iOS or Android?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iOS or Android?

Sort of like politics, either or. For me IOS since all apps and photos saved to icloud, Android is not an option for me. Although the Samsung folding phone looks enticing to me.

I've always only had Android, so I don't know much about other operating systems.
    Android has had its share of quirks and glitches, but nothing that makes me want to switch
    Brian

Comment

All 3 of us have iPhones. I have 2 iMac desktops. DD and DW both have MacBooks. DD still uses her old iPod. We have Apple TV. DD has AirPods.

Does that answer your question?
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Android cause it's cheaper and fits in my budget. My phone can do everything an Iphone can for 1/4 of the price

Comment

Android as well. Never been a fan of iOS, or even Mac hardware. I was given a new Mac Book Pro a couple of years ago from a buddy's company, which is just collecting dust. I couldn't cut over, and will probably just give it back.
          "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

I've never been able to use the iPhone user interface. And there's very few options to customize how it functions, so you either like what they give you, or you deal with it. Since I started using smartphones, it's always been Android. The lower cost is obviously nice as well.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

android. no back buttons is irritating. Having to double press, swipe random directions, hunt for a random back button, etc. on each app is irrritating. Apple does suck you into their products with pretty good integration, I like the more open sourceness of android and the different manufacturer options keeps prices competitive for accessories and phones.

I do have an iphone 8 for wifi only, so not unfamiliar with the platform. My main phone is an older S7.

Comment

Android because why would I pay more for ios? Most of the world is on android because of cost. Even in the US on the rich can afford apple products. I'm thinking specifically phones, but did you see the stupid statement by Tim Cook Apple CEO? His idiotic gaffe "students who use cheap chromebooks will fail at school." okay mr privilege. You do realize most people would be lucky to afford a chromebook. Let alone schools who have to afford it. We could afford $1500 for a macbook but honestly should we? Do we need to? $150 (from costco) chromebook is not great but still better. We're a microsoft school and a PC works best. By the way DH has a work macbook pro and personal pro and the personal pro from 2016 works best. Stupid macbook keyboards keep breaking. DH is on his 3rd from work. 1st one had a broken enter button, then a broken spacebar, let's see how long this new on lasts. It's because apple wants to make the look "better" sleeker and slimmer keyboard. So dust breaks the keyboards super easily. And yes he has 2 monitors 31" and 27" for work and usually works off a key board and mouse. But he moves it around the house depending on if he has to sit with the kids for an hour here or there. I recall him for most of the year carrying a macbook and portable keyboard and mouse. It was super annoying.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I bought my first ever iphone last year. Cannot get the mystery "icloud" to work despite contacting Apple. There are many things i cannot stand about this Iphone. There are a few things I like but i have lost things from the Android. One of the biggest was the inability to create a group text to message my basketball players. Seems iphones only wanna talk to other phones. With my Android, i created a Group and named it bball players and then I could text the entire group. With the iPhone, i couldn't do that, and had to individually ADD all 19 players every freaking time. Also the copy paste cursor doesn't work as well. If I copy a portion of text and try to insert in an existing text or message, I cannot tack it on the end where i want it, it just randomly inserts and the messes up the rest of the text body. Big PIA. The alarm clock in iPhone is attached to the Main Volume. So, when i set it for work, i almost was late for a few days, because with my android, i used to turn down the main volume but the built in alarm had it's OWN individual volume control. I mean, I had to turn off other app notifications so my stupid phone would not ping all night. The built in calculator is crap. In the android, the calculator should your series of work and you review any mistakes and erase, etc. So, i had to download a new calculator. The Apple Calender is MEH and I down loaded a Google calendar. The keyboard in the text message doesn't prompt as well and if you bump it wrong it continually turns your speech to Spanish. Had to eliminate the Spanish key and finally I downloaded Google Keyboard which is much better than the preinstalled one from Apple. And, Apple gives you a little storage then wants you to pay. Apple seems to entice you pay for all kinds of things that are fee on Androids.

What do i like about Iphone?

