Made our last trip to Costco yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made our last trip to Costco yesterday

We joined Costco last year with a Groupon. It was a great deal but we will not be renewing when our membership expires at the end of this month. We just don't find them to have that much that interests us. We made one final trip yesterday to stock up on a couple of items that we do like - their paper towels and vitamin water. We also bought a couple of boxes of Claritin-D because they have a good price.

We also joined BJ's around the same time. We like it much better there and have already renewed at regular price. They have a lot more stuff that we use and our membership saves us a bundle.

I know so many people who rave about Costco but it just wasn't a good fit for us. We will still probably go over there for Claritin-D sometimes as you don't need to be a member to use the pharmacy.
    Last edited by disneysteve; 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

My Dad is a Costco member and loves it. I've been in there with him, and they do have deals on things from time to time. I have a Sam's Club membership. It's a perk from my job, so it's free for me. I shop there on occasion. Sometimes they will have items on sale that I need. Last year they had a sale on driveway sealer. I'll get dog food there too.

I do like Costco's snack bar, so you are going to be missing out on that Steve. They have pretty good pizza. The frozen yogurt is A+ too.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
      I do like Costco's snack bar, so you are going to be missing out on that Steve. They have pretty good pizza.
      When we joined, the Groupon deal included a coupon for a pizza so DW and I had lunch there one day. We didn't think the pizza was anything special. I certainly wouldn't ever order it again. But keep in mind that we live in the Philly/South Jersey area which is one of the very few places in the country where you can find decent pizza (NY and Chicago being the others).

Last edited by disneysteve; 08-09-2018, 12:19 PM. Reason: add image
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        When we joined, the Groupon deal included a coupon for a pizza so DW and I had lunch there one day. We didn't think the pizza was anything special. I certainly wouldn't ever order it again. But keep in mind that we live in the Philly/South Jersey area which is one of the very few places in the country where you can find decent pizza (NY and Chicago being the others)]
        You only say that because you haven’t had Iowa pizza
        Where I grew up in eastern Iowa the pizza style is pretty unique and more recently as people are starting to replicate it in other areas like Chicago it’s becoming known as “quad cities style pizza”. Where I am now in Des Moines we have Chinese pizza which is one of my must take out of towners stops because you can’t find it anywhere else. The crab Rangoon pizza is to die for

I have nothing to contribute to the sams/Costco discussion haha Just wanted to tell you about our great pizza

Comment

• creditcardfree
          creditcardfree commented
          Editing a comment
          I went to that Chinese pizza place this summer and had the Crab Rangoon pizza. So yummy!!

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        When we joined, the Groupon deal included a coupon for a pizza so DW and I had lunch there one day. We didn't think the pizza was anything special. I certainly wouldn't ever order it again. But keep in mind that we live in the Philly/South Jersey area which is one of the very few places in the country where you can find decent pizza (NY and Chicago being the others).

Upstate NY has bad pizza. And requires you to wear a sweatshirt in August.

Comment

Likewise our membership will not be renewed as we already transferred our prescriptions back to Walmart with some adjustments to our meds from the time released version back to regular version. So all meds needed would be covered under their $4 plan. We will just split the pill and take it twice daily. We plan to make our last visit to Costco next week.

The deal breaker for us was the firm got rid of the bratwurst in the food court and other than for a few OTC items like fish oil and prescriptions never bought very much there as other retailers can compete in pricing for most items.

Comment

I couldn't tell their bratwurst from their Polish. I'm pretty sure they were both the same thing. They started selling their own brand of brats in the refrigerated section that is light years better than Johnsonville. I have several packages sitting in my freezer as they will probably stop selling them soon. I buy most of my meat from there and the unique items. I bought my last kayak there and might just buy family room furniture soon. I haven't used their pharmacy as they are always the highest in the area for our scripts and the fresh fruit section is filled with rotting fruit. It is disgusting.

Comment

We don't even have a Costco in the Erie, PA area. There is a Sam's club but I never liked it as they packaged too many things together. Such as if you want ketchup you also have to buy mustard and pickle relish. Well, we would use some mustard, but never the pickle relish. Because of the large packages, it was always more costly than using coupons and keeping track of sales at regular grocery stores. I haven't been in one in years though. I don't like the idea of having to pay to shop at a store!

Forgot to mention. We have the occasional good pizza in our area, but I like my homemade pizza the best.
              Gailete
              http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

We are moving to NYC in about 3 months and plan to get a BJ's membership. We used it with our friends 8 years ago, when we were tourists, so it might make sense to use it now ourselves.
                Personal Finance Blog | Dojo's PF Musings

Comment

costco for everything including my new couch. I love their auto and home insurance
                  LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X