Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow. Facebook Marketplace in Florida is challenging.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Another issue around here is the language barrier. There’s a large Spanish-speaking population and communication can be challenging as I’m not fluent in Spanish. That’s not a factor at home.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment


      #17
      I did successfully sell two more items today and listed a few more.

      I did wise up and now don’t give the address or put the person on the gate security list until they are actually heading over.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


        #18
        I wouldnt even waste my time selling those items. The things I wouldnt keep I would just donate. Not even worth the headache.

        Comment


          #19
          Lots of ghosting on Marketplace.
          I've successfully bought and sold on there, but there is a level of frustration that you have to tolerate to get the job done.

          Brian

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
            Lots of ghosting on Marketplace.
            I've successfully bought and sold on there, but there is a level of frustration that you have to tolerate to get the job done.
            It just seems way worse here than at home, though it might be partly because I'm listing so many items. At home I only list now and then. It's very frustrating when I list an item and get 20 or more "Is this available?" responses, I say yes, and only a couple continue the conversation. The clowns who make ridiculously low offers are frustrating too. I mean I'm fine with haggling and I set my prices a bit high in expectation of that, but don't waste my time with a $50 offer on a $110 listing for an item that's probably worth 3 times that much.
            Steve

            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

            Comment


              #21
              I've had 29 inquiries since yesterday about a single item and still can't get one person to actually come and get it.
              Steve

              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

              Comment


                #22
                I've also encountered a number of people who, when responding to a Marketplace item, ask for my phone number. Obviously, I don't give it to them as there's absolutely no reason they need it. That's never happened to me before. Is that some sort of scam?
                Steve

                * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                  I've had 29 inquiries since yesterday about a single item and still can't get one person to actually come and get it.
                  I've now gotten nearly 50 responses about this item and still not a single buyer. Everyone says they're interested, they haggle on the price, they ask where I'm located, some even say they will come, and then nothing. The worst ones are the people who have a whole conversation with me and then say it's too far away. The listing clearly states my location. Why even respond if you know it's too far? You're wasting your own time and mine.
                  Steve

                  * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                    I've also encountered a number of people who, when responding to a Marketplace item, ask for my phone number. Obviously, I don't give it to them as there's absolutely no reason they need it. That's never happened to me before. Is that some sort of scam?
                    It can be. My friend recently had a situation where someone on FB marketplace asked for her number and then later said he sent a 6 digit code to her phone to validate she was a real person. She immediately blocked him as he was likely trying to hack one of her accounts.

                    I’m sometimes someone that asks if it’s available and then never responds back. Usually it’s because things go QUICK here and if I don’t here back from
                    the seller right away, I’ve already moved on and found something else. I used to let sellers know if I was no longer interested but I received annoyed messages back so I stopped.

                    As a seller, I don’t let it bother me that I get several inquiries and no follow through. Eventually someone will come get it. I don’t count any interest as real until they’re on their way over. I also don’t hold for anyone - first come, first served. I do this because everyone is so flakey.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by jenn_jenn View Post

                      It can be. My friend recently had a situation where someone on FB marketplace asked for her number and then later said he sent a 6 digit code to her phone to validate she was a real person. She immediately blocked him as he was likely trying to hack one of her accounts.
                      That makes sense. People also ask for the address right off the bat. Nope. Not giving you that either. I've started using the clubhouse address. Once they're actually here I'll give them the house address, or just meet them at the clubhouse.
                      Steve

                      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I think it depends on where you live. Sometimes you don't bother if you realize that it won't work or you are looking at 3 things simliar and whoever is most conveinent is the winner.
                        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                          I think it depends on where you live. Sometimes you don't bother if you realize that it won't work or you are looking at 3 things simliar and whoever is most conveinent is the winner.
                          The item I'm having the most trouble with is a somewhat higher end tool kit, not something there are a bunch of for sale. Mine is probably the only one. So nobody is backing out for that reason.
                          Steve

                          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Another issue here which I know is a South thing is that nobody has any sense of time or urgency. They say they'll come at one time and show up 2 hours later. Just today somebody arranged to pick up an item at 2:30. Then messaged me that he had to run an errand and it would be 3:30, which was fine. I told him I had to leave at 4:30. At 4:00 I messaged him to check and he said he was on his way and would be here around 5:00, which wasn't okay. Why did he think just showing up at 5 was no problem when he said 3:30? At least check with the person and confirm the new time. He's coming tomorrow instead - hopefully because it's a large expensive item that I will be happy to get sold.
                            Steve

                            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                              Another issue here which I know is a South thing is that nobody has any sense of time or urgency. They say they'll come at one time and show up 2 hours later. Just today somebody arranged to pick up an item at 2:30. Then messaged me that he had to run an errand and it would be 3:30, which was fine. I told him I had to leave at 4:30. At 4:00 I messaged him to check and he said he was on his way and would be here around 5:00, which wasn't okay. Why did he think just showing up at 5 was no problem when he said 3:30? At least check with the person and confirm the new time. He's coming tomorrow instead - hopefully because it's a large expensive item that I will be happy to get sold.
                              And Florida isn't even the real south.
                              Try to have someone be on time in Alabama....

                              Brian

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Again, it seems like you're experiencing unnecessary stress over this. Why even bother wasting your time? You're inheriting over $1mil...dealing with idiots on marketplace for a couple hundred bucks or a couple thousand isnt even worth it. Why not just donate things to a local thrift store like american rescue workers? They actually use money to help people. You would be helping the greater good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X