Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus, anyone wearing masks or buying masks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in health care, and in urgent care at that. It's literally my job to be with sick people all day every day, even more than when I was in family practice.

Am I concerned about Corona? Minimally. The odds of me being exposed to someone with it are extremely low.

However, there have already been at least 22 million cases of the flu this year with at least 12,000 deaths. And the real numbers are much higher because not everyone with the flu gets officially diagnosed and the cause of many deaths is questionable. A death certificate might say "pneumonia" but not mention that it was caused by the flu initially.

My point is that people are all panicked about Corona but pay little attention to the flu which is far more likely to get them sick or even kill them. Tons of people refuse to even get a flu vaccine. I bet if they announced today that there was a Corona vaccine, some of those same folks would rush to get it.

I do wear a mask at work when seeing patients who potentially have the flu.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
      I work in health care, and in urgent care at that. It's literally my job to be with sick people all day every day, even more than when I was in family practice.

Am I concerned about Corona? Minimally. The odds of me being exposed to someone with it are extremely low.

However, there have already been at least 22 million cases of the flu this year with at least 12,000 deaths. And the real numbers are much higher because not everyone with the flu gets officially diagnosed and the cause of many deaths is questionable. A death certificate might say "pneumonia" but not mention that it was caused by the flu initially.

My point is that people are all panicked about Corona but pay little attention to the flu which is far more likely to get them sick or even kill them. Tons of people refuse to even get a flu vaccine. I bet if they announced today that there was a Corona vaccine, some of those same folks would rush to get it.

I do wear a mask at work when seeing patients who potentially have the flu.
      What do you think about the response, though?

By numbers common flu is more widespread and the death toll already higher. China has people under quarantine and house-arrest, cruise ships are being held, hospitals being built. The response seems disproportionate and reactionary if indeed the death rate and severity is less than the flu.

A wilderness area with a government facility behind where I used to live was just designated as an official quarantine site if it's needed. Talk about weird.

I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist (at all) but I have to wonder if there's something unknown about it or if the Chinese Government is being selective about the data they release. Why would the response be comparatively so severe if the common flu is dropping people in the streets?

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
        if the Chinese Government is being selective about the data they release.
        I guarantee any information coming out of China is of highly questionable value.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

To be fair, though, China is a whole different beast than the US. The population density is extremely high so it's far easier for things to spread. Plus healthcare isn't what it is here.
          Steve

Comment

I was just saying the same thing to my hubby the other day its like more people die from the flu so why are people up in arms...about the corona virus....we are not taking precautions other than the washing hands etc...like you would with the flu

By numbers common flu is more widespread and the death toll already higher. China has people under quarantine and house-arrest, cruise ships are being held, hospitals being built. The response seems disproportionate and reactionary if indeed the death rate and severity is less than the flu.
            I know in Australia they are doing these measures to avoid the spread of the disease just like would with any disease...although there are already people here in several states that have the virus..the only way to stop a virus from spreading is to quarentine the people that have it...same as the people that have the flu you have to stay at home

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post

What do you think about the response, though?

A wilderness area with a government facility behind where I used to live was just designated as an official quarantine site if it's needed. Talk about weird.

I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist (at all) but I have to wonder if there's something unknown about it or if the Chinese Government is being selective about the data they release. Why would the response be comparatively so severe if the common flu is dropping people in the streets?
              I think the risk right now is relatively low. But, that could change. I don't trust the info we are getting from the Chinese Govt, either. I do think this is something that we have to take seriously. The big problem is this is a new COVID-19 virus for which the population has not built up any immunity. This new virus seems to be pretty contagious spreading from person to person (and can spread if a person is asymptomatic). And, my sense is that a higher percentage of folks get pneumonia from it than you would expect from contracting a cold (but, who knows--as the info from China is not reliable). I don't think it is under control in China. And, we are seeing sporadic cases outside China--health providers are going after it to keep it from spreading. I don't know if anyone knows how many cases to expect from one single infection. What is being reported reference the Diamond Princess cruise ship is that 1 person was infected initially and they are up to 218 cases now. I don't know if being on a cruise ship has any additional risks. We'll have to wait and see.

If the quarantines don't totally stop it from spreading--it will give more time for CDC and other health authorities/ providers to prepare. --Like deploying the test kits to other locations than the CDC. Beefing up on supplies and so on. Developing a vaccine.

( https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html )

Comment

Working...
              X