Your Lesser Known Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Lesser Known Tips

May I ask, what everyone's favorite lesser-known thrifty tips are? I feel like I read the same ones over and over again, and we could all benefit by making public the tips we find effective, and don't read about very often.

Re: Your Lesser Known Tips

Here's one: we keep a bucket in our shower to catch the water as we wait for it to heat up. The we use that water for our plants. We catch quite a bit of water and feel good knowing it's going in our garden and not into the sewer.

Comment

I wash my car windows and bathroom mirrors with diluted vinager to keep them from fogging up and they clean better on a rainy day with the wipers going.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is a lesser known tip or not, but I buy my pop and snacks in bulk at a warehouse store and stock them at work. Out work vending machines charge $1.25 for snacks and $1.50 for pop. I get both for less than 20 cents each at the warehouse stores. It reduced the amount I was spending each week by over $10 on those things.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Sdc: I'm wondering about the diluted vinegar - does it leave a strong odor in your car since it's a confined space?

Comment

Try 'Googling' salt, vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. They have literally hundreds of additional uses, from teeth cleaning and deodorising fridges, to weed killing.

Here, in UK, we had a series of excellent 10 minute tv programmes called "Tips of the trade" in one of which, the housekeeper of a stately home showed that she used diluted vinegar to polish antique furniture. It certainly works on mine - which is just old! It also does a first class job of window cleaning, polished with newspaper.

Comment

My favorite tip is to substitute one tablespoon soy flour and one tablespoon water for an egg in any baking. I got this one form the tightwad gazette.

Comment

I get up early on Sunday Morning and head to our local Farmer's Market - it's so much cheaper than buying fruit and vegetables at thesupermarket. And the fruits and vegatables are so much fresher. They last longer than the stuff at the supermarket too. They last the week so I am set with all my cooking. It's also great fun to wander around all the stalls.

Comment

Refills- I buy milk, juice and cleaning products all from l shops where you bring your own containers. Buy jam in tins and decant into jars, baking supplies in bags and decant into tins- try not to pay for containers
                  Half and Half- mix most things half expensive, half cheap brand- I do this with kitty kibble, bubble bath etc

Comment

Just a few quick things to add:

1. I use newspaper to wipe my car windows before the windex and paper towels...It gets alot of the grime off without being horribly abrasive. I save by using less of the cleaning products.

2. Since I pay most of my bills online, I keep the envelopes that come with the invoice in the mail. It's easy to work around the open window with a piece of scrap paper or sticker. I can't remember the last time I bought envelopes!

3. Dryer sheets - I read somewhere that 1/2 a dryer sheet is plenty for one load in the dryer. So...one box gets me twice as far these days.

4. I use ice cubes remaining after my drinks to water the plants in my home. I also read that this is the best way to water plants, as it gradually 'feeds' them.

5. I use two consignment stores to help get rid of items in my home. They pay me 60% of the selling price, and I do almost no work, aside from dropping the stuff off. It's a nice extra check to get.

Comment

Vinegar instead of fabric softener. I made a bottle of lavender essecence and water up too that I add to dilute the vinegar smell.

Comment

Need to stop the flow of air at the bottom of your door- grab some old jeans, cut off the legs grab some newspaper and stuff them, then tie off the ends with twine or rubberbands and through in front of the door.

Comment

Going to storage locker auctions. I hope none of you are in my area If people don't pay for their self storage lockers, then the stuff gets auctioned off tp pay for their unpaid fees. Many things are boxes and trunks that are unopened...kind of like a surprise package. You never know what you are going to find inside, but sometimes there are some great things for pennies.

Comment

Originally posted by sdc2027
                            Need to stop the flow of air at the bottom of your door- grab some old jeans, cut off the legs grab some newspaper and stuff them, then tie off the ends with twine or rubberbands and through in front of the door.

I've made "draft dodgers" I think they're called similar to this, but with knee-high socks instead of jeans. When I've worn out the feet, the socks are no longer valuable to me, they're long enough to span the width of a door, and easy to stuff!

Comment

Another thing I do is cut up most of our food in small pieces when I cook. This way the food cooks faster, which saves me time as well as gas (or electricity if you have an electric stove.
                              Some examples:
                              cut potatoes very small if making mashed potatoes
                              mash up ground beef/turkey when browning, i.e. no large chunks
                              Bite-sized pieces of veggies. You're just going to cut them before you eat anyway!

Comment

Working...
                              X