I’ve personally only been to Louisville, Kentucky once. It was to knock the Kentucky Derby off of my sister’s bucket list. If there’s any reason to go there, that’s definitely the reason! But once I was there, I discovered that there’s actually a lot more to the area as well. And although the derby is expensive, there are a lot of free things to do in Louisville, Kentucky as well. Whether you live there or are visiting, take advantage of these fun, free activities.
Go to Louisville
If you want to learn about a place then the area’s official visitor website is one of the best resources to start. For Louisville, that’s GoToLouisville.com. This is usually where you can learn the lay of the land. Get to know what’s most interesting about the area, what makes it unique, and what the must-see things are whether you’re a visitor or new to the area. You can find events on this website. Moreover, you can sign up for their newsletters which is a great way to get the latest news about what’s going on. While this doesn’t tell you only about the free things to do in Louisville, Kentucky, it does give you a good vantage point for starting to figure out your plans.
Visit Louisville’s Different Neighborhoods
One of my favorite free things to do in any new place is just to walk around. I like to learn about the flavor of different neighborhoods in any city. Moreover, I enjoy window shopping and people watching. Of course, usually I’ll stop somewhere for a coffee or lunch so that’s not entirely free. Nevertheless most of the experience is free. I get to enjoy the architecture, the local parks and the scenery. Plus, I get to get a feel for different aspects of a city. If you’re on that Louisville website linked above, go to menu and you’ll see an option for neighborhoods. Learn more about each one and plan out some trips. Map your own walking tours as a terrific free way to see the city.
Top 5 Types of Free Things to Do in Louisville, Kentucky
If you check out the Louisville Family Fun list of the top 50 free things to do in Louisville, Kentucky, then you’ll notice that there are five key categories of great free activities in this city:
- Parks. There are many different parks in the city. Each one is best for something different. For example, you’ll find good parks for hiking, biking, taking in the views, fishing, playing soccer, and more.
- Free festivals. I was surprised to learn about all of the different free festivals in Louisville. There are art fairs, street fairs, and even The Great Steamboat Race. Of course, double-check on any of those this year due to potential COVID restrictions.
- Arts events. In addition to free art festivals, other creative free things to do in Louisville, Kentucky include summer front concerts and outdoor movie nights. The summertime really is the perfect season for free things to do in this city.
- Free downtown activities. As you explore the city’s different neighborhoods, don’t neglect downtown. Free activities include parades, music, and sometimes the trolley.
- History and nature opportunities. In addition to the city’s parks, there are other opportunities to enjoy free nature in the area. There are a number of preserves. Moreover, there are historical landmarks to check out.
Also look for seasonal light displays, farmers markets, library events and other free things to do in Louisville, Kentucky.
Do you know the area? If you have any other free activities to suggest, share them in the comments below!
- Here’s What You Should Know to Retire Well in Kentucky
- What Is The Minimum Wage in Kentucky?
- Free Things to Do in Topeka, Kansas
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started.