How important is it to pay this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How important is it to pay this?

I recently moved about 480 miles. It was a quick move (we had a month). We made the move for work. We were in a bad financial standing before we moved. Now I am paying off my credit card (about $600 left), I am also paying off several other things, saving for a new car and a place (away from my father's house) to live.
    I got a bill in the mail for an overdue electric payment ($310).
    How important is this to pay?

Are you able to pay the bill?

Comment

It's important to pay it as it will eventually get sent to collections and reflect negatively on your credit. You might call the electric company and offer to make payments on it. Basically, make a plan and tell them what it is. They probably won't send to collections if they are getting regular payments from you. $25 a month would have the bill paid in about a year.
      My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

I'm not certain about this, but I think utilities will ask you for a large security deposit when you get your own place if they see that you have an unpaid bill to another utility. So, say you don't pay your $310 electric bill to one company, then the next company may ask for a $600 security deposit in order to start new service for you.
        "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

They can also put a lien on your house, but I'm not certain that is an issue here or not.

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post
            I got a bill in the mail for an overdue electric payment ($310).
            How important is this to pay?

You have obligation to pay your bill. Pay the bill.
            Got debt?
            www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

I understand the obligation to pay, but the bill also has an entire month where I wasn't living in the house (an additional $150). The company knew when I was moving, so there is another family's power use on my bill.

Comment

I understand the obligation to pay, but the bill also has an entire month where I wasn't living in the house (an additional $150). The company knew when I was moving, so there is another family's power use on my bill.
                Its not a matter of importance (important is irrelevant), its your name on the bill its your obligation.

You should have called the utility company to turn off everything before moving out. So I don't you think you do. And you'll probably have to settle this with a collection agency eventually if you don't make payment arrangement.

I recommend pay your credit card the minimum. Put this as your main priority before it goes to collection.
                Last edited by tripods68; 11-07-2015, 05:35 AM.
                Got debt?
                www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

I was renting and did notify the company that I needed the electric switched back to my landlord's name, per an agreement we had. I had to pay the last month (July), but the next month was going to the new tenants. I've communicated with them, but haven't received much help.

I'm am just wondering if I have to pay the full $310 even though I was only responsible for $150. I've made one payment towards it already, so I am not worried about it going to collections. I haven't ignored it, but I am a little annoyed about the additional charges for a month I wasn't even in the state, let alone the house.

Comment

that should've been addressed in writing or by you turning off the power on the day you moved. I would not let a utility bill go, I believe it counts more on your credit history than say an unpaid store cc balance.

Comment

It was in writing. In fact, I have the email and have sent it to them. What do you think I should do?

Comment

It was in writing. In fact, I have the email and have sent it to them. What do you think I should do?
                        I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor. Good luck.

Comment

You must pay this to avoid spoiling your credit rating.

Comment

Call and explain the situation then get a new bill and pay it.
                            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

First off, I hope you read this. lol
                              Second, the company only cares about who is the bill named under.
                              Third, if you have written proof that the other party is supposed to pay you, then you can fight that.

This is what I would do:

1) Pay off the electricity bill using your own money. (Sorry, there's really no work around here)
                              2) Demand payment from the party that owes you money. (email, letter, etc.)
                              3) if that party does not respond to your demands, you can file through small claims court.

This is a very useful legal tool nobody knows about. Goodluck! Let me know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                              X