Men dread Valentine’s Day. Women love it. It’s a gal’s holiday. I realize that this is a generalization, not all men dread Valentine’s Day and not all women love it. But in general, women are more geared towards all that romance and mushy love stuff.
So, how can a woman please her man on Valentine’s Day cheaply while attempting to not go overboard or be excessively mushy? I have a few pointers to share that just might work for you, keeping in mind that what works for some might not work for others. Feel free to take these tips and expand them into your own ideas.
1. Most guys don’t like a big show, especially in the workplace, so don’t send him flowers or balloons. While he might like it, he will also be embarrassed in front of his co-workers and friends. Instead, try dressing nicely and surprising him for lunch. If necessary schedule the lunch date, but take him home for a sandwich and let him have you for desert.
2. Anybody can write love letters. Try writing yours on your body with washable vegetable ink. Start on the palm of your hand and work your way up and across and around and down – you get the picture. It will be one love letter that he will never forget.
3. It’s no secret that guys love tools and gadgets, cars and guns. Volunteer to spend the day window shopping at all of his favorite spots. Make an effort to really listen when he gets excited about some new tool or gadget, ask intelligent questions and show that you’re interested.
4. Ask him to show you how to change the oil in your car. Prepare to get a little dirty and don’t fuss about it, this is something you need to know anyway. Men like to know that their women can do guy things if they have to. He’ll probably think you’re cute when you have a grease smudge on your face.
5. Stock up on the beverage of his choice and borrow some hardcore guy movies that you know he likes. Don’t try to distract him while he’s watching the movies, just be his buddy. Make his favorite snack foods and let him have the day off, if he sneaks in a nap or two, that’s all right.
6. Make him a note for Valentine’s Day on your computer then use it to wrap a giant size candy bar. Tell him that you love him more than the amount of calories in the candy bar. Then let him eat it all.
7. Shower, shave and apply a few drops of his favorite perfume, then put on his favorite football jersey, with little or nothing underneath. Meet him at the door and tell him you want to play football. (Feel free to substitute other sports here)
8. Believe it or not, men like to be pampered too. They will appreciate a nice hot bath, maybe some relaxing music in the background, followed by a long massage to ease tired muscles. Follow with his favorite meal and a nice after dinner drink. Keep the conversation light and minimal. A long, relaxing evening is priceless.
9. Do something he’s been asking you to do, but you don’t really want to do. It’s all about putting his wants before yours. Maybe he wants to take you to a sporting event or for a hike. Maybe he wants you to fix that really time-consuming and difficult desert that you made once when you were dating. Whatever it is, do it for his Valentine’s Day gift. He will value your desire to make him happy and love you all the more for it.
10. Rent the car/truck of his dreams for an afternoon. This one might cost a few bucks but he will be in heaven. Let him drive it where ever he wants, maybe even show it off to a few of his friends. Share his joy and enthusiasm while allowing him to dream.
The biggest thing to remember is that while men might not be overly romantic, they still enjoy the fact that women are. Men also like to know that they are appreciated and loved. It doesn’t take big bucks to show a little appreciation and love.