The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you work from home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you work from home?

Do you have any tricks? Here's what I'm thinking:

-Don't work in the bedroom, that'll mess my sleep up
    -Don't watch TV during the day. Just no.
    -Eat throughout the day at my desk so I don't need to take a lunchbreak
    -Maybe get a walking desk...

Any other thoughts?

I wouldn't do it.
    Home life and work life should be separated in my opinion.

Comment

If what you do in your away-from home workplace is good, why not do something very similar at home?

Are you looking to spend more time working? That's what your questions kind of sound like to me.

As to eating at the desk and not taking a break, why? Breaks are good for us, body and mind. Besides, if you are anything like me and you eat while you work, it is very easy to lose track of the eating and over do it. In my opinion it is better to separate meals and work. Eh, more civilized, too.

I guess I think the same about exercise. Separate it from your desk work. Since you will be at home, won't you have more control over your schedule? Use the daylight hours to get outside a bit everyday. I think we aren't meant to live in dime caves all day. Surely your exercise will be better for you, mind and body, if you are not trying to type and follow written lines as you walk or run. That would make me nauseated anyway, unless I'm walking v-e-r-y slowly.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
        I wouldn't do it.
        Home life and work life should be separated in my opinion.
        I respect that but I HATE commuting. I can work in a spare bedroom and that'll at least simulate the separation of work/not work.

Comment

Working from home is fraught with distractions productivity-killers for most people, which is the primary reason employers are so resistant to allowing it.

My best suggestion is to treat working at home like you would in an office. Establish a start and end time. Dress yourself as if you'll need to leave the house. Set up a dedicated home-office or private workspace where there is no TV, children playing, etc. When work is done, act as though you are leaving the office for the day and don't spend any meaningful time in there if you don't have to during non-work hours. Even though you are at home, you still need breaks. When I do it, I will actually leave for lunch--it gets me out of the house just enough so I can clear my mind and break up my day into two meaningful chunks.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
            Working from home is fraught with distractions productivity-killers for most people, which is the primary reason employers are so resistant to allowing it.

My best suggestion is to treat working at home like you would in an office. Establish a start and end time. Dress yourself as if you'll need to leave the house. Set up a dedicated home-office or private workspace where there is no TV, children playing, etc. When work is done, act as though you are leaving the office for the day and don't spend any meaningful time in there if you don't have to during non-work hours. Even though you are at home, you still need breaks. When I do it, I will actually leave for lunch--it gets me out of the house just enough so I can clear my mind and break up my day into two meaningful chunks.
            Those are all really good tips. THanks!

Comment

I work from home and I get more done now than I ever did working in an office. I think there are many more distractions there. People stop by and talk. Coffee breaks. Ordering in lunch (which, of course, ends up lengthening the lunch break.) Meetings after meetings.

I have a designated room in my house that is my office. It's not used as anything else. I start at 7 AM, have an hour lunch break, and end at 4 PM.

One thing to note though, I do NOT have kids. I feel if there were kids here then I would never get work done at home. I only have pets. My 2 cats hang out in my office doing their thing, but my dog knows to stay out. He knows lunch time is his play time and then after I get off work of course. Not sure kids are as well trained lol.

Comment

The main problem with working from home is the challenge in truly separating "home" from "work".

Have a designated room that is strictly for work. It should be furnished accordingly.
                Have a separate phone line for work. Don't use your home landline or personal cell phone.
                Dress for work. No going into your office in fuzzy slippers and a bathrobe.
                Keep to a set schedule.
                Make it clear to friends and family that although you are physically at home, you are working. You will not accept phone calls. You will not answer texts and emails. You won't open the door when your neighbor rings the bell.
                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I have worked at home in the past.. and still do work from home. It is pretty awesome! Nothing like drinking a cold beer at my desk and actually getting paid to do it ! My trick is to drink enough beer to where it no long feels like work. Part of what I do is listening to music all day so i enjoy it.

I will never work a regular job again where I have to punch in. No more waking up early for me! Life is awesome.

Comment

I usually spent half the day seeing patients, the other half was spent on charting on them in a laptop. I was allowed to do that at home and I got done a heck of a lot faster without a bunch of people around, I liked them but it does affect your productivity. I sat in the same spot with just my work laptop and phone, did not watch tv or check personal email or stop working, do stuff with the kids and finish it later as my colleagues did. I wanted work to end at the time it was supposed to and it usually did.

Comment

I telecommute once in awhile and I start working as soon as the kids leaves for school. It has been the best time for me to work since I can concentrate well and would not be disturbed.

Comment

Originally posted by FLA View Post
                        I usually spent half the day seeing patients, the other half was spent on charting on them in a laptop. I was allowed to do that at home and I got done a heck of a lot faster without a bunch of people around, I liked them but it does affect your productivity. I sat in the same spot with just my work laptop and phone, did not watch tv or check personal email or stop working, do stuff with the kids and finish it later as my colleagues did. I wanted work to end at the time it was supposed to and it usually did.
                        I like this. Compartmentalizing your day. Makes sense.

Comment

I do not do any work from home.

My partner likes to do some of his chart work at home. The problem is this causes havoc in the office because he takes the charts home and we often need them onsite. I keep telling him to knock it off but he's the boss so he gets to do what he wants .
                          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Create an office that wont have any distraction. IF you are using a computer than block sites that will distract you.

Comment

1. let your family know it's REAL WORK. They should respect your work and schedule.
                              2. try to focus on your work. If you are working, don't procrastinate.
                              3. create an 'office' space as much as possible, will keep distractions out of your mind.
                              4. delegate some stuff (hire a cleaner for instance, if you earn more hourly income than her rates).
                              5. make sure your have your priorities set.

In my case the priority is my (soon) two year old daughter. I spend ALL the time I can with her, I take care of her 99% of the time. I work when she's napping or 2-3 hours after she goes to bed at night.

It's difficult to adjust to this weird schedule, but I try to focus my efforts and deliver the best I can for my clients, while being able to take care of my baby as I want to.
                              Personal Finance Blog | Dojo's PF Musings

Comment

Working...
                              X