Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow. Facebook Marketplace in Florida is challenging.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by rennigade View Post
    Again, it seems like you're experiencing unnecessary stress over this. Why even bother wasting your time? You're inheriting over $1mil...dealing with idiots on marketplace for a couple hundred bucks or a couple thousand isnt even worth it. Why not just donate things to a local thrift store like american rescue workers? They actually use money to help people. You would be helping the greater good.
    when it comes time for me to deal with this situation I'll probably pick through and take the things I want. Beyond that, I'll let an estate auction company sell the rest. They can have their cut. It will be worth it to not have to deal with it
    Brian

    Comment


      #32
      Just to be clear, I have already taken 8 CARLOADS of items to the local thrift shop and there will be more to go. I'm selling a select few items that are of particular value.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by rennigade View Post
        Again, it seems like you're experiencing unnecessary stress over this. Why even bother wasting your time? You're inheriting over $1mil...dealing with idiots on marketplace for a couple hundred bucks or a couple thousand isnt even worth it.
        IMO that trait is why people who earn a lot (like @DisneySteve) accumulate a lot (like @DisneySteve) instead of being swamped in debt, living paycheck to paycheck.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Nutria View Post

          IMO that trait is why people who earn a lot (like @DisneySteve) accumulate a lot (like @DisneySteve) instead of being swamped in debt, living paycheck to paycheck.
          Its ironic because over the years he talks about time is money...how valuable time is. How much time has been wasted?

          Or, do what bjl said and have an auction house come in and let them do the leg work. I know of several churches around where I live that will come in and gut your house and they will hold a sale. They keep the money, but again, it goes to a good cause. YOu simply take the things you want to hold on to and thats that.

          Also, all of us here are pretty frugal, some arent and some who werent and corrected the problem. You do not have to make a lot to accumulate a lot. Im an example of that. You just have to be discipline. Selling items for a minimal amount and wasting a lot of your time dealing with people is an example of stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

          Comment


            #35
            Marketplace was good to me today. I sold an industrial air compressor for $200. That wasn't going to be an easy item to get rid of and it's not something any thrift shop would want. I I also sold a smaller item for $30 (an automotive accessory, again something most thrift shops don't deal with). Of course, I also packed two more cartons for the thrift shop. I'll take over whatever else accumulates by Saturday as they are closed on Sundays and I'm hopefully heading home on Monday.
            Steve

            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by rennigade View Post
              Its ironic because over the years he talks about time is money...how valuable time is. How much time has been wasted?
              Yes, but I'll also say that for many folks (not necessarily in Steve's position, but still for anyone who grieves a lost relationship), the process of working through all of that can be of some emotional benefit. There's some catharsis to packing up and sending away (by whatever method) the belongings of a loved one. That's been clearly apparent for multiple people I know who have had parents, spouses, or siblings die. Over time, the transactional business of it all slowly pushes aside the emotions wrapped up in the person's death. It's subconscious, but the mind's thought processes (including emotion) are closely connected to your physical actions, and boxing up/letting go of physical objects can definitely help people to box up and let go of one's heavy grief/emotions.
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                Yes, but I'll also say that for many folks (not necessarily in Steve's position, but still for anyone who grieves a lost relationship), the process of working through all of that can be of some emotional benefit. There's some catharsis to packing up and sending away (by whatever method) the belongings of a loved one. That's been clearly apparent for multiple people I know who have had parents, spouses, or siblings die. Over time, the transactional business of it all slowly pushes aside the emotions wrapped up in the person's death. It's subconscious, but the mind's thought processes (including emotion) are closely connected to your physical actions, and boxing up/letting go of physical objects can definitely help people to box up and let go of one's heavy grief/emotions.
                This! My mom took 3 years to sell a home that would have been better invested. But she admitted again STUPIDITY yes but she needed time to grieve the loss of the home and what it represented. Sigh. I told her I'd come help and she said no. She didn't want to face the house.

                BEST thing ever was my grandmother in a section 8 rental. Because my mom was FORCED to get out by the end of the month when my grandmother moved. Unlike selling the house she owned my grandparents lived in, she had to do it. It forced it.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                  Yes, but I'll also say that for many folks (not necessarily in Steve's position, but still for anyone who grieves a lost relationship), the process of working through all of that can be of some emotional benefit. There's some catharsis to packing up and sending away (by whatever method) the belongings of a loved one.
                  I deliberately took time away from work so that I could deal with everything without rushing through it. I wanted to give myself the time to go through the house thoughtfully and decide what to keep, donate, sell, and trash. It's definitely an emotional process. I didn't want to reach the end of the process and feel like I had rushed and regret the end result. So I spent 4 full weeks at the house - I just left this morning. It's probably 90% done. My wife and I will get back there sometime soon to finish up and get the house ready to put on the market.
                  Steve

                  * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    I can understand why ds is doing it thoroughly with the DYI process rather than doing a quick rummaging and leaving the rest up to an auction house. I would want to go through every nook and cranny and ascertain that maybe a stash of American gold eagles or Krugerrands were not left behind in a box somewhere.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                      I can understand why ds is doing it thoroughly with the DYI process rather than doing a quick rummaging and leaving the rest up to an auction house. I would want to go through every nook and cranny and ascertain that maybe a stash of American gold eagles or Krugerrands were not left behind in a box somewhere.
                      Lol. I had specifically asked my cousin if anything was hidden in the house.

                      That said, having been in the collectibles business most of my life, I often see value in things that others would consider trash or at least only of nominal value.
                      Steve

                      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X