giving notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

giving notice

I plan on giving my notice soon besides not liking this job it is becoming more ridiculous each day.
    One new admin lady sounds exactly like Kitty from that 70s show and screechs all day.

As some here on forum are either managers above staff or maybe business owners. what from your perspective would you like in a notice?

Simply put i am tired of trying to make up some " amazing opportunity" or personal reasons etc..................that i am leaving for. or do i simply not say anything just here is my two weeks.

I have given the time (4 months) for we are creating more content and you will eventually have stuff to do.
    Each day is more of the same and the company is growing with more overlap... not clear paths and all is slowing all down more.

Now they want me to download and use an app on my personal phone for their additional step to sign on computers.
    I have no idea how they think it will work because the building is a dead zone and i can not get a signal 80 percent of the time am i suppose to hold my phone to a window carrying my laptop to sign on?????? perhaps we will all walk around the parking lot looking for a signal for the step to sign on???????

the system is not working for anyone and no matter how many bananas are free in the break room will change the cluster here.

It's not quite the same for me, being in the military, but if theoretically any of my folks could walk away at will.... I think I'd go with the advice of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Just inform your manager that you're putting in your notice, specify your last day, and maybe fake it enough to say that you "appreciate the opportunity to work with the team." ....and leave it at that. If they press you for more detail, just tell them that "it's time to move on", or say that you're leaving for "personal reasons."

Especially in today's (gig) economy, it should be no surprise to managers when folks decide to move on. Best for managers to simply accept it and move on. Likewise for employees, don't make a scene, just give notice and pull chocks.
    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I agree with kork. No reason is needed (or appropriate). Just say you’re moving on and thank them for the opportunity. If a superior approaches you face to face and asks why, that might be the time to address issues but not in your written communication. Keep that short and sweet.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post
        I plan on giving my notice soon besides not liking this job it is becoming more ridiculous each day.
        One new admin lady sounds exactly like Kitty from that 70s show and screechs all day.

As some here on forum are either managers above staff or maybe business owners. what from your perspective would you like in a notice?

Simply put i am tired of trying to make up some " amazing opportunity" or personal reasons etc..................that i am leaving for. or do i simply not say anything just here is my two weeks.

I have given the time (4 months) for we are creating more content and you will eventually have stuff to do.
        Each day is more of the same and the company is growing with more overlap... not clear paths and all is slowing all down more.

Now they want me to download and use an app on my personal phone for their additional step to sign on computers.
        I have no idea how they think it will work because the building is a dead zone and i can not get a signal 80 percent of the time am i suppose to hold my phone to a window carrying my laptop to sign on?????? perhaps we will all walk around the parking lot looking for a signal for the step to sign on???????

the system is not working for anyone and no matter how many bananas are free in the break room will change the cluster here.
        Small - well, I respect Kork and DisneySteve's viewpoints and respectfully disagree with them on this point. Turnover is extremely expensive in any organization. If they sit down and calculate it, I bet replacing you could would easily cost at least $10,000, plus any work that you are working on would stop - impacting their operations. So, it is in their financial and organizational best interest to keep you happy. Obviously nobody likes to receive criticism but you'd be doing them a favor by letting them know there are problems, and constructively detailing what the challenges are.
        james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Small - well, I respect Kork and DisneySteve's viewpoints and respectfully disagree with them on this point. Turnover is extremely expensive in any organization. If they sit down and calculate it, I bet replacing you could would easily cost at least $10,000, plus any work that you are working on would stop - impacting their operations. So, it is in their financial and organizational best interest to keep you happy. Obviously nobody likes to receive criticism but you'd be doing them a favor by letting them know there are problems, and constructively detailing what the challenges are.
          That's valid. Definitely expensive to replace trained, effective, successful employees. And exit interviews are commonplace in many companies, and absolutely an appropriate setting for discussing concerns that lead to your departure. So I'd say that if they ask you for your opinions in an exit interview, certainly be honest & forthright in explaining your opinions & frustrations. I guess I just mean not to be publicly vocal about why you're leaving. No reason to stir the pot with other employees, or burn bridges.
          "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Dear xxxx,

Please accept this letter to inform you that I am resigning from “Company X. “

My last day will be “month day year”.

