Do mega-mansions anger you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do mega-mansions anger you?

Recently, Candy Spelling put her mega mansion on sell for $150 million. The home boasts of a 40 ft. foyer, 73,500 sq ft, an enormous screening room, a gift wrapping room, a doll museum, a two lane bowling alley, and many other amenities.

I got to wondering if seeing such excess stirs up resentment, motivation, or indifference.

no not at all ,AAron Spelling made a ton of money and I cannot imagine the sheer number of people he employed in all he did including the building maintenance of his home
    he personally gave food to children by employing their parents ,may he rest in peace

I have no problem with the success of other people actually I like it it keeps them of ythe dole ;-)

Comment

I am mostly indifferent, although I do occasionally sigh wistfully at having the kind of money to be able to buy something like that... but not buy it.

Comment

I have no problem with people spending money that they have to spend. What good is doing the work and being successful if you don't get to enjoy it?

My problem is all the folks buying McMansions and then going around complaining that they've got no money or how much credit card debt they have. Those are the ones who annoy me.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
          I have no problem with people spending money that they have to spend. What good is doing the work and being successful if you don't get to enjoy it?

My problem is all the folks buying McMansions and then going around complaining that they've got no money or how much credit card debt they have. Those are the ones who annoy me.
          I completely agree. You shouldn't be punished because you are successful, and Aaron Spelling was definitely successful!

Comment

I agree with you disneysteve. Cudos to the people who make all that money. I wish I made more, but I don't do bad for myself. If they make lots of money and do what they want in life, more power to them. Those I don't care for are the ones that spend, spend, spend and can't repay. Live within your means for heavens sake.
            Odd though that so many movie stars and sports players end up dead broke. Even though they make more money than most of us even dream about, they still spend more than they make. I'd rather be a frugal middle class guy myself. Buy what I want and still have money in the bank!

Comment

Indifference. Coming into that kind of money, a mansion would be low on my list. I'd rather spend that kind of money on other things.

Comment

Do you have the MLS listing for it? I'm interested in purchasing it.

Comment

No, I have no problem with people using the wealth that has been honestly earned. And think of the people who he hired to build the house, maintain it, etc. - it put food on their tables, too. I personally do not feel the need to have a huge mansion, but I don't begrudge those who are able to afford that type of luxury, either.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
                    I personally do not feel the need to have a huge mansion, but I don't begrudge those who are able to afford that type of luxury, either.
                    While I don't begrudge those with large homes, I do wonder what the point is. We have friends who had a beautiful, good-size home, larger than average though not quite what I'd call a McMansion. Plenty of space to do everything they needed. Then they sold it and moved to a much larger house that I would call a McMansion. The house is beautiful and they've done a great job furnishing and decorating it but personally, I just think it is too darn big. Who really needs all that space? What purpose does it serve, whether you can afford it or not? They have 2 rooms that I can think of that they don't even use, one that isn't even furnished and they've been in the house for quite a few years.

I'm with MonkeyMama - if I had that kind of money, there are other things I'd much rather spend it on.
                    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

My first reaction is to consider how much the construction and maintenance of a property this size contributed to the economy. Someone built it and got paid for that work. Probably several dozen employees or maintenance companies are employed in servicing this property on a daily basis.

Also, consider the property taxes generated by a home this size that makes it is an asset to the community.

Comment

It seems totally pointless to me. Who could possibly need that much space? I would prefer people try to have a smaller footprint in this world - not needless consumption.

Comment

No problems here. Think of all of the jobs that were created in building and maintaining something like that. It's easy to play the envy card with something like that, but there's a lot more going on there than just some rich person flaunting their money. I personally don't need or want anything like that, but who am I to say what someone else may want or need.
                          Brian

Comment

You would think I would hate it because of the waste (I think people should take better care of the earth) but I am really just indifferent. Whatever floats your boat seems to be my motto in life. If I had that kind of money, I am betting I would be a semi-perpetual traveler rather than owning a big house but that would just be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

What he said! Exactly...

Comment

Working...
                              X