Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use rotary, foil, or manual shavers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use rotary, foil, or manual shavers?

When shaving do you use rotary, foil, or manual shavers? IMHO, manual 3, 4, or 5 blade shavers get the closest shave but for convenience can't beat an electric shaver. The problem with electrics are that they don't leave as clean a cut as the manual shavers. With that said, I prefer to use electric shavers. More specifically, I use a Panasonic 3 blade foil rechargeable shaver which I paid about $50. It takes many passes to shave and it does leave my skin somewhat irritable but I like the convenience factor of not having to lather up which can be quite messy. I'm curious how others go about shaving. Do the expensive Norelco's, Braun's, Remmington's, etc. perform better?

I use a rotary Norelco. I agree that it isn't as close a shave as a blade but it's quick and easy. I do use a blade for special occasions where I want to look my best.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Best rotary shavers
      http://www.consumersearch.com/electr...rotary-shavers

Best foil shavers
      http://www.consumersearch.com/electr...t-foil-shavers

Comment

I personally find electric shavers to be wholly unsatisfactory... They don't shave close enough, so a shave never lasts through the day, so I either have to walk around with a shadow for half the day, or I can use a manual razor & be good for the entire day no problem. I really don't find an electric razor to be any faster than lathering up either, because in order to get even a reasonably acceptable shave from an electric, it takes the same 5-6 minutes it does to shave with my manual razor. Plus, I normally just shave in the shower in the morning, so as I'm rinsing off soap/shampoo, I'm shaving as well. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but with very minor exception, I almost never get razor burn or the slightest nick while shaving. So chalk me up as a manual razor kind of guy....
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I just switched from the multi-bladed contraption to a double edge safety razor. It is much more economical to replace the blades. I had to adjust my technique a little bit, but it provides a very comfortable shave. I never really cared for the electric shavers, but I use an Oster trimmer for my hair.

Comment

Someone bought me a Braun electric shaver for a Christmas present just a little over 6 years ago. It's still going, gets used just about every day.

Comment

Originally posted by autoxer View Post
              I just switched from the multi-bladed contraption to a double edge safety razor. It is much more economical to replace the blades. I had to adjust my technique a little bit, but it provides a very comfortable shave. I never really cared for the electric shavers, but I use an Oster trimmer for my hair.
              Over the last year, I've repeatedly considered trying to use the good-old-fashioned safety razor... the only fear has been learning how to "adjust my technique" -- the idea of a single blade that I attach & align myself just makes me a bit nervous, as does the horror stories I've heard from yesteryear of men of my grandfather's generation slashing themselves up with so-called "safety razors". Related note, I've also started to consider switching from canned foam to shaving soap with a badger-hair brush... Both changes seem at their face completely retro-faddish, but some friends have switched "backward" and have all really come to prefer it... So I'm still a touch undecided.
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I use a Mach 3. I don't like electric shavers and the disposable razors tear up my face. The Mach 3 blades are pricey, but they last a while and the extra money is worth it for me to not have to deal with cutting myself.
                Brian

Comment

I found that when I was first ready to shave, the Norelco rotary worked well. Then as I grew coarser facial hair, the foil (Remington and then Braun) was my next phase. I went back to the Norelco with their best offering, and still found the closeness insufficient, and the replacement blades were obscenely priced.

I finally settled on the Gillette Fusion, and am very happy. With Edge gel, I am able to make it until noon with barely any tactile indication of facial hair, and easily until nighttime until it becomes visible.

One critical tip for blades: they dull mostly because of oxidation from being put away wet. So after every use, I blow sharply on the blades to remove most of the water. I am able to get 2-3 months per blade doing this, and I have hardcore Mediterranean blood!

Comment

On my wishlist someday. For me shaving is a daily ritual so the high price should be justifiable in the long run.

Comment

Rotary Norelco for me as well. Two years after buying it, I found an after Christmas clearance where they were selling car adapters for that shaver for $1. I picked one up, and now I can shave while I am waiting for the lights to change on the way to the office each day. I can now leave later for work . This works great for me.
                      Don't torture yourself, thats what I'm here for.

Comment

I use a Gillette Sensor Excel. Then again I only shave once every 3-4 days so i dont go blades as quickly. Being asian, I don't get as much facial hair as my friends. My coworkers used to call me "patches" when i tried to grow a beard LOL.
                        "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Howdy! Hey, would you mind letting me know which electric shaver you’re using? I want to buy a new one and yet the best one of course.

Comment

I grow a beard like a man. I do however have to shave my upper face/cheeks and neck. I use giant brand 2 blade razors. I think you get 15 razors for $3. I use one razor twice then throw it out. One razor lasts about 2 weeks.

Ive tried electric and safety razors..more specifically the Merkur futur. The Merkur razors look cool...thats about it. Remember...you're removing hair from your face. Those who like to make it an experience with badger brushes, fancy soap, and other accessories need to get out more. Your life is a bore.
                            Last edited by rennigade; 11-14-2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I prefer those manual disposable shavers, it's perfect for me, as my shavers tend to disappear all the time...

Comment

Working...
                              X