or what? I read some of it, not a lot of details even at 1800 pages. Just a lot of repetitive nonsense without any real hard numbers. Just X amount of money granted for X project(with minimum details on how it's distributed, what qualification its needed to get that money or how are you disqualified from it).
            Last edited by Singuy; 05-13-2020, 02:05 PM.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
              I think it's an insane move giving out a bunch of money to everyone. In the long run it will make the weak, weaker and more dependent. The contributors who actually pay taxes will be strapped with an enormous burden.
              For every dollar people are receiving, they are probably throwing away another three just on administration, and other stuff we don't know about. These are the same guys that buy $100 hammers and $200 toilet seats.
              People need jobs, not handouts. This is highly likely just a political stunt and one upmanship by Pelosi.

              Comment


                #52
                I do think people need jobs but look at hawaii? They have lines of 4000 people looking for food. Because they haven't processed a ton of claims for unemployment for 2 months.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                  I do think people need jobs but look at hawaii? They have lines of 4000 people looking for food. Because they haven't processed a ton of claims for unemployment for 2 months.
                  Didn't they get the stimulud payment? I don't know Hawaii's COL for groceries but where I live $1200 would pay for 2 months of vegetarian food for a family of 4. This is actually how people are spending that check here - not on rent but feeding their kids.

                  I am no one to judge because we could have so easily have been in that position, but most people need a job yesterday and a smack on the side of the head aka a CLUE BY 100!

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Scallywag View Post

                    People need jobs, not handouts.
                    Of course they need jobs, but they also need to be able to live in the meantime. Nobody can magically make their jobs come back but the government can lend financial support. The unemployment system is a disaster. There are people around here who have yet to get their first check and they've been unemployed for 6-8 weeks. I have one friend who got the first two checks and hasn't gone another one for some reason. And there is only a one hour (maybe two hour) window a couple of times a week when she's allowed to access the system to file. It's based on her SSN. If she misses it on Monday, she has to wait until Thursday to log in again (I believe that's correct. I might be fuzzy on the details). People have to eat and pay all of their bills. Sure they got the stimulus check but how long does $1,200 last? That's gone in no time. Could you live for 4 or 6 or 8 weeks on $1,200?
                    Steve

                    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                      Of course they need jobs, but they also need to be able to live in the meantime. Nobody can magically make their jobs come back but the government can lend financial support. The unemployment system is a disaster. There are people around here who have yet to get their first check and they've been unemployed for 6-8 weeks. I have one friend who got the first two checks and hasn't gone another one for some reason. And there is only a one hour (maybe two hour) window a couple of times a week when she's allowed to access the system to file. It's based on her SSN. If she misses it on Monday, she has to wait until Thursday to log in again (I believe that's correct. I might be fuzzy on the details). People have to eat and pay all of their bills. Sure they got the stimulus check but how long does $1,200 last? That's gone in no time. Could you live for 4 or 6 or 8 weeks on $1,200?
                      That's exactly what I said - a family of 4 can be fed a clean vegetarian diet for 2 months on $1200.

                      Unemployment is running out. The money has to be spread out among millions of applicants and I think it will vaporize in a matter of weeks. Govt can't bail millions out without creating tax burdens on millions of others!

                      Comment


                        #56
                        yeah but $1200 isn't enough for rent. And rent or mortgage will come due. And for others it could be barely covering medications because that's not covered. Then auto insurance? $1200 is a not of living expenses with utilties. Hawaii is expensive with utilities. So you don't know where or how the $1200 was spent. It could be just paying minimums on CC like $25 here and there so they can keep using the CC.
                        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X