You already likely know that having a Costco membership means receiving major discounts on a variety of items including alcohol, groceries (yes, even organic fruits and vegetables), electronics and more. However, here are some ways to save even more at Costco that you may not have known:
- Men’s clothing items and accessories. From leather belts to wool socks and underwear, Costco seems like your go-to to purchase quality undershirts and accessories at a lower cost. For example, the Kirkland Signature Men’s Outdoor Trail Sock pack of four is $12 while comparable brands like Smartwool offer them at $19 for one pair. Talk about a difference.
- Dinner and a movie. You can save up to 35% with Costco’s discounted movie gift cards as well as from some well-known restaurants like Olive Garden and Red Lobster.
- Study the price tags. Items with a price ending in $0.97 are national markdowns and are in need of being cleared out. If they end in $0.00 they are local-level markdowns. In addition, when the product ends in $0.79 or $0.49, these manufacture deals are typically at the lowest retail cost available.
- Look for the asterisk. Be sure to also note when the sales sign has an asterisk; this means there is a limited quantity and the item is not being restocked. Thus, when you see this on discounted merchandise, you should consider filling up due to its upcoming unavailability.
- An extremely inexpensive lunch. Did you forget to pack lunch for the day? Worry not if you live near a Costco and own a member card. You can easily grab a quick bite to eat for as little as $1.50. Plus, the food samples are always free. It may not be the healthiest choice, but it’s better than continuing the work day on an empty stomach.
- Live on the edge. Peruse around the edges or to the back of the store to find the best bargains at this warehouse discount store.
- Download the app. With the Costco mobile app, you’ll receive the latest offers right to your phone. Furthermore, you can create a shopping list and keep track of the items you want to purchase during your next visit. If you’re extra busy, you are able to even upload photos from your devise to the Costco Photo Center to order prints for pickup.
- Benefits extending beyond the store. It’s amazing what you can do with a Costco membership, including book a vacation. With Costco Travel, you can build your own trip with their travel package options as well as rent a car or plan a cruise. Additionally, you can purchase auto and home insurance, dental plans, and even bottled water delivery.
Even without a membership, Costco does offer some great non-member benefits such as having your eyes checked, utilizing the pharmacy services or eating at the food court. In certain states, you can purchase their discounted alcohol from the warehouse company.
However, despite all these savings, the best way to ensure you are getting your money’s worth from a Costco membership is to, of course, actually use it.
For more info on Costco check out these articles.
You can check out our articles for Target as well.
Photo: Flickr: Mike Mozart
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.