Veterans Day will be observed on Nov. 11 and restaurants throughout the nation will be honoring veterans and active members of the U.S. Armed forces free and discounted meals from selected restaurants across the nation.
Dozens of restaurant chains will offer a variety of freebies on Veterans Day, including Golden Corral, Applebee’s, Olive Garden, Denny’s, Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse, Red Robin and Longhorn Steakhouse.
This annual federal holiday will be celebrated on a Wednesday this year, therefore most offers are valid only on Nov. 11. It is important to check the details of each deal to make the most out of it. Veterans and active members of the military and their families should anticipate long lines at restaurants that are offering a holiday special.
Many of the restaurants don’t offer reservations, however, so it is a good idea to call ahead and ask when peak times are. It is also required that you bring a proof of service in exchange for a free meal or discount. Acceptable forms of identification include a United States Uniform Services Retired Identification Card, U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card, Current Leave and Earnings Statement or Veterans Organization Card. Check out some of the establishments participating below:
• Applebee’s has been offering free meals on Veterans Day for several years. They offer a free meal that consists of seven different entrees. The meals DO NOT include a beverage.
• IHOP is offering veterans and active military free Red, White and Blue pancakes, or Red, White and Blue pancakes combo plate including eggs, bacon and hashed browns. Inquire at your nearest IHOP location to make sure they are participating in the event.
• Golden Corral is giving out free meals and a beverage to military retirees, veterans, National Guard or Reserves between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m on Nov. 11.
• Spaghetti Warehouse will be posting a coupon on their website and on Facebook on Nov. 3. Print the coupons and get one free entry when you buy another of equal or lesser value.
• Red Lobster will be offering free appetizers or desserts to all U.S. Military members and veterans from Nov. 9 to 12.
• Take advantage of On The Border’s “Create Your Own Combo” meal on Nov. 11 with proof of service.
• Bob Evans honors veterans a choice of free breakfast items from a special menu.
• Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill will offer free meals on Nov. 11. Call ahead to make sure the Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill near you is participating.
Be sure that if you are going to participate in one or more of these free meals that you don’t forget to tip your server. If none of the above catch your eye, there are plenty more opportunities for a free or discounted meal on Veterans Day on Military Wallet or Military Benefits websites.