• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snave View Post
    also co-own a restaurant.
    How did that survive COVID?

Comment

Even at the lowly paid end of the workforce some people are finding themselves able to move up a little bit in the current climate. A relative of a relative is in his late twenties and lives rural. He has been through eight jobs in the last year, taking new jobs to get a little bit more pay. He now has to drive 90 miles each way but is happy that he has finally been able to make a little headway.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
        Even at the lowly paid end of the workforce some people are finding themselves able to move up a little bit in the current climate. A relative of a relative is in his late twenties and lives rural. He has been through eight jobs in the last year, taking new jobs to get a little bit more pay. He now has to drive 90 miles each way but is happy that he has finally been able to make a little headway.
        Holy smokes....seems like a move might be in order for him, if nothing else other than to keep making headway without the 3 hour+ daily commute and hundreds and hundreds of dollars in gasoline and wear/tear every month.

Comment

Well, he also helps keep the farming running, and his wife needs to be within that 90 mile radius for her own work in the opposite direction. Several factors need to work out nearly simultaneously for them to make a move.
          "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'm one of those people, but I've not quite gotten the inertia. A FP said I could quit and find something else if I wanted but looking around I have a hard time giving up my 5 weeks vacation.

I'm trying to get up the courage to ask if I can stay working from home but just go in the office one day a week? But I know in my gut the answer is no. They are old school with good old boys management, that thinks your butt needs to be in your chair to be working. I have to give an ultimatum, work from home or quit! I'm not there yet. There is a lot of good about my job, but after 20 years I'd like to do something else because it's not a challenge, but not interested in another job where I'm at.

Plus it's kinda scary giving up the $$. I'm only part time but am paid well because once upon a time I was just going to be a stay at home mom but they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse to work 3 days a week. But the people who made that happen are gone and the ones left are kinda jealous of me, hence my hesitation.

Everyone had to go back to the office June 1st, but I got to stay home because my daughter is a Covid nurse at a hospital and she lives with us. I have no idea when they will call me back, said when case counts go down. I'm hoping I stay home all summer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nutria View Post

How did that survive COVID?
              Well... we closed the restaurant completely for 2.5 months b/c we are downtown and we get a lot of the business lunch and theatre crowd in the evening, so it was rough with none of that. Then, two days before we were to re-open last June, we were destroyed by riots and sustained 100K in damage and were closed for another 6 weeks. We have a great place that has a huge patio so that has helped recently, but it has been tough. Starting to pick up now though.

Comment

Asked DH's cousin if she wants to go back to work. Her answer is that her employer has no said anything. My suspicion? They will sneakily do it last minute so people can't put it out there for everyone to chew on and spill to media.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                  Asked DH's cousin if she wants to go back to work. Her answer is that her employer has no said anything. My suspicion? They will sneakily do it last minute so people can't put it out there for everyone to chew on and spill to media.
                  I can't really imagine the media would care at this point...just about everything is open for business / in-person again. Allowing remote work is more about employee retention and offering greater flexibility now than it is mitigating the pandemic or creating safety.

Both DH and I have since waved goodbye to inflexible employers and that kind of backwards thinking and leadership anxiety. There's no reason for us to support organizations that refuse to change with the times when we can sell our skills elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                    Asked DH's cousin if she wants to go back to work. Her answer is that her employer has no said anything.
                    As written, those two sentences are not related. Is DH's cousin waiting for what her employer says before making up her mind?

Comment

My wife is considering it. She's corporate credit. They have changed from formerly 100% in office ---> (during pandemic) FUll remote ---> (now) Hybrid [seemingly the most popular of the 3 options] --> (soon/near future) likely back in office 100% mandatory.

She loved the hybrid schedule soo much + her company is not very competitive in pay = she will be heavily considering leaving companies.

*Note - She supported me when I quit my corporate job in 2020 (my timing was hilariously awful, resigning a few hundred hours before the apocalypse unrolled in Feb 2021) .

We worked really hard to earn/save our economic freedom (not buy **** we cant afford + pay for the stuff we own). So we can totally afford it, but i'll have to get creative for health insurance. Right now our #1 threat financially (as it has been for the past 6 ish years) = American Healthcare System. I've done (IMO) a pretty good job insulating us from other financial threats that are controllable (stock market volatility, currency volatility, bill payment liability, and I've been learning/earning skills/experience from many many sectors, so I'm pretty useful in multiple industries, should I need to go back to the W2 - Labor market).

Comment

I hope this just results in our working community being more satisfied with their choices and new daily task requirements. A mental stress reduction would be WELL received by our workforce in USA, I imagine the same globally.

(I can sympathize with people who want any of the three Office 100%, Hybrid, or Full remote. As they all hold different benefits of one another)

Comment

Working...
                        X