Protecting your Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting your Home

Do you guys have any tips for protecting your home from intruders during the holiday season? I know things like informing your neighbors when you leave town or not putting expensive items in eyesight through windows, but I'd like to hear what advice you guys have.

We don't usually "beef up" security around the holidays, it's kind of an everyday thing.

Here's a few suggestions:

Keep doors and windows shut and locked, including garage doors. Do not leave openings for pets--figure out other means if possible.

Close blinds and window coverings when not home (make it difficult to tell if you are actually IN the home)

Keep certain lights on a timer, make sure entry/egress areas are well lit and visible.

Park in your home's garage whenever possible; at the very least, remove garage door openers, personal documents, house keys, valuable items, etc from your vehicles if they are parked outside. (One of the reasons I hate vehicles being parked outside is that it's a very obvious indicator if anyone is home. For outside parkers, no vehicle present usually is a big sign that nobody's home).

Vary your schedule whenever possible to establish unpredictability in your presence around the home.

Check your door/porch daily for notes, packages, etc, and remove them immediately.
    Stop mail and newspaper delivery while you are away.

Closely monitor "service guests" (cable guy, repair contractors, etc) when inside your home, and do a sweep when they leave (check doors, windows). Never give out information regarding your presence to them, i.e. "we're never home during the day" or "we wanted to get this fixed before we go on vacation next week", etc.

Don't hide keys in obvious locations. Don't give out keys/alarm codes unless the person you are giving them to is 100% trusted. Better yet if you can set up a guest passcode for temporary use or have a single lock keyed differently from the rest of the home.

If you have an alarm, arm it whenever you leave the home and in the evening while you sleep. Post visible signage, not necessarily the brand of your alarm, but that the home is electronically monitored. We have a "home is under video surveillance" sign at the driveway, and more than just a sign, it actually is. Many people use the signs as deterrents however.

Glass sliding doors can be easily pried open; place dowels in the tracks when not in use. Consider the use of 3M-type window films for large, ground-floor windows that could be easily broken (i.e. glass sliding doors). The films prevent entry by holding the glass in-tact, very difficult for the average crook to get through.

Hide expensive, rarely-used items in extremely unlikely places. Keep an inventory of those items in an equally unlikely location that doesn't give away their location. It's just so you remember not to throw out the cereal box that contains an heirloom piece of jewelry.

Keep offsite copies of important documents. Very useful if documents get stolen, or if the documents become damaged (house burns down, etc).

Keep offsite copies of electronic data, and backup regularly. Useful if the computer goes kaput, missing, or becomes damaged. Also, password protect your computer's BIOS, or at the Operating System level. Encrypt the drive whenever sensitive data is used. Also do not broadcast your home's wireless network. Password protect it and only allow approved devices to use it.

Long story short...don't be a target, or at least be a slightly more difficult target than the home next door. So much theft and home invasion is crime of opportunity. Don't provide the easy opportunity. My list of things might sound paranoid, but it's really not. It's all "set it and forget it" kind of stuff, and you'll feel better-off and more prepared.

It's also a good idea to run through scenarios with your family, or at least plan out what you'd do if someone tried to enter the house while you were home. For example, what to do if you arrive home and find that it's been broken into? Would you want your kids to enter the home without an adult or police present? Would you enter the house? What do you do if someone tries to break in at night while you're sleeping? What is your response plan for when unknown persons knock at your door? (hint: not required that you answer the door--sometimes establishing presence and ignoring the door is the best plan).

And I haven't even discussed weapons yet...
    Last edited by ua_guy; 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

alarm system definitely

Comment

I think you can show off your presence on your home even when you're gone. Use motion-sensor lights and timers on your TV and Radio and create a illusion that you're home. Home Security alarm system is also a good option.
        Senior Accountant at AceCloudHosting - Providing QuickBooks Hosting Services

Comment

Home security definitely and don't forget (if you can afford) CCTV cameras around. Loud noises will make intruders crumble and videos will make their identity unfold.

Comment

Originally posted by awsinc View Post
            Do you guys have any tips for protecting your home from intruders during the holiday season? I know things like informing your neighbors when you leave town or not putting expensive items in eyesight through windows, but I'd like to hear what advice you guys have.
            That's a question I always wanted to answer since I've had experienced the worst. I learned my lessons from the last year's incident and now I always keep in mind these following tips to get rid of those intruders and to protect my house from them!

• Install a Home Security System. The biggest deterrent for burglars is an alarm system.
            • Don't Advertise Your Travel Plans. There's a reason why airports are a nightmare during the holidays - and it's not just the torrential winter weather. No, airports are a mess during the holidays because everyone is travelling. That is, everyone except burglars, who instead will be scheming ways to take advantage of your empty home.
            • Update/Secure Your Home's Entry Points. As much as they want to steal our belongings, burglars prefer to take the easy way out and go after homes that are an easy target.
            • Be Very Aware of Your Surroundings. This tip sounds a little ominous, we know, but with safety and holiday cheer at stake - it's best to be overly cautious.
            • Get a dog! When most folks think of canines in the context of home security, they think of German shepherds, Rottweilers or Doberman pinschers. While these breeds are certainly capable of scaring off potential burglars if trained to do so.
            • Lock and secure windows and doors. many homeowners neglect to take this most basic step in home protection (an estimated 40 percent of break-ins occur without the use of force), so if youíre going to forgo an electronic security system, use those deadbolts, latch those windows tight and place a strong dowel or rod on the back track of your sliding glass doors if you have them.
            • Place security system signage around your property. You donít have to have an expensive actual security system installed to ward off potential burglaries but you can use plaques, decals and yard signs alerting bad guys to the presence of one. Mine is the "Dangeer, High Voltage" sign.

Hope this list can help! Goodluck and Enjoy your Holiday!

Comment

I hope you were able to find some ideas on protecting your home. I did not travel during the holidays but some of the ideas like letting your neighbors know are good ideas. Alarm systems of course work, especially the one with video cameras are really nice.

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by offbeatmove View Post
                Home security definitely and don't forget (if you can afford) CCTV cameras around. Loud noises will make intruders crumble and videos will make their identity unfold.
                Fake security cameras can be an effective deterrent. I bought some off of amazon and put them around the house. They have a blinking red LED that is very obvious at night. I have a real alarm system but haven't put in a real camera system yet.

If you think a lock makes you safe then buy a lock pick kit and see how long it takes you to get in your house with it. My first try took 5 minutes. Now I can do it in less than 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Kundan Lal Rana View Post
                  I think you can show off your presence on your home even when you're gone. Use motion-sensor lights and timers on your TV and Radio and create a illusion that you're home. Home Security alarm system is also a good option.
                  I really like your advice. Alarm system is always a great option.

Comment

someone asked upthread what would you do if you were home and someone broke in? Well I learned to keep my spare set of car keys on my night stand and if I felt someone was breaking in I'd push the panic button to set the alarm off on my car.

Might be a bit paranoid but I even give a set of spare keys to the kids when they're camping out in the back yard in a tent. That way if they ever felt unsafe they could set off the alarm and hopefully that would scare away whoever.

Comment

For protecting home from intruder various techniques can be adopted like alarm system,CCTV camera and door lock system.

Comment

I think alarm system is the best choice for you to protect your home when you are on holidays and you want to show your presence in the home.

Comment

I also think alarm system or camera on the main door would be a best option.

Comment

Working...
                          X