In 2020, Memorial Day is Monday, May 25. It’s an official federal holiday, so government offices are almost universally closed. Additionally, while they aren’t required to, some retailers chose to close their doors on Memorial Day as well, giving their employees a day off. But others stay open, hosting exciting sales to entice shoppers. Since every retailer can choose what to do, there’s usually some confusion regarding what is or isn’t open on federal holidays. If you are wondering is Costco closed on Memorial Day 2020, here’s what you need to know.
Is Costco Closed on Memorial Day 2020?
Costco is closed on Memorial Day. While Costco warehouse stores are usually open on Mondays, this is one of the holidays where the retailer decides to shut its doors and give its employees a day off.
Additionally, Costco Business Centers close as well for Memorial Day. The Costco corporate office makes the holiday closures universal across the brand. As a result, those locations follow the same holiday schedules as the warehouse retail stores.
However, you can still get fuel at Costco’s self-service gas stations. Since those don’t require employee assistance, they are still operational on the holiday.
Costco Holiday Schedule 2020
In comparison to many other retailers, Costco closes much more often. For example, Sam’s Club and BJ’s Wholesale open on Memorial Day.
But Costco doesn’t close for every holiday, regardless of whether they are on the federal calendar. Here’s a look at the Costco holiday schedule for 2020:
- New Year’s Day – Wednesday, January 1: Costco is closed
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 20: Costco is open
- Valentine’s Day – Friday, February 14: Costco is open
- Presidents’ Day – Monday, February 17: Costco is open
- Patrick’s Day – Tuesday, March 17: Costco is open
- Good Friday – Friday, April 10: Costco is open
- Easter Saturday – Saturday, April 11: Costco is open
- Easter Sunday – Sunday, April 12: Costco is closed
- Easter Monday – Monday, April 13 (Monday): Costco is open
- Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 10: Costco is open
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 25: Costco is closed
- Father’s Day – Sunday, June 21: Costco is open
- Independence Day – Saturday, July 4: Costco is closed on
- Labor Day – Monday, September 7: Costco is closed
- Columbus Day – Monday, October 12: Costco is open
- Halloween – Saturday, October 31: Costco is open
- Veteran’s Day – Wednesday, November 11: Costco is open
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 26: Costco is closed
- Christmas Eve – Thursday, December 24 (Thursday): Costco is open, but closes early
- Christmas Day – Friday, December 25: Costco is closed
- New Year’s Eve – Thursday, December 31: Costco is open, but closes early
- New Year’s Day – Friday, January 1: Costco is closed
On the two early closure days, Costco locations usually shut their doors at 6:00 pm instead of the usual closing time. However, certain stores may close earlier or later, so you may want to check with your nearest location in advance to confirm its hours.
Additionally, Costco warehouses usually have extended Black Friday hours. Exactly when the retailer will open and close for Black Friday is typically announced close to the event.
It is also important to note that shoppers can use Costco.com any time, regardless of whether the warehouse stores are closed for a holiday. This can be a convenient option for those who want to handle some shopping on a day off.
What Are the Normal Costco Hours of Operation?
In most cases, Costco locations follow a similar operating schedule. For 2020, Costco stores are commonly open:
- Monday through Friday: 10:00 am to 8:30 pm (temporarily closing at 6:30 pm due to COVID-19)
- Saturday: 9:30 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
While the schedule above is an average one for Costco stores, not all locations follow them precisely. Additionally, they are subject to change, particularly while the coronavirus pandemic is still a factor. The retailer only recently went back to its usual closing times. Previously, they had altered them, opting to close at 6:30 pm instead during practically all of April.
Special Operating Hours For Covid-19
Costco is still maintaining special operating hours for older individuals and those with certain medical conditions or impairments. This allows vulnerable populations the ability to shop while reducing their health risk. Usually, these begin at 8:00 am or 9:00 am, Tuesday through Thursday, and last until the normal opening time.
Starting on May 4, Costco shoppers also have to wear face masks. Plus, following social distancing requirements is mandatory.
If you plan on heading to a Costco Business Center, those locations follow different hours. Here’s a look at the typical schedule at a Costco Business Center:
- Monday through Friday: 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Saturday: 7:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
The Salt Lake City Business Center follows its own schedule, which is unique from all other locations:
- Monday through Friday: 7:00 am to 8:30 pm
- Saturday: 7:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Sunday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
As with the warehouse locations, Costco Business Centers may alter their hours based on the COVID-19 pandemic. If you plan on visiting one, it may be wise to call ahead and confirm the location will be open.
Does Costco Have a Memorial Day Sale?
Even though Costco doesn’t open its warehouse stores on Memorial Day, that doesn’t mean you can’t find some amazing deals. The current appliance sale, which runs until June 3, has some outstanding discounts, for example. You’ll also find price reductions on select electronics, food items, and more.
If you want to find out more about the Costco Memorial Day sale, check out the latest sale flyer. You can explore it online or in stores, giving you a chance to spot deals that can help stretch your budget for this upcoming holiday weekend.
Do you ever wish Costco was open on Memorial Day? Have you been going to Costco more or less due to COVID-19? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Give the gift of savings! Learn more
- What is the Difference Between Memorial Day and Veterans Day?
- Simple Safety Tips for Barbecuing Memorial Day Weekend
- Can I Use the Costco Pharmacy Without a Membership?
- Is It Possible to Buy Alcohol at Costco Without a Membership?
- Does Costco Accept Manufacturer Coupons?
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started.