Sincerely
            smallsteps

Comment

James, everything you said is true, but the question was what should the letter of resignation say? It should be exactly as Jluke said above, and maybe "Thank you for the opportunity you've provided during my time here."

The stuff you mentioned doesn't belong in the resignation letter. Plus, OP has said in other threads that they've had those conversations more than once and nothing has changed, which is why they're leaving. If there is an exit interview of some sort, sure, bring stuff up then, but not in the letter.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

There is really no point to vent at an exit interview.

HR is not your friend. Just smile and say thank you for the opportunity.

you will not change the culture if that is the accepted norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
                  There is really no point to vent at an exit interview.
                  I think there's a difference between venting and constructive criticism. You shouldn't trash the place but if asked, "Why are you leaving?" or "Is there anything we could have done differently that would have changed your mind?" I think it's fine to calmly and factually state some reasons.

It's been my experience that hearing about an issue once or twice might not change anything but hearing about the same issue over and over and over can eventually lead to change. If the employer comes to the realization that turnover is high and everyone who leaves mentions the same problems, they might ultimately get the message.

At my job, we were having both recruitment and retention issues for a while. Numerous people reported the same concerns either upon leaving or during the interview process after which they opted not to come onboard. Finally, administration made some changes to address those concerns and suddenly retention went to nearly 100% and recruitment took off like wildfire and we hired a slew of new people. There's nothing wrong with speaking up. Just do it respectfully and stick to facts.
                  Steve

Comment

This type of MFA is becoming common place, I think. Have you asked the technology department if there is an alternative such as receiving a code on the device or using your fingerprint? If the tech folks are in a different location they may not be aware of the cellphone issues at your building.

As far as giving notice, I agree with the short and sweet approach. Whenever you have lined up what you need to line up before giving notice, give your notice and move on. Good luck.

Comment

Two-step verification is getting pretty common. It adds a layer of security so that even if your password gets hacked, the account still can't be accessed without the code sent to your cell phone, which the hacker wouldn't have.

If the system doesn't work in the location, though, they need to come up with a better system.
                      Steve

Comment

One question about all of this. Aren't you there through a temp agency? Or were you permanently hired by the company? If it's through a temp agency, do you actually need to resign?
                        Steve

Comment

^^^^^
                          i was wondering the same thing.

pretty sure it is still a temp position

Comment

It is an odd thing...I really only need to give notice to my agency, I am reaching out to them first. ......but in my experience the companies often make it harder like you should be dealing with them also.

The company wants me permanent but I see ZERO future here.
                            They have just given glowing reports to my placement rep. I LITERALLY do nothing all day. They keep alcohol in all the administration rooms some have taken to drinking in the day.

They have given me many items that they say was weighing them down.......... but on a GOOD day I work 1 1/2 out of 8 hours and sit the other 6 1/2 doing nothing.
                            They are well aware of the phone thing but have not done anything to remedy it. Turnover in IT is so large i doubt any could figure out another option for this verification problem. they do not have clear knowledge of who is in buildings, They pay for a security service yet half the day they are missing or watching tv on phone so why do they bother with a MFA issue on laptops.

The project manager that re-did this building for them told them 6 times this will be an issue. CRICKETS
                            NONE of the regular employees paid attention to the directions on downloading the APP for phone I hope when they come back ( many took PTO off before holiday) after holidays they cannot log in.
                            Other contractors are NOT happy either about it.

For a place that claims they want to be proactive not reactive they will not figure out what to do until we all cannot sign in after the holiday.
                            Company issued phones do not work either hard to take seriously VPs walking around frantically asking "can you hear me now ?" like the guy in the commercial.
                            Last edited by Smallsteps; 12-18-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/hrmatt/vide...8370628575973/
                              i watched this yesterday and it clearly sums up alot about where i work and why the work culture is NOT working. I know there are many companies who are still and will still function with out this advice this man states but in reality i see the "cancer" he talks about.

I wish i could be like one of the drones sitting next to me that shrug and just go on ..... my only assumption is they are in debt so bad they have no choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X