I like Face Time. My kids have phones and my son who is in the military likes to call me with Facetime. That is the BIGGEST plus for me. I also like that i can see if I am talking to another iPhone which appears blue versus an Android. I also have not had any virus trouble which I did have from my Android with some websites.

Comment

Good points Snicks. I ended up paying Apple the .99 cents a month for the extra storage, I don't like paying it but it eliminated the "hassle" factor of the pop up window which indicated that I have exceeded the storage limits which I no longer get.

Comment

Originally posted by Snicks View Post
                      One of the biggest was the inability to create a group text to message my basketball players. Seems iphones only wanna talk to other phones. With my Android, i created a Group and named it bball players and then I could text the entire group. With the iPhone, i couldn't do that, and had to individually ADD all 19 players every freaking time.
                      This is not correct. You can absolutely set up group texts on your iPhone. I do it all the time. You don't need to reenter the participants each time.

Also the copy paste cursor doesn't work as well. If I copy a portion of text and try to insert in an existing text or message, I cannot tack it on the end where i want it, it just randomly inserts and the messes up the rest of the text body.
                      'm not sure what you're doing there but you can definitely place the cursor at the end and paste right where you want to.

If you have an Apple store nearby, stop in sometime and have one of the folks there show you how to do these things. Or just ask anyone you know who has an iPhone.
                      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                        This is not correct. You can absolutely set up group texts on your iPhone. I do it all the time. You don't need to reenter the participants each time.

'm not sure what you're doing there but you can definitely place the cursor at the end and paste right where you want to.

If you have an Apple store nearby, stop in sometime and have one of the folks there show you how to do these things. Or just ask anyone you know who has an iPhone.
                        Or you can just do these things intuitively on android. I have both phone types, and found anything new I'm trying to do or programs navigate take twice as long on apple.

Don't get me wrong, I have no fanboy bias towards one or the other. In fact, I own individual apple stock, and love how people have so much loyalty to buy all their products from apple. Apple is very good at leveraging and increasing the value of having multiple products that integrate well with each other. But individually, the iphone software is pretty crappy. I think the apple app store isn't as well designed as the play store. But there's probably not nearly as much garbage on the app store as there is on the android platform.
                        Last edited by ~bs; 10-18-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

Or you can just do these things intuitively on android. I have both phone types, and found anything new I'm trying to do or programs navigate take twice as long on apple.

Don't get me wrong, I have no fanboy bias towards one or the other. In fact, I own individual apple stock, and love how people have so much loyalty to buy all their products from apple. Apple is very good at leveraging and increasing the value of having multiple products that integrate well with each other. But individually, the iphone software is pretty crappy. I think the apple app store isn't as well designed as the play store. But there's probably not nearly as much garbage on the app store as there is on the android platform.
                          My thoughts exactly... I just find iOS absurdly non-intuitive. Which surprises me alot, because their computers have never been that way! I love apple computers, and my family & I have owned them since the early 90s. But the iOS GUI drives me bonkers!!

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

Or you can just do these things intuitively on android.
                            At least the two things I mentioned are perfectly intuitive on iOS. If you want to set up a group text, you open a new message and enter each contact that you want to include. Then you type and send your message. I'm not sure how else you could do that. I just took a quick look (I didn't scroll all the way back) and I have at least 9 group messages that I use fairly regularly.

And for copying and pasting, you just put the cursor wherever you want to paste so that's pretty straightforward too.
                            Steve

Comment

What I'm really waiting for is Apple & Android (& service providers) to all finally get on board with Rich Communication Services (RCS) chat messaging protocol in lieu of SMS/MMS, or at least become compatible with one another. As Snicks referred to, it would allow for universal read receipts, as well as high-resolution images, video, audio, end-to-end encryption, Wi-Fi messaging, and so on. Right now it's all only app based, and not cross-compatible... iPhones all do it among iPhones on iMessage, and Androids using Android Messages can opt into it, and apps like FB Messenger, Signal, and WhatsApp all do it within their apps. But until everyone gets on the same page, it'll remain insular....

Comment

Working...
                              X