Thanksgiving weekend is a busy weekend. Of course, there are all the celebrations that happen for the holiday itself. But on top of that it’s also Black Friday weekend. If you’re looking for retail stores Thanksgiving schedule to discover what is open, what is closed, and where you should go to get your shopping done, then look no further. We have you covered.
General Guidelines for Retails Stores Thanksgiving Schedule
Each store has its own schedule for Thanksgiving and the weekend following the holiday, of course. However, generally speaking, many stores follow a basic practice:
- Most retail stores Thanksgiving schedule is that they are closed entirely on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.
- Most retail stores Thanksgiving schedule is that they are open the next day, Friday.
- Many stores choose to open late at night on Thursday or very early on Friday for Black Friday shoppers.
- Many stores choose to stay open late hours on Friday for Black Friday shoppers.
COVID-19 Impact on Retail Stores Thanksgiving Schedule
The country has seen a surge of COVID-19 cases as we head into the winter flu season. As a result, many cities and states are tightening up mandates for shopping. This might impact retail stores Thanksgiving schedule. Stores that intended to stay open may now be closed.
Alternatively, stores might be open but have very limited capacity, which has the potential to result in long lines for Black Friday shoppers. Several large stores have announced multiple or ongoing Black Friday sales prices this month to reduce the number of people coming to the store at the same time in one weekend.
Although we’ve done our best to outline the correct retail stores Thanksgiving schedule below, make note that stores in your area may vary due to these changing pandemic restrictions.
What Retail Stores Are Open on Thanksgiving Day?
Good Housekeeping reports that the following twelve retail stores are likely to be open on Thanksgiving Day:
- ACME, which is a market / grocery store. Don’t discount these locations for retail shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Gift baskets, home goods, and bath supplies are all great gifts that you can stock up on at stores like this.
- Big Lots, with likely hours from 7 am – midnight on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.
- Dollar General is also likely to open at 7 am. They remain open until 10 pm.
- Five Below. Although closed most of the day, this store opens at 6 pm on Thanksgiving Day. They stay open until 1 am for Black Friday shoppers.
- Lilly Pulitzer retail stores Thanksgiving schedule varies from location to location. However, some stores will be open.
- Macy’s. Like Five Below, they open in the evening. However, they stay open much longer. In fact, upon upon at 5 pm on Thursday, they don’t close again until Saturday night. Shop anytime for Black Friday deals.
- Michael’s is like to open at 6 pm on Thanksgiving Day for early bird Black Friday shoppers.
- Old Navy. You can expect the store to open at 3 pm on Thanksgiving Day. They won’t close again until Friday night.
- Ulta is a beauty store that opens at 6 pm on Thanksgiving Day.
- Victoria’s Secret opens at 5 pm on Thanksgiving Day.
- Walgreens stores should be open on Thanksgiving Day. Hours vary significantly by location.
- Whole Foods Market will be open on Thanksgiving Day. Hours vary by location. Like with ACME, you can pick up a variety of different gifts at Whole Foods even if it isn’t the first place on your mind for holiday shopping.
Country Living adds that the following stores are open on Thanksgiving Day:
- CVS should be open on Thanksgiving.
- Family Dollar will be open. However, hours vary by location.
- Gordman’s will open at 5 pm for Black Friday shoppers.
- Rite-Aid will most likely open at 7am
Most Stores That Are Open Will Open Later Than Usual Thanksgiving Day
As you can see, the stores that are open on Thanksgiving Day tend to follow a pattern. Most of them open in the afternoon or early evening. This allows their workers to get to spend at least a portion of the day with their families before coming in to work. And it allows retail shoppers to get to the stores in the afternoon to start shopping for their Black Friday deals.
Which Retail Stores Are Closed on Thanksgiving Day?
According to Good Housekeeping, the following 30 retail stores are closed on Thanksgiving Day:
- A.C. Moore
- Ashley Furniture
- Barnes & Noble
- Bath & Body Works
- Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Best Buy
- Burlington Coat Factory
- Calvin Klein
- Crate and Barrel
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Forever 21
- Home Depot
- J.C. Penny’s
- Sur La Table
- TJ Maxx
- Trader Joe’s
- White House Black Market
Other stores closed on Thanksgiving Day include:
- Academy Sports
- BJ’s Wholesale
- Foot Locker
- Office Depot
- Office Max
- REI (which will also be closed on Friday)
- Sam’s Club
Walmart Closes on Thanksgiving But Offers Free Dinner to Customers
Walmart is an interesting one to note this year. They’ve historically been open sometimes on Thanksgiving. However, as Country Living reports:
President and CEO John Furner announced, “This year we have decided to close our stores on Thanksgiving Day – November 26.” In a July 21 memo to employees, he said, “We know it’s been a trying year, and you’ve stepped up. We want you to enjoy the day at home with your loved ones.”
However, Walmart is offering Free Thanksgiving Dinner to customers this year. They are really stepping up in recognition of how hard the year has been. Therefore, they’ve teamed up with Ibotta to offer a huge meal for free. You make the order at Walmart (in advance of Thanksgiving day, of course, since they’re closed that day.) You use Ibotta together 100% cash back. You’re able to get turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and more for your holiday dinner.
Black Friday Retail Store Hours
As mentioned above, Macy’s and Old Navy will open on Thursday evening and will not close again until Friday night or Saturday. Therefore, you can enjoy Black Friday shopping all day at those locations.
After giving employees the day off for Thanksgiving, Walmart will open its doors at 5am for Black Friday shopping. Note that their online Black Friday sales start on November 25th. In fact, this is the third in a series of Black Friday sales they’ve had starting earlier this month.
Like Walmart, Target announced that they would close for Thanksgiving this year. They will be open on Black Friday but have not yet announced official hours. Also like Walmart, they decided to start offering Black Friday deals early. In fact, they’re offering their deals all month long. Stores are doing this in 2020 because they don’t want customers all crowding in at the same time during the pandemic.
Target isn’t the only store to wait to announced their Black Friday hours. In fact, many stores have made a similar decision this year, likely expecting to adjust depending on pandemic conditions. Dick’s Sporting Goods, for example, expects to have normal hours on Wednesday, remain closed on Thursday, and then have Black Friday hours that they’ve not yet announced.
Other stores that are closed on Thanksgiving, and open as-yet-unannounced Friday hours alongside extended deal days (not just Black Friday weekend) include Home Depot and Lowe’s.
Give the gift of savings! Learn more
- Is The Post Office Open on Thanksgiving?
- Is The Stock Market Open on Thanksgiving Day?
- What Is Open and What Is Closed on Thanksgiving?
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started. If you want to be able to customize your blog on your own domain and need hosting service, we recommend trying BlueHost. They offer powerful hosting services for $3.95/month!