Retail Christmas Store Hours
While stores like Target have extended their hours, Costco has decided to stick with their normal operating hours in the lead-up to Christmas. Costco did extend its Saturday hours by an hour for November and December (they closed on Saturdays at 7 PM instead of 6 PM) but have not changed the hours in the days leading up to December 25. The only exception is they open an hour early and close early on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day is a day the warehouse is closed.
With the trend of more stores opening longer hours becoming more established, there will certainly be pressure for other stores to follow suit in the future. This doesn’t mean Costco will bend to that pressure. Costco is one of the stores which refused to open for Thanksgiving Day although the trend now is to do that, and it also closes for a few federal holidays when virtually no other store does in order to give time to their employees time to spend the day with their families.
Costco Christmas Store Hours
For those who plan to do some of their last-minute shopping at Costco, the warehouse will be open at the following times.
- December 17 (Sunday): Costco opens from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- December 18 (Monday): Costco opens from 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM.
- December 19 (Tuesday): Costco opens from 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM.
- December 20 (Wednesday): Costco opens from 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM.
- December 21 (Thursday): Costco opens from 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM.
- December 22 (Friday): Costco opens from 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM.
- December 23 (Saturday): Costco opens from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM.
- December 24 (Sunday): Costco opens from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- December 25 (Christmas Day): Costco is closed.
- December 26 (Tuesday): Check with your local Costco store for what time they will reopen.
(Also see: Walmart Christmas Store Hours)
Costco will be opening on December 26, but the opening hours will vary, so be sure to check with your specific location.
Even though the warehouse won’t be open for extended hours, there should be plenty of time to do shopping there in the days before Christmas, and it can be a great place to stock up on bulk supplies if you are having people over. The drawback is the place is going to be crowded with a lot of other last-minute shoppers, and that’s usually not a good way to save money. Most of the time when you shop last second in a crowded store, you don’t make quality gift-giving decisions, at least not as well as you do when you have more time and more space.
As always, if you are set on waiting until the last minute, be sure to make a list of what you need before you go to the store. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation. For your friends who like Costco, or those who don’t have a membership but you think might like to try it, you might want to consider getting them a Costco cash card. Costco doesn’t have a free guest pass, but their cash card acts as one even for those who don’t have a membership.