The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

What is your net worth? I illustrated my net worth below

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    Our income has varied a lot over 13 years as well. We made $20k to $175K. plus we went down to 1 income and then added 2 kids. It's not what you make it's what you save. Plus in 2006 when we got our real first job and we had $4k in retirement savings. Since then we just saved the maximum and my DH was able to get retirement accounts being foreign. So the only savings previously was done by me and we were graduate students.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fizgig
    replied
    35, single, $95k/yr (was making more like 70k until last year)

    Assets:
    Retirement: 158k
    Liquid: 40k
    House: 150k

    Liabilities:
    Mortgage: 87k

    Net worth ~ 260k

    I'm comfortable calling that an A. I live cheaply, have solid earning power, and don't feel a driving need to be uber rich.

    Leave a comment:


  • MonkeyMama
    replied
    Originally posted by feh View Post
    And then you have to decide if you're just talking salary, or do you include capital gains, dividends, etc.
    For past 13 years our income was $20k-$100k. We take home far more on $80k today than we ever did on a $100k (2-income) salary (taxes taxes taxes). I had a nice work retirement benefit (10% employer contribution) for about 8 years, but for the most part we have never had any other work benefits. This also means 15% of my salary has gone to private health insurance for a long time (ever rising). We also have a lot of tax-free and non-traditional side hussles (like our credit card rewards). So I think this number is pretty arbitrary. But all of this said, no we have not been living on $20k or $200k. I understand this narrows it down and gives some perspective.
    Last edited by MonkeyMama; 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • feh
    replied
    Originally posted by Caoineag View Post
    Pretty sure our income wouldn't help, our expenses are way more consistent than our income. But for income, we have ranged from 30k to I suspect this year over 120k somewhere. We've averaged for most of our savings years at 60k which is probably more useful.
    We've been saving for 20 years, and our income has a pretty wide range during that time - anywhere from 60K to 160K. And then you have to decide if you're just talking salary, or do you include capital gains, dividends, etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caoineag
    replied
    Originally posted by TBH View Post
    This seems kind of arbitrary to me if we're not listing income. Our household income is about $70,000 to $80,000 depending on the year.
    Pretty sure our income wouldn't help, our expenses are way more consistent than our income. But for income, we have ranged from 30k to I suspect this year over 120k somewhere. We've averaged for most of our savings years at 60k which is probably more useful.

    Leave a comment:


  • LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    I haven't looked in so long...sooo now I am curious. We've been on autopilot for 3 years now 35 and 33 with 2 kids, 1 income.

    Condo $600k
    Retirement $385k
    College $10k
    Taxable Account $140k
    EF $40k
    =$1.175M

    Debts
    Mortgage $402k

    = $773k Net Worth.

    Um wow. I hadn't realized that we had saved so much or our assets were over a million. Happy day. We really need to consider moving however and I'm not sure what will happen with our condo. I definitely can get $600k probably more since the market is heating up. I don't like the prospects of buying SFH.

    My goal is break $400k in retirement accounts this year and really consider saving more for college. I still can't wrap my head around it until we buy our final home. Yes I want a lot of things and one of them is a SFH with garage and yard.

    Leave a comment:


  • TBH
    replied
    This seems kind of arbitrary to me if we're not listing income. Our household income is about $70,000 to $80,000 depending on the year.

    Age 36/50

    Assets:
    Cash: 61,500
    Retirement: 207,000
    Taxable/529s: 90,000
    House Value 250,000

    Debt:
    Mortgage: 172,000

    Net Worth $436,500


    I'd give us a B- because we're a bit behind on retirement savings considering the age of my DH. We also bought a bit too much house. We're doing okay but the house is making it harder to save.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caoineag
    replied
    I'll play.

    Ages 32 and 30 (I'm the older one)

    Assets
    Investments $76,498
    Home $200,000
    Car $11,000

    Debts
    Mortgage $112,160
    Student Loans $6,859
    Credit Cards $8,979
    Car Loan $9,213

    Networth $150,287

    As of 2009, we had a negative networth so I will give us an B at this point. Ask me in another 2 months and the credit card category will have already disappeared.

    Leave a comment:


  • Blessed
    replied
    Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
    Before anyone gets to hard on themselves, remember that a net worth number is just that. A number. You have to look at factors like income, age, and annual expenses. Don't look at just the number itself.
    Oh I'm not hard on myself. Our expenses are pretty low right now. I know exactly how many years the $ would last us if all costs stay as they are today. I know there is 0 chance of that happening. It needs to grow a lot to make it thru the type of retirement we want. We are great savers on income earned so for that we get an A. One issue is I kept things so low risk for so long.


    I will say though if we consider a C average tons of us posting are above average. I saw statistics a while back on what the average person has in assets and for retirement. Not good.

    Leave a comment:


  • bjl584
    replied
    Originally posted by Blessed View Post
    I'm going to give us a C+
    Before anyone gets to hard on themselves, remember that a net worth number is just that. A number. You have to look at factors like income, age, and annual expenses. Don't look at just the number itself.

    Leave a comment:


  • shaggy
    replied
    Originally posted by shaggy View Post
    Sure, I'll play.

    Assets:
    -----------
    Retirement 248,516
    Non-retirement stocks/bonds 18,770
    Cash 86,679
    Gold/Diamonds 60,000

    TOTAL ASSETS: 413,967


    Liabilities:
    --------------
    Zero


    Total Net Worth:
    -----------------
    413,967


    It looks pretty good if I don't factor in that I'm 50 years old and seriously behind in my retirement savings. Good thing I don't plan on retiring.


    ETA: Forgot to include my biggest asset, my company. Two years ago my share was estimated (by an expert) at 2.5 million (not that I think it's an easy asset to sell, but it could be. It generates a lot of cash).


    Repeating my own post to give myself a grade.

    I'd give myself a D. I'm saving more than 30% of my income now, but I fear it won't be enough for my old age.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrpaseo
    replied
    Put me in the embarrassed category, but here goes.

    We are both 40 (She is three days older than I)

    Home Value: $140k (We are located in a good spot, development in the area will make this go up in the near future, many other houses on the street have sold for excess of $160k)

    Stuff (Collections, Harley, SUV (We have received offers on the SUV): :60,150

    Precious Metals, Cash: $5,751.21

    Retirement accounts: $89,846.14

    Total: $279,747.35


    Liabilities:

    HELOC: $17k even


    Net worth: $262,747.35

    We are -$72,649.45 from where I need to be with the retirement accounts, we have a plan to make this shortage up.

    ________________

    Our current plan will put us at age 50 our ROTH and 401k will be at $446k (If we earn 8% per year)

    At 65 our plan will have us at 1,415k (In ROTHs and 401k, pending we earn 8%).

    Leave a comment:


  • Blessed
    replied
    I'm going to give us a C+

    Leave a comment:


  • QuarterMillionMan
    replied
    I just thought of this but what letter grade would you give yourself. Given my age I would give myself a "C." If I were double my net worth at my age now then I'd give myself an "A." I'm open to being graded by others also.

    Leave a comment:


  • shaggy
    replied
    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
    I was waiting to see if anyone asked that question or included those things. Shaggy did include non-financial assets (gold and diamonds) but nobody else has yet.
    Not to quibble, but gold and diamonds are more liquid than a house IMNSHO, and definitely assets if you've bought them as such (i.e. didn't buy them as retail).

    I wouldn't include antiques or art because the bottom has dropped out of those markets, which is a shame since I do have some nice art.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X