Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats on your watch list?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Whats on your watch list?

    SA Community,

    I've got a bit of funds to invest - and since I love individual stocks as a hobby, I'm on the lookout for new ideas.

    I'm thinking about:

    DIS
    MSFT
    KO

    Can I ask what you guys are eyeing?

    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
    202.468.6043

    #2
    Vti
    vwelx
    aapl

    Comment


      #3
      Nothing currently. I played a bit last March when things crashed but not looking to buy anything at this point. Maybe after the next crash.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
        SA Community,

        I've got a bit of funds to invest - and since I love individual stocks as a hobby, I'm on the lookout for new ideas.

        I'm thinking about:

        DIS
        MSFT
        KO
        We only have a couple of individual stocks. DIS and MSFT are two we own. My plan is to buy a couple of DIS shares each month until I reach my target (I've been at this for quite a few years ).

        What is your thinking behind these 3?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

          We only have a couple of individual stocks. DIS and MSFT are two we own. My plan is to buy a couple of DIS shares each month until I reach my target (I've been at this for quite a few years ).

          What is your thinking behind these 3?
          Well, that's part of why I'm asking - I don't have a solid investment thesis behind these stocks. They just have a good track record of paying dividends and of being high quality.
          james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
          202.468.6043

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

            Well, that's part of why I'm asking - I don't have a solid investment thesis behind these stocks. They just have a good track record of paying dividends and of being high quality.
            Well, DIS has a long record of being very cost conscious. They actually made an unexpected profit last quarter. ( I believe this was attributed to the DIS+ streaming service.) They have invested a lot of money in the theme parks recently. There is a lot of excitement about the new attractions. I think there is probably a lot of pent up demand for the theme parks. They did suspend the dividends last year (and they did not announce when they plan to reinstate them at the last annual meeting in March). We'll see how they are doing with the next earnings report (May 13), but DIS is a long term investment for me.



            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

              Well, DIS has a long record of being very cost conscious. They actually made an unexpected profit last quarter. ( I believe this was attributed to the DIS+ streaming service.) They have invested a lot of money in the theme parks recently. There is a lot of excitement about the new attractions. I think there is probably a lot of pent up demand for the theme parks. They did suspend the dividends last year (and they did not announce when they plan to reinstate them at the last annual meeting in March). We'll see how they are doing with the next earnings report (May 13), but DIS is a long term investment for me.
              Dang, Disney suspended their dividends? I hadn't heard that. That's usually a major red flag for profitability.
              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
              202.468.6043

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

                Dang, Disney suspended their dividends? I hadn't heard that. That's usually a major red flag for profitability.
                I think this is unusual case because they did it in response to the COVID crisis. But, folks who are counting on dividends for income should take note that dividends are not always a sure thing.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

                  I think this is unusual case because they did it in response to the COVID crisis. But, folks who are counting on dividends for income should take note that dividends are not always a sure thing.
                  I owned some Dominoes Pizza shares a while back - I sold when they cut their dividend. In retrospect it wasn't the best move because the share price went from like 80 to 300 in the two years after I sold.

                  Probably the correct response when a company cuts their dividend is to find out why.
                  james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                  202.468.6043

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Nothing currently.
                    I've been adding to my existing positions like always, but nothing new on the watchlist currently.
                    Things are getting a little frothy, and I don't have the time to search for deals

                    Brian

                    Comment


                      #11
                      James,
                      I just saw this article titled, "Microsoft Stock Vs Disney: The Better Long-Term Investment"
                      https://seekingalpha.com/article/442...erm-investment

                      Who knows if/how the Bill and Melinda Gates divorce will impact MSFT. Bill took a step back from management a while ago. I believe most of their fortune will be donated to charity anyway (which they both seemed to be committed to). But, I just saw an article that stated they have no pre-nup in place, so I have no idea how that will impact things. And, (not related to the stock price)--Who gets the house?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Here’s another article on DIS
                        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-is-a-buy.html

                        They are recommending to wait for the earnings report on May 13th to get a better feel for how they are doing.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

                          I think this is unusual case because they did it in response to the COVID crisis. But, folks who are counting on dividends for income should take note that dividends are not always a sure thing.
                          They took on $30B of net debt since Mar 2020. They are bleeding cash. They will survive, though. Sucks if you are a dividend for income kindof investor. God forbid you might have to sell some shares to generate income.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by corn18 View Post

                            They took on $30B of net debt since Mar 2020. They are bleeding cash. They will survive, though. Sucks if you are a dividend for income kindof investor. God forbid you might have to sell some shares to generate income.
                            Yeah, my mom wasn't happy that they cut their dividend. She counts on interest (which has been low) and dividends for income other than SS. Personally it isn't even a drop in the bucket to us as we only own 120 shares and the dividend was minimal anyway.
                            Steve

                            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

                              I think this is unusual case because they did it in response to the COVID crisis. But, folks who are counting on dividends for income should take note that dividends are not always a sure thing.
                              Good point - you can't always rely on passive income. The best thing to do is rely on your own abilities to make money.
                              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                              202.468.6043

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X