Have you been impacted by COVID-19 yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/c0de1d16...9-bullion.html

Wasn't sure which thread to post this but gold dealers are out of physical gold.
    Attached Files

Comment

They sell it in single grams? Those must be just larger than flecks!
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

1 gram is about the size of a pinky finger nail and very thin.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
          1 gram is about the size of a pinky finger nail and very thin.
          Calling that a "gold bar" seems a bit excessive.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

DS you in NJ are in the line of fire. I've thought for awhile that the east coast is going down in flames with this and it'll spread like wildfire and then head west. Do you think so? Economically speaking we're are a month ahead of the rest of the country with how bad it is. But we aren't doing bad with the virus. But now we're all thinking we'll be stuck for a lot longer because it's spreading outside where we are and heading back to us.
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
              DS you in NJ are in the line of fire. I've thought for awhile that the east coast is going down in flames with this and it'll spread like wildfire and then head west. Do you think so? Economically speaking we're are a month ahead of the rest of the country with how bad it is. But we aren't doing bad with the virus. But now we're all thinking we'll be stuck for a lot longer because it's spreading outside where we are and heading back to us.
              I think the US failed miserably at addressing this. The country should have been locked down early on, not left for each state to do their own thing. Some states still haven't shut down, or have only partially done so. Flights should have been grounded. Borders should have been closed.

At this point, the cat is out of the bag. The virus is widespread and not containable. We're still allowing tens of thousands of people to fly around the country every day coming from heavily infected areas going to less infected areas. That the exact opposite of what a quarantine is supposed to look like.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

We made it back from the emergency (essential) road trip from So. Cal to Idaho in record time! All states along the way had stay at home orders. A lot less traffic on the road except for truckers hauling goods. Idaho seemed to have the most traffic. We towed our Airstream with us so we could be socially distant and it was a success! We were able to snag a spot in an RV park about 5 hours from school for 2 nights. The manager was reluctant on the 2nd night due to the stay in place order (it must have just happened). He said that only full-timers could stay, but he would make an exception due to our circumstances. Everything was done on the phone with no contact. I used a CC at all gas stations and had wipes and gloves. Plenty of food and water in the trailer. Spoke to a fellow at a rest stop in NV and he was travelling from AZ to northern NV. Said he saw lots of people on the side of the road with cars and RVs. Sounds like they were stuck or tired and on their way home....This was a rather expensive trip for us -- paying for gas and the cost to board our 2 cats amounted to a lot. But after all, what is money for?

Comment

Originally posted by SavingBucks View Post
                  We made it back from the emergency (essential) road trip from So. Cal to Idaho in record time! All states along the way had stay at home orders. A lot less traffic on the road except for truckers hauling goods. Idaho seemed to have the most traffic. We towed our Airstream with us so we could be socially distant and it was a success! We were able to snag a spot in an RV park about 5 hours from school for 2 nights. The manager was reluctant on the 2nd night due to the stay in place order (it must have just happened). He said that only full-timers could stay, but he would make an exception due to our circumstances. Everything was done on the phone with no contact. I used a CC at all gas stations and had wipes and gloves. Plenty of food and water in the trailer. Spoke to a fellow at a rest stop in NV and he was travelling from AZ to northern NV. Said he saw lots of people on the side of the road with cars and RVs. Sounds like they were stuck or tired and on their way home....This was a rather expensive trip for us -- paying for gas and the cost to board our 2 cats amounted to a lot. But after all, what is money for?
                  Unfortunately I have to go into work due to essential services. Been commuting to work and riding around on a bike during the crisis. Downtown honolulu and waikiki is almost a surreal scene with very few cars or tourists bumbling everywhere. It reminds me of what hawaii probably was like in the old days before completely overrun with 10million tourists. Bittersweet experience, to be sure, but should be experienced as a extremely rare treat not likely to be seen again in this lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

Unfortunately I have to go into work due to essential services. Been commuting to work and riding around on a bike during the crisis. Downtown honolulu and waikiki is almost a surreal scene with very few cars or tourists bumbling everywhere. It reminds me of what hawaii probably was like in the old days before completely overrun with 10million tourists. Bittersweet experience, to be sure, but should be experienced as a extremely rare treat not likely to be seen again in this lifetime.
                    The lack of traffic, especially when I leave work at 9pm, is so odd. I live and work in a very busy area. There is never a lack of traffic, even in the middle of the night. Now, at 5pm on a weekday, the main road is nearly deserted. I've been going home with a different route that I'd never take normally because my commute would be 15-20 minutes longer. Now I just zip home. Yesterday I left at about 4:50pm, stopped at Wawa for milk and Walgreens to pick up a prescription and was still home by 5:15.
                    Steve

Comment

My employer gave everyone across the board a 10% increase in pay due to the Chinese virus.
                      Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

Comment

Originally posted by greenskeeper View Post
                        My employer gave everyone across the board a 10% increase in pay due to the Chinese virus.
                        You mean the "kung flu?"

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                          It reminds me of what hawaii probably was like in the old days before completely overrun with 10million tourists. Bittersweet experience, to be sure, but should be experienced as a extremely rare treat not likely to be seen again in this lifetime.
                          I grew up in Guam, and back in the 80's/90's the island was still very tourist-oriented...but over the last 20 years it's gotten much more crowded, and frankly trashy in many ways. I imagine it must be surreal yet enjoyable to see Hawaii more quiet/calm that it's also become with all the madness of constant (and generally rude) tourists over time.
                          "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEM...ature=youtu.be

Surreal to see Las Vegas, my favorite place to visit a ghost town.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                              I grew up in Guam, and back in the 80's/90's the island was still very tourist-oriented...but over the last 20 years it's gotten much more crowded, and frankly trashy in many ways. I imagine it must be surreal yet enjoyable to see Hawaii more quiet/calm that it's also become with all the madness of constant (and generally rude) tourists over time.
                              That's pretty cool! I know guam tourism has also really taken off and is booming, presenting similar challenges as Hawaii. One (small) advantage islands have during this virus mess is that it's far easier to restrict people coming in to the state and enforce the stay at home orders.

Comment

I work at a university...email just came out that students arent allowed back until early May...which means, all staff will continue to work from home. Looks like ill be working from home for at least another 3 weeks. They may bring us in the week before students, hard to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X