The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

The problem with being budget minded is other people.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The problem with being budget minded is other people.

    Get her to write about it!! Tell us how she does it - all her hints and mindtricks, etc. What did she say to herself in 'her head' to get wheres she's at!??! Inquiring minds want to know!!

    She sounds ripe for an interview from 'The Budget Man'!!

    Comment


    • Re: The problem with being budget minded is other people.

      I guess it’s that time of the year where my frugality (or “cheapness” as my family says) bumps up against my families need for more junk.

      A few years ago, I purchased my brothers $50 gift cards and a $1 toy from the dollar store. I put the gift card in the toy. They were greatly disappointed. They seriously thought that I just being really cheap. It was funny to watch their expressions that obviously said, “Oh great you cheap a**.” After all the gifts were opened I told them to open the toy.

      Anyhow, I hate the expectation that somehow I must get them generous gifts.

      Comment


      • Re: The problem with being budget minded is other people.

        This is a great thread. I agree with the poster above, any friend lost over financial things like this is no friend at all. I suppose it really just comes down to finding level headed friends.

        I have several friends who spend money like it is going out of style and live paycheck to paycheck. I am working hard to budget my money. We pretty much have a live and let live policy. They can waste their money and I can save mine . It is not that I don't care about them but we don't make it the focus of our friendship. That seems to be what works for me.

        Comment


        • Re: The problem with being budget minded is other people.

          You know- I was talking to the checker at my local grocery store the other day. December is the time to re-stock the wine rack due to all the rebates being offered. I bought a bottle of Argentina Riesling for $3.99 with a $3 rebate. I told her that I would rather have a guest like (or dislike) a 99¢ bottle of wine than a $8.99 bottle of wine. We have several friends who drink wine so I always have some on hand for drop-in visitors. But, we rarely drink wine and when we do, our wine of choice is a very unfashionable sweet wine. So someone drops in for one glass, then the bottle is useless...or gets used in cooking. I like the refunded bottles!! If I said that to any of my friends, they would be horrified.

          Comment

          Working...
          X