No announcement yet.

Post Your Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just increased my 401k contribution from 11% to 13%. I figured out that I wouldn't quite have it maxed out at the current rate. The extra 2% will get me fully funded for the year.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Made $439 from the bidding war between Disney & Comcast to purchase 21st Century Fox (FOXA), catching some of the uptick in price.

6/20/18 10:09:58 Bought 200 FOXA @ $47.50 for $9507.95
      6/28/18 15:01:39 Sold 200 FOXA @ $49.77 for $9947.94, gain of $439.99

Comment

I have been waiting for a certain Coach wallet to go on sale for about a year. It is normally $195. I finally found it at the outlet store for $30!

Comment

Huge win today! I've know for years that we were outrageously overpaying for our auto insurance but my daughter had an at-fault accident a few years ago so we were kind of stuck. Well I realized her accident is now over 3 years old (actually close to 4). I went online last night and got a quote from another company. I knew it would be cheaper but even I was surprised by the difference.

I'm a little embarrassed by the actual numbers but let me just say that the new policy is 64% less than the old policy. The difference for the year will be enough to cover a nice vacation.
          Last edited by disneysteve; 06-30-2018, 08:42 AM.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            Huge win today! I've know for years that we were outrageously overpaying for our auto insurance but my daughter had an at-fault accident a few years ago so we were kind of stuck. Well I realized her accident is now over 3 years old (actually close to 4). I went online last night and got a quote from another company. I knew it would be cheaper but even I was surprised by the difference.

I'm a little embarrassed by the actual numbers but let me just say that the new policy is 64% less than the old policy. The difference for the year will be enough to cover a nice vacation.
            Just curious, which company did you switch from and to? I feel like ours is super high...newer driver but no accidents.
            My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by creditcardfree View Post
              Just curious, which company did you switch from and to? I feel like ours is super high...newer driver but no accidents.
              Went from Allstate to Progressive.
              Steve

Comment

Was it the exact same coverage? My 6 month policy with GEOCO went for $550 to $675, with no accidents or citations. I may drop collision/comprehensive with my 2007 Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                  Was it the exact same coverage?
                  Yep. Everything is exactly the same - coverage limits, deductibles, rental car coverage, etc. I made sure I was comparing identical policies.
                  Steve

Comment

I know I should probably drop collision on at least my car and possibly DD's car but with the new lower rate, it's really not so bad. I was definitely overpaying for it before. I just would hate to drop the insurance and total the car a week later.
                    Steve

Comment

That is the same thing I did. Left Liberty Mutual for Progressive for auto.

One thing that I hadn't even thought about in conjunction with paying off the rental property (2 loans) was getting a letter from the bank that held the loans saying that they are paid off and to notify your insurance company. Does this mean the insurance will be less? I hope so. That is the project for this week. I haven't gotten the house insurance swapped over and I need to pay the first installment on the premium in a few days. The rental premium is $813 and the house is $1670, for a total of $2483! I think NOT! And I think typing those numbers out just now made them real so to speak. I need to get them lowered ASAP!
                      Gailete
                      http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gailete View Post
                        . Does this mean the insurance will be less? I hope so.
                        Let me know! We paid our house off 2 years ago and I didn't notice any lowering of premium

Comment

As promised that I would post my $300 win from Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                            Was it the exact same coverage? My 6 month policy with GEOCO went for $550 to $675, with no accidents or citations. I may drop collision/comprehensive with my 2007 Dakota.
                            I've noticed that paying the premium in full can be a LOT (20-30%) cheaper than paying installments. I'm sure, though, that the active participants here do that already.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
                              Let me know! We paid our house off 2 years ago and I didn't notice any lowering of premium
                              We are still paying on the house, but the rental is paid off now so in case of a problem the bank won't have its hand out first. I don't know if it affects the policy or not. I dumped getting new quotes for it on hubby a few minutes ago.
                              Gailete

Comment

This year has been way busy and I haven't been feeling as well as I would have liked so some things go shoved to the back burner. But, I finally got a new fire insurance for our house that is $623 LESS than the former policy. Crazy I know since we always feel so short of money but they insured our house for around $500,000. It cost around $110K to build!

Glad to finally get that out of the way.
                                Gailete

Comment

Working...
                                X