giving notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a letter necessary?
    You should be able to just tell the temp agency that you are done.
    You wouldn't even be dealing with the company since you aren't an employee of them.

I guess that you could technically write a short and sweet letter to the temp agency, but a quick phone call should be all that you need.
    Do you even need to give 2 weeks?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
      Is a letter necessary?
      You should be able to just tell the temp agency that you are done.
      You wouldn't even be dealing with the company since you aren't an employee of them.

I guess that you could technically write a short and sweet letter to the temp agency, but a quick phone call should be all that you need.
      Do you even need to give 2 weeks?
      The agency (like any other employer) requires a notice and like any other employer deserves one.
      When you are working as a temp ( although many feel different) you represent your employer and just taking off with a "see ya" reflects badly on yourself as well as the agency as that employer may not feel that group can provide decent candidates.
      Like i said before..... Yes, i can just tell the agency but in the notice time the company often is unbearable asking... WHY ? did you find something else? can we change your mind? etc. especially if they planned on you staying.
      Your time there you are treated as if you really do work there.

Most people do not like to start over again as they will have to do interviews and train another person etc. Perhaps they should send a correct job description it was way overblown and made it seem very complicated but whomever gets this next can deal with the large time of NOTHING to do.
      It is ironic that this company is located in a small city located between some larger cities and for some reason never understood some people simply do not want to commute there.It has great bus access for those who do not drive.
      Honestly the rep from agency sent me to interview because they simply had not found people with correct skill set wanting to work in that area..

I took it because the pay is about $5-7 more per hour for what this type of work is averaging. I thought if they were paying that much it was probably very challenging and i could learn some other skills as it required some items i was previously not experienced at. I know now they simply do not understand what the going rate is and spend money like drunken sailors on leave.
      Sooner or later that may need to be reined in and many here will get a wake up call.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post

The agency (like any other employer) requires a notice and like any other employer deserves one.
        When you are working as a temp ( although many feel different) you represent your employer and just taking off with a "see ya" reflects badly on yourself as well as the agency as that employer may not feel that group can provide decent candidates.
        Like i said before..... Yes, i can just tell the agency but in the notice time the company often is unbearable asking... WHY ? did you find something else? can we change your mind? etc. especially if they planned on you staying.
        Your time there you are treated as if you really do work there.

Most people do not like to start over again as they will have to do interviews and train another person etc. Perhaps they should send a correct job description it was way overblown and made it seem very complicated but whomever gets this next can deal with the large time of NOTHING to do.
        It is ironic that this company is located in a small city located between some larger cities and for some reason never understood some people simply do not want to commute there.It has great bus access for those who do not drive.
        Honestly the rep from agency sent me to interview because they simply had not found people with correct skill set wanting to work in that area..

I took it because the pay is about $5-7 more per hour for what this type of work is averaging. I thought if they were paying that much it was probably very challenging and i could learn some other skills as it required some items i was previously not experienced at. I know now they simply do not understand what the going rate is and spend money like drunken sailors on leave.
        Sooner or later that may need to be reined in and many here will get a wake up call.
        So, it sounds like you need to give the agency a 2 week notice?
        But even if you do that, your employer is going to catch wind of it and most likely will start asking you questions that seems like would be uncomfortable for you.
        How are you planning to handle?
        Brian

Comment

The whole 2-week notice thing has never quite made sense. I understand why employers might want some notice so they have time to reassign duties and start looking for a replacement. But at the same time, why do you want an employee who is unhappy and mentally checked out hanging around for 2 more weeks? That can't be good for morale among everyone else. I'd want that person to get their stuff and leave right away, not hang around being miserable or negative about the job.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            The whole 2-week notice thing has never quite made sense. I understand why employers might want some notice so they have time to reassign duties and start looking for a replacement. But at the same time, why do you want an employee who is unhappy and mentally checked out hanging around for 2 more weeks? That can't be good for morale among everyone else. I'd want that person to get their stuff and leave right away, not hang around being miserable or negative about the job.
            At my job, there has been some discretion exercised with this.
            My employer asks for 2 weeks as a professional courtesy, but often an outgoing employee will be allowed or be told to leave sooner.
            It depends on the circumstances of their departure.
            Brian

Comment

I haven't read any complaints about pay; in fact there was a line above that it was about $5-$7 more per hour than average for this type of work AND you only have to do actual work 1/4 of your day!! It's a temp job, too. Maybe I'm a bit farther along in age and treachery, but I'd milk the hell out of that. Work on your job search, catch up on correspondence, schedule your year's medical appointments, take long lunches, whatever. Especially if this company LIKES you, they've set the bar low. Win/win/win.

Agreed on giving notice; it's a professional courtesy. If you are a good employee, the idea is to give advance notice to appropriately transition or complete work in progress, or to help others get situated to take on additional work while they backfill your position. It's at the company's discretion if they want you to stick around for those two weeks--an angry or hostile employee may be asked to leave immediately (however, still listed as voluntary termination since you provided notice)- and you may or may not be paid for the two weeks.

Another line about working for a temp agency- ultimately they are inviting you to their relationships with employers. Giving two weeks is important to help them maintain their positive relationships and provide appropriate transition. If you walk off the job they're extremely unlikely to try to find you another gig...

I get the office culture and stupidity of it all, I really do. I've been there. And being bored gets really old after a while. But, if you're prepared to take off right now, work through your agency to determine the best course of exit; be professional AND courteous.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
                I haven't read any complaints about pay; in fact there was a line above that it was about $5-$7 more per hour than average for this type of work AND you only have to do actual work 1/4 of your day!! It's a temp job, too. Maybe I'm a bit farther along in age and treachery, but I'd milk the hell out of that.
                The general consensus from friends/ family and even temp agency is to milk it. I see a light at the end of tunnel as an executive they brought in at the same time I started is revamping departments and personnel most people seem a bit freaked out. They have already let another temp go and they are now watching their previous free for all spending attitude.

They have had many long term employees do something I find odd as some are converting from a "real" employee to a contractor / temp placement. Most people want to convert the opposite way?
                I only have until JULY and since I do not need this job it is just prepaying a mortgage and adding to retirement...I guess I could milk it until this executive gets around to cutting the waste of a person they simply do not have enough work for.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post

The general consensus from friends/ family and even temp agency is to milk it.
                  It's easy for others to say that but I've been in that situation. When a couple of our urgent care sites were newly opened, there were shifts where I saw no patients at all. The first couple of times, I thought it was the best job in the world - being paid very well to sit there and do nothing for hours. That got old really fast. After 2 or 3 days like that, I was extremely bored and grateful when patients started rolling in regularly. I can't imagine having a job that is always like that.
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
                  X