Just switched from Capital One to Ally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rigz View Post

how easy is it to open a MM from capital one if you already have a savings account there?

is there any catch to opening the MM? 1.85% is better than 1%
    I don't think it's hard, but when faced with that decision, I just moved our account to Ally since they have the same rate and no minimum balance requirement. I saw no benefit to staying with CapOne.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

i just clicked a button and it was done. I have bill pay and auto debits set up so as long as capital one is competitive i"m staying put.
      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I'm finally opening an Ally account, thanks to the 1% payback promotion. (I had not opened an Ally account before because I was getting better than what Ally pays.)
        There is a nice write-up on the 1% kickback (errr ... payback) promotion here:
        Ally Bank introduced its new promotion which offers a 1% cash bonus when you move your money to Ally Bank. The maximum bonus is $1,000 for $100,000 of new...

Comment

Big fan of Ally! Their online banking portal is so organized and simple to use!

Comment

Does ally allow you to withdraw money anywhere for free? I have contemplated HSBC since I see them everywhere travelin.
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
              Does ally allow you to withdraw money anywhere for free?
              I honestly have no idea. I only access the account online. I'm sure someone else will know. I haven't used an ATM for a very long time.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                Does ally allow you to withdraw money anywhere for free? I have contemplated HSBC since I see them everywhere travelin.
                Ally's ATM access is effectively free everywhere within the US. They're part of the Allpoint ATM network, so those are free worldwide. If you don't use one of the Allpoint ATMs, they'll refund up to $10/mo in ATM fees within the US, which should be plenty unless you're using an ATM 3-5 times a month (which would be silly). If you use a non-Allpoint ATM outside the US, it may not be free, and they won't reimburse you.
                "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I do believe Ally limits you to 6 transactions on your account each month. I'm not sure what the penalty is for exceeding that.
                  Steve

Comment

Well of course they are offering a bonus, because I just deposited several thousands of dollars in the account last week. After two months, I think I finally have the savings accounts squared away. They sent some signature cards for my husband and daughter to sign, and it took me 15 minutes on the phone just to find out if I was supposed to sign for her (a minor) or if she had to sign. I felt like I was part of an Abbott and Costello routine. But at least the cards are in the mail now.

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                      Well of course they are offering a bonus, because I just deposited several thousands of dollars in the account last week. After two months, I think I finally have the savings accounts squared away. They sent some signature cards for my husband and daughter to sign, and it took me 15 minutes on the phone just to find out if I was supposed to sign for her (a minor) or if she had to sign. I felt like I was part of an Abbott and Costello routine. But at least the cards are in the mail now.
                      You may qualify for the bonus. Contact them!

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post

It looks like the bonus is for new AND existing customers for funds deposited by 10/31. It's 1% up to $100,000 (total $1,000 bonus).
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post

I checked. I deposited the money on the 4th and the promotion didn't start until the 8th. I signed up today in case I decide to transfer other savings into the account, but I might not want to tie up all of my money until January.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                            I'm finally opening an Ally account, thanks to the 1% payback promotion. (I had not opened an Ally account before because I was getting better than what Ally pays.)
                            There is a nice write-up on the 1% kickback (errr ... payback) promotion here:
                            Thanks for posting this, I'm happy to accept other people's money for simply moving around my cash. I just signed up, and I've concentrated $8500 of my cash floats from a few accounts (primary checking, backup savings, and my brokerage money market) into Ally. That cash was earning about the same (or less) compared to Ally, so I may as well move it & let them give me an extra $85 for the trouble of 5 minutes' effort.
                            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                              I'm finally opening an Ally account, thanks to the 1% payback promotion.
                              How does this work exactly? It says you have to leave the money in until 1/15/19. Let's say I have $20,000 in the account right now and during the promotion period I deposit another $5,000. But next month I take out $2,000. Will that count against me or will I still get the bonus as long as I don't take out at least $5,000?
                              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post

I checked. I deposited the money on the 4th and the promotion didn't start until the 8th. I signed up today in case I decide to transfer other savings into the account, but I might not want to tie up all of my money until January.
                                Ok. I saw a post on bogleheads where someone did similar deposit timing and called Ally. They were given the bonus money.

Comment

Working...
                                X